DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Except for the name calling the sid
Yeah, you're a fool for keeping this lifestyle. You should totally just own a trucking company instead, have a fleet of trucks earning money for you while you sleep, so you can retire at 40, riding dirtbikes all the time from 40-80/90 years old. And have a bunch of drivers who dreamt of driving trucks since they were kids earning money for you. When they really should have been owning trucking companies with lots of drivers who.... wait a minute, somehow this plan doesn't really add up? Shocking :p

right ! And the trucking industry is EASY to get into. The ONLY reason people fail in the trucking industry is lazyness. Drivers out there saying “I do 700 miles a day” and then in reality they spent half their clock playing Xbox in their truck instead of driving and do like 300 a day.

I work in the industry it’s a crap ton of little small companies so the bar to entry is low and there is plenty of $$ to be made… as long as long as you’re motivated..if you’re not motivated you’re going to have a $100,000 truck payment and no $ to pay it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
1. This thread wasn’t started by somebody who came into your shop to pull your installer.
2. There’s always going to be customers who simply aren’t yours for whatever reason. Why not let your own guys do that work?
3. Who says all their work comes from you or your marketing?
1. No, this thread was started by someone that's been trying to find an installer for at least 10 months.
2. This is true and people should be free to work on their own time. The problem is that shop owners are also free to terminate employment if they find out and disagree. Some people are going to see this as right, some as wrong.
3. All the work won't, but some might.

****,and here I am thinking im doing good driving truck for a living which was actually mt dream as a kid, and riding may Dirtbike on the weekends enjoying life, apparently people cant just enjoy life doing what they love for a living anymore,,hafuck it, ill keep dodging trees in. the forest and being happy making what I make and not worrying about what others are or are not doing with their lives
If you can make a living doing what you love and you earn enough to live the life you want, I'm all for it. It's what I do.

Shop owner here. If a customer of mine contacted an installer of mine, and they thought about going behind my back I'd be telling them to keep it that way permanently :)
Shop employee here. I get to use the shop I work at for side work I do for friends and family. It's much easier than transporting my tools. When I do this, the shop is making money on the product and I am making money on the labor (sometimes, I really do love this work and would help a friend or family for free but most seem to feel the need to pay me something). Here's an example why this happens. If my mother wants a remote start, there's no reason for her to have to pay full price. If I would do the work during shop hours and charge her less, the shop isn't making the amount of money it could from a regular customer. So, I do work like that when the shop is closed. I would never approach a customer and offer my services in an attempt to steal that business from the shop, nor would I do the work for a random customer that approached me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
2. This is true and people should be free to work on their own time. The problem is that shop owners are also free to terminate employment if they find out and disagree. Some people are going to see this as right, some as wrong.

It’s called little syndrome. There are a lot of rights. We are, after all, in America. One of those rights we have is to pursue work wherever we choose. At the end of the day, so long as the installer isn’t stealing work or materials from the shop, who effin cares?!?! I think most will agree that is they’re stealing work or materials, bye bye. That’s not what’s up for debate here. Some of these ship owners here have egos too big for their own good and feel the need to beat their chest because they weren’t hugged enough as a child or their daddy was missing. Who knows bud it’s definitely insecurity masked by “ethics”. Just this last week, I went to bid a job. Went from $2,000 down to $1,600. Then the client asked to match the other company at $1,500. I took it to the boss., he started asking questions, I answered all of them then I simply asked, what do you think if I do it? He didn’t stutter. Said go ahead. So I did. Made $1,350 in about 6 hours of work. I bought and paid for my own materials and was going to rent my own machine to do the work ($75) when he told me not to and to pick his up. What do you think this makes me do? WORK HARDER FOR HIM.

FOR ALL OF YOU “SHOP OWNERS”, remember this. Your employees don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care. Keep firing people for pursuing their own dreams and watch your turn over he high. Or simply watch them be extra sneaky behind your back….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts

It’s called little syndrome. There are a lot of rights. We are, after all, in America. One of those rights we have is to pursue work wherever we choose. At the end of the day, so long as the installer isn’t stealing work or materials from the shop, who effin cares?!?! I think most will agree that is they’re stealing work or materials, bye bye. That’s not what’s up for debate here. Some of these ship owners here have egos too big for their own good and feel the need to beat their chest because they weren’t hugged enough as a child or their daddy was missing. Who knows bud it’s definitely insecurity masked by “ethics”. Just this last week, I went to bid a job. Went from $2,000 down to $1,600. Then the client asked to match the other company at $1,500. I took it to the boss., he started asking questions, I answered all of them then I simply asked, what do you think if I do it? He didn’t stutter. Said go ahead. So I did. Made $1,350 in about 6 hours of work. I bought and paid for my own materials and was going to rent my own machine to do the work ($75) when he told me not to and to pick his up. What do you think this makes me do? WORK HARDER FOR HIM.

FOR ALL OF YOU “SHOP OWNERS”, remember this. Your employees don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care. Keep firing people for pursuing their own dreams and watch your turn over he high. Or simply watch them be extra sneaky behind your back….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call it whatever you want. IMO, the OP hasn’t found an installer for 1 of 2 reasons.
1: He’s not willing to pay enough.
2: The installers value their employment more than the small amount extra they make on the side i.e. you want to pay me $5k for this job, but I risk losing the much greater amount my employer is paying me in the long term.

I don’t do side jobs for people I don’t know because I’m not a fan of “ever since”.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nothing wrong with let's say a tile setter setting tile on the weekends separate from the tile contractor he works for all week long. This is most likely the same thing his boss did untill he got so much work he couldn't handle it all on the weekends. And if his boss has a problem with his worker setting tile on his own time on the weekends or after work he needs a new boss. Pay well and they don't need extra side jobs but most don't want to pay the guy well that basically does the whole job setting tile. I've been there where I had to do side jobs because my boss paid lowsy and half the time not full time because he made so much off me. These type of bosses don't want to pay you much so you don't get ahead and at their mercy. Not right.

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
367 Posts
In the late 90's I was a Honda/ Acura technician at an Aucra dealership (Southwest Acura) my GM and Service Manager allowed us to do side work. This dealership was SO awesome they even would allow the techs to do side work after hours in the dealerships shop giving us access to the lifts and of course our tool; that we have to all buy our self. Not sure if some are aware, but you're not dragging your huge tool box home with all your tools to do side work in the garage or driveway.
This dealership had the best customer service in our market area and the best technician retention of ALL the dealerships in our auto group.
That technician retention was solely do to the ability to perform side work there on site after hours.
The GM and Service Manager knew this one thing is what would keep techs around in an industry and time that was HARD to get and keep good techs.
Side work is going to happen... period.
It's in no way taking customers/business away from the shop. The shop never had that customer to begin with. That customer would just go find another place to get AFFORDABLE work done.
I have spent a many nights working side jobs at the shop.
A buddy I grew up with ownes his own independent auto shop. He allows his techs to do side work there. He charges the tech a "shop fee" to help offset the added expenses of allowing the techs to stay after hours and work. He has some of the best techs in the city working for him that will never leave, and has great techs knocking on his door for a job; because the shop allows side work.

Just my thoughs on the matter of side work.

·
Registered
805 Posts
P.S. The restaurant in my neighborhood was the only restaurant that didn't have a problem finding labor during Covid. When I investigated why, it is because the manager was letting his employees drink for free during the last 2 hours or so of business.

He thought that he found the Golden Ticket to the Covid employee problem right up until the time he had 2 separate fist fights that I know of and one of the kitchen helpers shot at one of the chefs.

Btw, Alabama liquor laws date back to Prohibition days and the business owner is responsible for anyone that gets drunk on his property.

