DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
.... i have clients every now an then ask my techs "can you do this after hours", if thats the case thats unethical, period. when that happens i no longer do business with that person. ....
Agreed. Because that is an existing client whose contact with your tech is on the basis of theirs and your tech's contract with your company.

However, if a tech finds outside work on his or her own in the same line of work as their day job, and/or if a person independently solicits for said work to be done, I don't necessarily see an ethical or moral problem with that.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
you are clueless. an employee should want the company he works for to have as much business as possible. not side step them and do the same business on the side. you for some reason think all business owners are billionaires and do not need the money, we are greedy, etc.

do any of you saying its OK have a company? lets see, in my case i pay the employees salary, i pay for his sick days, vacation days, holidays, i pay for his company vehicle, i pay half of his insurance, i have to pay my rent/utilities, i have to pay for some tools, etc etc etc. the employee has to do there job and be loyal to there company, WOW, thats asking a lot.

some of you make me sick, like i said, if a technician is doing side work of the same trade without the employer knowing, thats TOTAL BS and unethical, now if its a different type of work, than who cares as long as it does not interfere with his main job. example, joe works at an HVAC company, he is going to do an install for his buddy in his car, knock yourself out, ZERO problem with that
You make a lot of good points; and if I were the owner - or even a loyal employee - of said business, I my thinking would be much the same as yours on all of this.

Still, I think there is some room for nuance here, on a case by case basis.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Given the direction this thread has taken, here is some food for thought:

Don't Follow Your Passion
Should you follow your passion, wherever it may take you? Should you do only what you love...or learn to love what you do? How can you identify which path to take? How about which paths to avoid?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
As usual in our increasingly polarized world, there are no shortage of reactionary blanket statements and judgements being thrown back and forth from both polarized sides.

So much the better if we were all speaking face-to-face, or if we would all at least behave as though that were the case.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Well, my $30/hr is the rate for my labor. Not an insurance policy. If OP expects liability coverage for side work, they are dreaming... That's why shop rates are high.
I think you might be selling yourself short. Paying all my own taxes, SSI, insurance, overhead, etc., I'm thinking more like $50/hr +. Of course, it depends on the area of the country, but $30/hr just seems at the very low end. Just my $0.02. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on how the relative skills, risks, liabilities and hourly rate of a freelance car audio tech might contrast/compare with those of a skilled freelance handyman? Seems more similar to me than not, though range of skills and liability would seem considerably higher for the skilled full-service handyman.
I've heard $100/hr + argued as a suggested rate for skilled handyman.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
If you know you’re being underpaid why ask for the raise? Just leave.
I didn't watch the video, but thanks to a wise friend, I learned a valuable lesson 30+ years ago, when I was 20: Never expect to receive a raise without making an argument for it.

Although I have at times received merit raises without requesting them, I had to negotiate for the vast majority of the raises I received.

Like it or not, that is simply how it is...

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Amazon warehouse. Newnan ga. Dollar after the 90 days and 10 cents every 90 days after. 30 dollar cap they start at 16.
Big ass sign on interstate 85.
Times have changed.
Employers with your old ass mindset are on the way out man.
5 years from now there will not be a body available with the skills you are looking for. Your just gonna have to pay a young guy. Train him. And hope he thinks your good enough to stay.
Seems to be hard now with the way these guys try and kidnap their employees and keep them from asking questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.