DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey diy folk(s),

just wondering if you guys have any tips for implementing a fan to do some cooling on an amp. the amp can get pretty darn hot and im guessing its probably due to it being so close up to the rear deck in my trunk and that the hot air is getting trapped. i have about maybe 2.5 to 3.5 inches from my amp to the rear deck, and im HOPING that moving the hot air out of there will provide the longevity i expect from it.

my concerns are that should i implement a fan, will i get a turn on pop or even induce some noise into my system?

what type of fan should i use? one of those computer fans, like a sunon fan that blows x-amount of cubic air out of the way? i also read about fusing the wire to the fan too just in case, (can never be too safe you know). id like to have it turn on when the system is on too so im guessing i'll have to rig it to my remote turn on wire, correct?

and lastly, how much power am i robbing with the fan (or two)? normally judges judge with the car off (and sometimes with the AC powered), should i need to be concered with losing some charge to the fan?

thanks...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Any 12Volt DC fan should work. I've used computers fans before. I didn't run into any turn on pops, but that would depend greatly on the equiptment you use.
To avoid inducing noise into your amp. I would recommend getting power to the fan at a connection point as far from the amp(s) as possible. As you've mentioned, a fuse is always a good safety feature.
To make sure you don't drain your battery when the car is off. I would recommend you tap it into the remote turn on wire, but use a RELAY switch. The current drawn will probably burn out the remote turn on if you don't use a relay.

David

·
Registered
605 Posts
Pics would be best, but at least describe your amp rack and how you have the amps mounted. The kind of fans you find in computers are quiet, but weak. How critical are you of the noise generated by the fans?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys. i dont think i have any pictures at this time to show you, sorry. but i just went out there again and i lied:( i actually have less than 2 (maybe 1) inches from the rear deck to the top of the heatsink, so its a tight squeeze.

the amprack is mounted underneath the rear deck, with the amp mouted rightside up (not upside down). its a Tru TO3 if that matters and the left of it, i have the passive xo's, so i really dont have too much space on either side of the amp.

when you say, tap into the remote wire as far away from the amp, does that mean running the a wire from all the way to the HU?? ugh...

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have two Stinger SF3N Crossflow fans. They are badass. I haven't used them in years though but when I did I NEVER had an amp shut off. They are quiet and put out a lot of air. I never had any noise issues but you probably want to run a relay to turn them on.

Here's a link to the fans :

http://www.cardomain.com/item/STISF3

Ryan

·
Registered
374 Posts
That's actually a half way descent price for them... back in 98 and 99 I paid around $50 each for them. At the time I could not find fans that fit where I wanted them to and still be out of sight. Yeah they are expensive but every amp I put them on never once shut down or went into protection mode so I thought it was worth it. Right now I don't really have any room for them or I would be using them. Maybe once I get my new amp and rearrange my amp rack I'll make room for them again.

Ryan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i actually bought those stinger fans lastnight :) but that partsexpress one should do the job..lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
Heh, I can get 35 CFM fans with my employee discount for about $1.50 a piece. $30 for 50 CFM is alright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts