DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
unleashing the secrets...thank me later. some tools you can find cheaper locally, but the gem here are the router templates. a bit pricey, but if doing some garage work for friends and local customers it can be worthwhile in the longrun.

been seeing too many folks on here confused about alot of shit and not necessarily doing things right. i hope this helps. with the templates, router, and flush trim bit you can cut mdf, lexan, etc in any shape you want, create inserts, and have flawless lines throughout.

BTW tags suck bawls

http://www.mobilesolutions-usa.com/smartparts/smarttemplates_1.htm

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not too bad for the templates when you account for the amount of time it would cost to draw out, jig cut, perfect, and then reolicate all those jigs.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
At those prices it's really no biggie.

I can make my own for a fraction of the cost.

A TRUE find would be where do they source them from?

Art supply house?

I bet theres easily a 60% markup on those templates.

And I seriously doubt they were designed with car audio installers in mind.;)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
That site is good for a few ideas on what to look for elsewhere.

I do like a few of the jigs designed by MArk F.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
The kick panel templates were probably designed exclusively for them....but it wouldn't suprise me if they were a Chinese OEM product.

Anything else I wouldn't pay more than dollar store prices.

Not dogging you Quest...I just hate to see these retailer gouging installers with cheaply made products.

If theres machined meta....made in the USA.... I can see a high price.

But plastic products are dirt cheap.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I agree that the Mobile Solutions templates are bad ass. I also agree that they are way overpriced. But...I will most likely buy them anyway. If I had a freind close by that had a set and was willing to let me copy them that would be great. But, unfortunately I have no such luck. I'd go out and buy a 4' x 8' sheet of 1/4" ABS right now and get most of the templates I want.

·
Registered
939 Posts
If you want to make the templates it wouldn't be too hard.
Find a local laser cutting shop, ask them to make you some templates. They will either tell you what format they need the drawings in, or just draw them up themselves.

A decent operator can cut hardboard/mdf/plexi fairly easily with as low as 1000 watts, and it should only take about an hour.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i also forgot to mention i get a discount, but if you look around this site you might find the person in charge over there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts