DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 232 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, that's definitely an unfair blanket statement.

for the OP: $50-$100 per hour is WAY too much money for someone with no overhead. That is a "shop" rate. I charge about $30/hr for remote services. That includes me, a truck, and some tools. Obviously, it is hard to bring a fab shop to someones driveway. So, this is not something that fabricators commonly do.
I don’t think $30/hr is enough to cover the liability involved unless you have an insurance policy. An oops on a door panel or sill plate could equal several hours of work for free.

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
290 Posts
I don’t think $30/hr is enough to cover the liability involved unless you have an insurance policy. An oops on a door panel or sill plate could equal several hours of work for free.
Well, my $30/hr is the rate for my labor. Not an insurance policy. If OP expects liability coverage for side work, they are dreaming... That's why shop rates are high.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Or I’m working on your vehicle at your house and I cut my hand and need stitches. You probably need my insurance to cover it and now I may not be able to do my job for my employer, but hey, at least you saved some money. My health doesn’t affect your life.
If I cut my hand with my tools working on your vehicle, thats my fault. Not yours. And thats another reason shop rates are higher. They have to have Workers Comp. I don't. If liability, workers comp, etc is required, then just use a shop.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Well, my $30/hr is the rate for my labor. Not an insurance policy. If OP expects liability coverage for side work, they are dreaming... That's why shop rates are high.
I think you might be selling yourself short. Paying all my own taxes, SSI, insurance, overhead, etc., I'm thinking more like $50/hr +. Of course, it depends on the area of the country, but $30/hr just seems at the very low end. Just my $0.02. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
And this is the part people need to pay attention to. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like you’re saying “yeah, I’ll do your work for $30/hr, but if I mess your car up, too bad”. If that’s what you’re saying, you’re overpriced at $30/hr.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
And this is the part people need to pay attention to. Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like you’re saying “yeah, I’ll do your work for $30/hr, but if I mess your car up, too bad”. If that’s what you’re saying, you’re overpriced at $30/hr.
Just because the general population is unable to accept personal responsibility does not mean that I suffer the same...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Another question, how many are willing to work in the manner OP is looking for (from his other threads on the subject):

Hi i'm looking for an installer who can work on my 80 series Landcruiser at my home in the Seattle area. Would like to get work done in 2-3 hour chunks in between other phases of the build. Need an experienced professional with verifiable references and a install book I can review.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Anyone have thoughts on how the relative skills, risks, liabilities and hourly rate of a freelance car audio tech might contrast/compare with those of a skilled freelance handyman? Seems more similar to me than not, though range of skills and liability would seem considerably higher for the skilled full-service handyman.
I've heard $100/hr + argued as a suggested rate for skilled handyman.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I think you might be selling yourself short. Paying all my own taxes, SSI, insurance, overhead, etc., I'm thinking more like $50/hr +. Of course, it depends on the area of the country, but $30/hr just seems at the very low end. Just my $0.02. I could be wrong.
right
Another question, how many are willing to work in the manner OP is looking for (from his other threads on the subject):

no damn way, have it shipped to a shop. I’ll tell you what. My quality of work goes up exceptionally when I am in a heated or air conditioned garage or shop with all the proper tools in their correct locations. When I’m working on a driveway or someone else’s place I’m stressed because I don’t know where anything is, it’s hot/cold.. stress = bad work.

When you have a good workflow, all your tools are in their correct space and organized like at your place of work or shop then in my opinion it makes a huge difference.

sure some people are good at being traveling repairmen or installers but the best work is done when you’re in your home court on your terms in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
If you know you’re being underpaid why ask for the raise? Just leave.
I didn't watch the video, but thanks to a wise friend, I learned a valuable lesson 30+ years ago, when I was 20: Never expect to receive a raise without making an argument for it.

Although I have at times received merit raises without requesting them, I had to negotiate for the vast majority of the raises I received.

Like it or not, that is simply how it is...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I didn't watch the video, but thanks to a wise friend, I learned a valuable lesson 30+ years ago, when I was 20: Never expect to receive a raise without making an argument for it.

Although I have at times received merit raises without requesting them, I had to negotiate for the vast majority of the raises I received.

Like it or not, that is simply how it is...
I’ve never had to ask for a raise. All depends on where you work and what you do. If Shop A pays $15/hr and expects you to do X amount of cars per month and Shop B pays $20/hr, but requires you to do X+Y amount of cars per month, it’s really not a $5/hr raise for equal work.

·
Registered
2003 Jetta Wagon
793 Posts
I'll also add that when having estimates done for finishing my basement there was an 8k difference in two of the estimates using the same materials. the lower priced one actually has a much better portfolio. the ultimate trade off was the time frame. both roughly the same start to finish but a three month lead time on having the lower priced contractor do the work.

side note. the lower priced guy showed up in a fairly new half ton. the high priced guy showed up in a fairly new 4x4 sprinter with custom wheels, tires and a wrap job....

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Yeah, you're a fool for keeping this lifestyle. You should totally just own a trucking company instead, have a fleet of trucks earning money for you while you sleep, so you can retire at 40, riding dirtbikes all the time from 40-80/90 years old. And have a bunch of drivers who dreamt of driving trucks since they were kids earning money for you. When they really should have been owning trucking companies with lots of drivers who.... wait a minute, somehow this plan doesn't really add up? Shocking :p
exactly,i work for a corporation and I know they make a lot of money,im good with that, what they pay me is satisfactory with media just dont get people anymore, if I take my company big rig and do a backhaul for a customer and keep the money for myself, my employer should fire me

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
exactly,i work for a corporation and I know they make a lot of money,im good with that, what they pay me is satisfactory with media just dont get people anymore, if I take my company big rig and do a backhaul for a customer and keep the money for myself, my employer should fire me
Duh...you basically stole a truck. Did a run. Then bobtail it back in.
You should fired. Bother for the truck. And for bobtailing it back. Putting free miles on their truck.

201 - 220 of 232 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.