DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering what you think are some of the best places to learn how to install car audio and accessories to build a career? I'm looking to stay in the Southeast region, and the only legit place I have found so far is installerinstitute.com. I wanna get certified training so I can be legit and make money. Suggestions?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if they dont provide an MECP, dont bother with it. most of the good installers learned through hard knocks and experience.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Get your tools out and start doing stuff, don't break the car, get it back together without trashing it, read up on the install stuff here, start simple. You start talking about it and you will have all kinds of people suggesting you put stuff in their cars lol. Start making sub boxes once you do a few you can get more complex.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I went to II over a decade ago. Really did not learn much more then I already did. But a noob might. But I can not comment on their current curriculum as I have no idea what they are doing today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think think the school route is a waste. Not really popular career choice to have any worthwhile place to study (might be wrong, but not atleast here where I live).

I would get a job from respected installer/shop and learn some tricks and get few aces up in your sleeves while earning money. Then start your own company after your confident about your skills.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Before investing your life savings in a shop, make sure you have a firm grasp on business management. In addition to your skill set, location (overhead cost), labor cost, marketing a good accountant will most likely determine your success or failure over the competition. Not the sexy side of the business but at least as important as instillation side of things.
Best of luck with your new career.
Gary

·
Banned
60 Posts
just take the MECP certification test, they provide them at several locations across each state.... but just because you can pass a test doesn't mean you have skillz, some of the best installers ive met have never taken a MECP or any audio test... i'd suggest gettin in with a local shop doing small work to get the time under your belt. The big audio shops near me wont hire you unless you have 5+ years and a good portfolio.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
True, if you asked me I would tell you find a career you can depend on possibly with some similarities...one that you could live off of. Then do install as a hobby/side job/etc. Maybe construction or electrician, something in sound, etc. Though some people rather their career were divergent from their hobbies.

(should have quoted: "I think think the school route is a waste. Not really popular career choice ....")

I agree you only need have a good grasp of 12v DC, able to take cars apart and install stuff, and fabricate boxes and other parts. None of it is really that difficult far as skill level. The hard part is making the final outcome significant, keeping quality up, and of course the business side of it if you have your own shop. You will need the drive to do a good job every day, but you do get instant gratification with every job you finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts