DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I was just wondering around how much you think it would cost for a full system installation? If your an installer how much would you charge, or if you had your system installed for you, how much did it cost. I would be getting a head unit, amps, front stage speakers, sound deadening, the whole shebang. More then likely there will be some custom fabrication, ie, fitting speakers into the doors and or A pillars and kick panels so keep that in mind. I just have no clue how much all this would cost and just want to get an idea. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if you go to a big box place, they will install stuff for pretty cheap, but it is basic installation and I wouldnt expect much. if you are going to a reputable install shop, they will charge by the hour for custom installs. expect $100-150 per hour.

·
Registered
475 Posts
if you go to a big box place, they will install stuff for pretty cheap, but it is basic installation and I wouldnt expect much. if you are going to a reputable install shop, they will charge by the hour for custom installs. expect $100-150 per hour.
$100-$150? Really?
Wow, I should stress upon my wife how much I saved and not tell her how much I spent. :D
Total time for my install would be around 80 man-hours.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
it takes about 8 to 25 hours work to do an instal depending on exactly what you want.

best bet is find a friend/forum member and buy pizza/beer + bonus.

a regular store will charge you #250-$500. just for labour

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By big box you mean like best buy? I would definitely go to reputable car audio shop. So how many hours would you guess it would take for this type of job? Or is there really no way to guess?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
By big box you mean like best buy? I would definitely go to reputable car audio shop. So how many hours would you guess it would take for this type of job? Or is there really no way to guess?
it all depends on you. if you want a basic install where all the speakers fit in the stock locations and the HU fit with only a dash kit, then you are looking at 3-4 hours. the $250-500 mark is pretty reasonable. if you want stuff glassed in, custom pods in the a-pillars and speakers that are larger than stock (meaning more custom work) then skys the limit.

$100-$150? Really?
Wow, I should stress upon my wife how much I saved and not tell her how much I spent.
Total time for my install would be around 80 man-hours.
have seen people spend $5000 on a system where $2000 of it was install costs.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Like said before, if it's just a straightforward install using stock locations and kits/harnesses, probably around $300-$400. When it gets to fiberglass work etc, it could go into the thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
With just about anything automotive related it is the labor that costs the most. Be it mechanical, body work or audio in this case. In general anything electronic has a slim profit margin on it and the shops have to make a living and pay the bills, so it is the labor where they make it.

I would almost be wary of a shop that charged less than 60-75 an hour. A very reputable shop could easily get more.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Most shops in south Florida charge $75-150 per hour depending on the type of labor. Most of the labor costs come from overhead of the. Business.

I am a part time pro an charge $65.
I keep my prices low because I only have a shop, no store front.
You get what you pay for, so when shopping around try to get the exact details. For example many shops I know think a proper deadening job is just some cld on the door skin. But they charge customers 3/4 what I charge to do a FULL treatment.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
JMads87, the topic posted has a Huge Variable Swing toward rates per hour & Fabrication costs. Basic installation is the most economical way out Period. One's dreams & aspirations of a Full Blown Figment of your Imagination Layout will likely run on a minimum is $1,500 conservatively (thru a freelance installer), average $1,900 - $2,200. Expect the cost of other Hidden Essentials to stack up against you in the long run.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Depending on your equipment it can cost as much if not more than your initial cost. I believe in supporting small businesses but a lot of them try to pay their rent on one install. Research and research some more, then install yourself. You have access to an infinite amount of info to assist you diy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts