DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so i'm relatively new to car audio and i am about to start a new install on my car. Im thinking of putting in Polk MM6501 Comps in a 2003 Volvo V70, running off a Pioneer AVH-6300bt (already installed) and running them off a Massive Audio Nx2. I also already run a Alpine Type X 12" off a Massive Audio N3. I keep reading everywhere that "install is everything" so before i begin i want to make sure I'm prepared. Are there any tips, recommendations, suggestions or anything else anyone has? I have put in speakers but never comps before so anything that wont be obvious would be helpful. Also if there is equipment that would serve me better in the same price range feel free to post it up. Thanks

·
Registered
896 Posts
Best advice I can give you Mike "take your time", or don't get into a hurry. This is when you cut corners and things don't turn out so well. I know we all get excited to "hear it" now. Use proper wiring, good ground points (not sheet metal), deaden and strengthen speaker mounting locations, protect your speakers from the elements in the doors using baffles. Make sure your mid and woofer have a perfectly flat mounting surface. If not make one. Don't put x/o inside door. I know people hate running 2 or 3 wires through the jam, don't do it less you can keep it aways from moisture. I'm sure others will chime in with some important stuff. Good luck!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, so where would you recommend I mount the cross overs? And will I need to run all so new speaker wire to do the 125 rms to each? If so what gauge would you recommend? Also I've been looking at the JBL MS 62's and I'm debating between these and the Polks, any suggestions?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Thanks a lot, so where would you recommend I mount the cross overs? And will I need to run all so new speaker wire to do the 125 rms to each? If so what gauge would you recommend? Also I've been looking at the JBL MS 62's and I'm debating between these and the Polks, any suggestions?
I would mount them maybe in the kick-area. Most cars have a hollow well behind the plastic or carpeted kick, however not all of them have an opening large enough to accomodate the x/o, but many do. I'd look there, if not, perhaps under the dash somewhere or along the firewall just above carpet line. I'm sure your current speaker wire is fine. I don't get into size of wire for speakers as I do construction technology, less it's for a sub. Someone else will have to help you with those speaker lines, I have too limited experience to help you.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I usually just buy a 100 foot roll of OFC 18 gauge speaker wire - which is also the same wire I use for my subs. Don't be sold into needing 12 gauge wire for your speakers - Unless they are actually mounted 50 feet from the amps.

As for mounting the tweeters, I have always had good results with them in the sail panels (close to your side mirrors). A trick I have utilized in my car was to mount the tweets into the sail panels and then completely cover the sail panel with black speaker grill cloth. I have had plenty of people ask where my tweeters are!!

I tried moving them into the corners of the dash - which has PLD improvemment, unfortunately it also made the soundstage narrower so I went back to the sails (I didn't get as far as cutting holes in my dash luckily)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I think what I already have is 16 gauge so that's fine, and the Volvo at one point at a premium sound system with tweeter locations in the upper part of the door, but the tweeters aren't there? Anyway I should be able to fit tweeters there so that's all good, and I think there is a hollow spot under my dash for the cross overs, thanks a lot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts