DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

621 - 638 of 638 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
He hasnt been on since 2017 so i cant ask him but JESUS!!!! How much is the lack of transition to the dash and the pedals causing reflection, going to affect the sound?
The tricky thing about putting them really REALLY far back is that these asymmetric waveguides have *wide* vertical directivity.

That seems counter-intuitive, because they're so wide *horizontally*, but these waveguide actually have narrow horizontal directivity and wide vertical directivity.

JBL uses the same idea and flips it 90 degrees in their Synthesis 1400BG speaker.

If you have a car where you sit low, putting them really far back could really push the soundstage back. Mic Wallace did that in his BMW, and I'd kill to have a setup like that.

But in a vehicle like mine (which I hate) where the driver sits very high, it's semi-impossible to push these kinds of waveguides back, because you'll be sitting in the "shadow" of the dash.

I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a BMW 5 Series last week, and a big part of the reason is that it's just really hard to have speakers under the dash in a CUV. The damn seat is too high. I've looked into aftermarket seats or seat extenders, to no avail.

The other solution would be to push the waveguides way back and move them DOWN.

And, obviously, you'd want to agressively treat the surface under the dash, because the waveguide is going to illuminate it due it it's wide vertical directivity.

Why doesn't anyone run Image Dynamics HLCDs vertically?

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Went and saw my buddy Aaron in Denver to get my compneo motors back I lent him, he has the pro drivers, so I gave him the BMS 4552nd to try out , I’ll give him back the compneos after I replace this set I need them for another install.

Had to take more pics of his install, I love his samurai. It’s such a cool build, his system sounds great. Awesome installer also.

Full-size horns with Beyma 8G40-4 midbass and a crazy t line with a sundown 6.5”sub
That’s tiny and sounds as loud as a good 10”. I don’t know why I love his truck so much.

where can i find e85 gas

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The horns are held there by threaded rivets in the metal. I had to relocate the ebrake mechanism. Ill end up putting weathertech mats over the whole floor and probably fabbing up some kind of grill.

Mattkim made me those acrylic baffles with threaded screw holes so thanks for that buddy.

Clear stuff is 1 layer of fiberglass cloth. Stays pliable but is stiff. Gives me a super great transition to dash.

Tape is there temporarily in case i need to pull the speakers. They are flush mount and i have no idea how id get them out without tape.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts

is that a wookie?

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
whoah!

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
They are .35 cuft sealed pods for the midrange.

They also oscillate in the air at 142db at 28hz.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Do you have any tips for using Dirac specifically with horns?

Use a y cord on rca and make both left and right Dirac sweeps for horns go to only the left horn.

After Dirac put back to normal and both will have the same correction applied

Than you can ajust the timing individually.

But that’s just my car. The bmw I just did Dirac worked excellent on the normal way. He had a much bigger PLD , mine is almost none (4”)

My car is super skinny. It’s half as wide as his car.

But something to try. Lmk how it goes

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
The wife’s van , totally childproof,

80prs
8x12DL
Veritas horns with new b&c polymide de550nd
3 punch 200ix
6g40nd front doors
Polk 12 (that I found in the trash as work and re purposed it)

For a low low dash this thing images very high.
And of course it never fails the throw together for the grocery getter has better imaging than my car.. doh !

·
Registered
96 Posts
I like to see this stuff here. A real man. I am finishing up accumulating the necessary installation gear to upgrade my van’s stereo. I only have 2 more things to purchase and I bet this van will sound better than any other Sienna in the Sacramento area. Yes it’s a formal challenge. I challenge thee... I just need 3 months to install/tune ?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The wife’s van , totally childproof,

80prs
8x12DL
Veritas horns with new b&c polymide de550nd
3 punch 200ix
6g40nd front doors
Polk 12 (that I found in the trash as work and re purposed it)

For a low low dash this thing images very high.
And of course it never fails the throw together for the grocery getter has better imaging than my car.. doh !
Hey Andy,

Did the new drivers get rid of the nastiness that you originally experienced with the Veritas resin body horns?
IIRC you were less than impressed with the initial experience.
Wondering what your thoughts are now?

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
Hey Andy,

Did the new drivers get rid of the nastiness that you originally experienced with the Veritas resin body horns?
IIRC you were less than impressed with the initial experience.
Wondering what your thoughts are now?
Down the throat there’s a rubber ball that actually helped quite a bit it’s a really stiff rubber ball that fits perfectly I had to cram it in there

They sound pretty good now definitely different than they did on the bench, there is a plastic like ringing in the lower end that definitely adds to everything but it’s not that horrible

I like the dispersion on them I think if it was made out of something different it would actually be pretty good

I don’t think it would ever sound as good as Eric’s but different definitely yes but yeah I like them they’re cool. I think I like them more that it’s old-school that I always used to look at in magazines when I was younger and never able to get some will see how long they last in the van

621 - 638 of 638 Posts