So my point is just because it retains employees, it doesn't necessarily mean it is good for the business.

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
367 Posts
Who is going to be liable if the vehicle falls off the lift while doing side work at the dealership? Who is going to be liable if when it does it crushes someone?
There is risk in everything.
That dealership felt the risk was worth having. That risk made them the "Go To" Aucra dealership. It won awards in custome satisfaction and lead in technician training and certifications. Not to mention the best employee retention in the group. They obviously felt that risk was worth the reward and it worked for them. Never once had an accident while anyone was performing side work.

I guess if you're scared, you could have your shop sing and agreement of working at one's own risk. Now that not going to completely cover the owner and shop from an accident. But in today's sue happy world nothing truly will..

There are a TON of "what if's"

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
to those saying its OK and employers do not pay enough really have no clue, i can assure you you do not know how to run a successful company, its sickening that your answer is employer is bad, employer holding u down, employer is greedy, employer doesn't pay you enough, etc etc i suggest you look in the mirror cause NOT all employers are out to f there staff

i pay my folks anywhere from $23 to around $55hr, thats salary, they get paid for 40hr week no matter what, even when doing very little when we are slow cause waiting on product, etc. they all have company vehicles paid 100% by me, gas/oil/service as well. again paid holidays, vacation, sick, etc also insurance, i pay half, i forgot, also 401 if they want in on that

to those guys working salary or whatever job how does that stack up, car audio guys, etc do you have these things

like i said, some of you are clueless and have zero ethics and morals and 5-10 years from now you will be in the same situation you are in now

Reactions: KillerBox

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
290 Posts
sounds like you are looking for someone to do "side work" from there daily job as an installer, if thats the case they have zero morals/ethics and not worth a dime IMO, neither do you for that matter if thats the case
Well, that's definitely an unfair blanket statement.

for the OP: $50-$100 per hour is WAY too much money for someone with no overhead. That is a "shop" rate. I charge about $30/hr for remote services. That includes me, a truck, and some tools. Obviously, it is hard to bring a fab shop to someones driveway. So, this is not something that fabricators commonly do.

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
367 Posts
P.S. The restaurant in my neighborhood was the only restaurant that didn't have a problem finding labor during Covid. When I investigated why, it is because the manager was letting his employees drink for free during the last 2 hours or so of business.

He thought that he found the Golden Ticket to the Covid employee problem right up until the time he had 2 separate fist fights that I know of and one of the kitchen helpers shot at one of the chefs.

Btw, Alabama liquor laws date back to Prohibition days and the business owner is responsible for anyone that gets drunk on his property.

So my point is just because it retains employees, it doesn't necessarily mean it is good for the business.
Well that's just Stupid of that owner.
Let's allow the employees to take something that will impairs their thinking and physical ability 🤔
These techs weren't getting drunk or high or what ever and working on vehicles....

IDK. That's just my thoughts.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I guess if you're scared, you could have your shop sing and agreement of working at one's own risk. Now that not going to completely cover the owner and shop from an accident. But in today's sue happy world nothing truly will..
I would say signing an agreement would be the bare minimum because the dealership's insurance policy might not cover the dealership on these moonlighting projects.

So if a major accident happened while an employee is moonlighting at the shop, the owner could be sued for multimillions with no insurance coverage & loose everything (or almost everything) he owns.

·
Premium Member
GILLDON AUDIO
367 Posts
I would say signing an agreement would be the bare minimum because the dealership's insurance policy might not cover the dealership on these moonlighting projects.

So if a major accident happened while an employee is moonlighting at the shop, the owner could be sued for multimillions with no insurance coverage & loose everything (or almost everything) he owns.
Absolutely

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
As usual in our increasingly polarized world, there are no shortage of reactionary blanket statements and judgements being thrown back and forth from both polarized sides.

So much the better if we were all speaking face-to-face, or if we would all at least behave as though that were the case.

181 - 200 of 232 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.