DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had our local Car Toys install my stereo this time because I didn't have the time to tear everything apart to re-wire, etc. I thought they might do a better job installing the amps behind the 2004 suburban panels as they are more experience than I am doing it.

I provided as much as possible, even some JL Audio amp wire I got off of Ebay because I didn't want to give them another $50 for the same stuff. I will say the 3 amps behind the panel look good and solid. The power wire seems to be good (2 Gauge from battery to a dist. block and then 4 guage to each of the 3 amps).

They did a fairly decent job but I was surprised on one aspect......using the factory wires for the component speakers (Focal and Infinity).

They just spliced into the wires going from each of the two JL 300/2 amps and utilized the wires into each of the 4 doors and the dash tweeters. The installer told me they almost always do this because it really doesn't make a difference in sound quality. I think the wires are like 18 or 22 gauge.

Does this make sense or should I pull new 12 Gauge wire to each of the speakers?

I plan on installing the 3rd JL 300/2 amp today and was wondering if I should rewire everything at the same time.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Thanks for the link. That's pretty surprising - you have to put in some pretty ridiculous numbers to get more than a 1db loss. Makes me feel better.
Yup. Just to be sure, the oem speaker wiring being used is only from the door to the speaker or inside the cabin as well to the radio or oem amp?

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,007 Posts
I always laugh at those who tell me they can "hear" a difference AFTER they wired their speakers with 16 gauge wire versus soldering to that last couple of feet that runs through a molex plug in the door.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yup. Just to be sure, the oem speaker wiring being used is only from the door to the speaker or inside the cabin as well to the radio or oem amp?
The amps are in the rear of the suburban and they tapped into existing wire back there. From the amp to each of the 4 doors, factory wires.

The Alpine deck sends the signals back via RCA's.

thanks for the link. It does help put things into perspective a little better.

edit:
No factory amps being used. Only 2-JL Audio amps and 1-Phoenix Gold Amp

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
The amps are in the rear of the suburban and they tapped into existing wire back there. From the amp to each of the 4 doors, factory wires.

The Alpine deck sends the signals back via RCA's.

thanks for the link. It does help put things into perspective a little better.
You're welcome. That's a pretty long run for a 22 gauge though. You might wanna make sure that it's at least 18 gauge for the MAX power per channel that that amp can give. If it was only from door to speaker it would not matter much but long runs are just as detrimental as small gauges, probably even more so.

Best way is to check with a DMM. Find its base resistance between the 2 probes and then subtract that from the measurement you get between the speaker connector and the amps in the back.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
However if he's not max'ing his amps all the time then what's the point?

Now if you were doing spl .5db is a different between going home with an award vs nothing. On a everyday system I wouldn't be too worried about it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts