DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe you guys could help out. I installed the cleansweep yesterday (mainly as just an LOC.) It boosted the levels compared to my previous p.o.s. LOC. When I ran the EQ, it came back as "not full-range", yeah ok. I played with the levels on the stock headunit and then got a reading of good but not flat. That is not even what pissed me off.

Previous to installing this, my imaging was just fine. Now, I am having some weird ass phase issues and it is pissing me off. I checked and double and triple checked the wires going to the harness and everything is fine. This is really pissing me off. How could one product (that really shouldn't affect anything to do with time) throw off the sound this freaking bad? Any ideas?

-Matt

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I ran one for about a year with no issues. I think that it is imperative that you figure how to get a good full range signal at a solid level.

What kind of car is it in??? Do you know anything about the stock system/wiring???

·
Registered
983 Posts
I suggest you give our tech dept. a call at 1-888-JLAUDIO. We'll help you get it working properly. If it's telling you your inputs aren't full-range that's because they aren't and this generally leads to poor end-results. We'll figure it out. Thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
962 Posts
DIYMA has been getting great vendor support recently. Keep up the great service guys!

To the OP, sounds like your input isn't full range...give JL a call :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for excellent support and responses! I have had a few shops install things in my car before (regretably) and I am salvaging what is there. Originally it was wired so that the LOC tapped into the speaker wires for the rears because I was keeping my fronts and was just installing a sub and amp. Since I have replaced the fronts and components. (The stock was a 3 way system in the front.) The car is a Hyundai Santa Fe with stock head unit. I may have to fish around for wiring guides and try and find the wires going to the (original) front components and sum those.

Right now, the cleansweep is showing me that I am not getting a full-range signal. I was caught off guard by this. I am going to play around a little bit more tonight (going out there soon.) If I do not get that resolved, I will definitely call the 888 number. Thanks again you guys!

-Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for excellent support and responses! I have had a few shops install things in my car before (regretably) and I am salvaging what is there. Originally it was wired so that the LOC tapped into the speaker wires for the rears because I was keeping my fronts and was just installing a sub and amp. Since I have replaced the fronts and components. (The stock was a 3 way system in the front.) The car is a Hyundai Santa Fe with stock head unit. I may have to fish around for wiring guides and try and find the wires going to the (original) front components and sum those.

Right now, the cleansweep is showing me that I am not getting a full-range signal. I was caught off guard by this. I am going to play around a little bit more tonight (going out there soon.) If I do not get that resolved, I will definitely call the 888 number. Thanks again you guys!

-Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know if an RTA would be possible. Actually, I may talk to 12velectronics about that, now that I know its probably the positioning. I played around with it for 2 or 3 hours and it felt like I was just running around in circles. Long story short, I am pretty sure the Cleansweep is not the culprit or at least the entire culprit.

I put back in my old LOC and it did not sound a whole lot different (as far as phase goes.)
I then took out my rear fill. No help.
Played around with positives and negatives thinking that maybe my installer was a little too drunk when he connected everything...no luck.
I finally started to eliminate options. I plugged an ipod straight into my amp. In phase sure as hell was not in phase. Out of phase was far worse though. The lows and mids are bearable but the highs just absolutely screw everything.
I have come to the conclusion that the locations I have the components right now officially blow. The tweets in the sails and the mids in the door panels. Nothing in car audio is ever simple.

-Matt

I just don't get why once the Cleansweep was put into the system, I noticed this problem. That is what really has me boggled.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Matt, two things-you can take an rta w/line in and test your signal (not using mic), and if you say what car you have, I - or someone else - may have already done oe integration in it and can help.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
And I am a dope for missing it twice.

OK, I will look for the diagrams on that car (year and model might help but no matter) tomorrow when I can get them.

But the RTA is a great way to see what the signal is rather than blind guessing, which is what we are reduce to otherwise. (Tip - check at different volumes as well).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I had mentioned the car earlier! You were making me second guess myself. AGAIN, it is a 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.7l V6 2wd. I may have some wiring info. I will look on my laptop shortly.

Stupid question here, with so many things going digital, are there any good computer programs that will do RTA? I have a mac and find, more often than not, that there are programs out there are do the same or more within the contexts of a computer. Thanks you guys!

-Matt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does this make sense?

I would check now to see if a few things match, but I am working and its raining here. I started exploring last night and found that the previous installer just spliced into the speaker wire harness that plugs into the rear speakers and used wire from there to the LOC. So I am getting the signal of the rear speakers. I went ahead and took out the rear speakers last night to see if it helped with the phase issues and that is when I found the splice.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
What size are the rears, and do they have tweeters?

Does your system have an OEM amp between the HU and the speaks? Hyundai has actually done that more than many carmakers (anyone remember the original Sonata with the Polk Audio/Alpine gear in it?)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will say that the original system shocked me for being stock. When the front drivers were taken out and replaced with what is currently in there, I was amazed that it was a true 3-way design. A tweeter in the sail, and a dedicated mid and midbass in the door. It is a "Monsoon" system and yes there is an amp between the headunit and the speakers. I think the rears are a 6.5" driver VERY similar to fostex full-range drivers. Similar to this. So yes, they do have a tweeter.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I will say that the original system shocked me for being stock. When the front drivers were taken out and replaced with what is currently in there, I was amazed that it was a true 3-way design. A tweeter in the sail, and a dedicated mid and midbass in the door. It is a "Monsoon" system and yes there is an amp between the headunit and the speakers. I think the rears are a 6.5" driver VERY similar to fostex full-range drivers. Similar to this. So yes, they do have a tweeter.

-Matt
So your OE system has a preamp signal - possibly full-range, possibly flat response, going to the amp from the HU, and then the amp sends signals - probably high and low-passed partial-range, probably EQ'd, to the speakers.

10 minutes with an RTA with a line-level input at your amp, and it might very well turn out that you need no Clean Sweep at all.

But you should be able to grab the HU output to the amp, and get better sound one way or another. Some HU DO have EQ'd signal out (Honda Element and Fit being two examples I can think of) and you would then need that CS.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting. I think I may just have to do that. I as trying to avoid it but I guess that's the way to go. Are there any digital RTA or will I have to go use a physical one?

-Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts