DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
What are you asking?

Evan
+100

It's spray foam, not sound deadener, what are you wanting to use it for?

240... Evan is my brothers name, brotha.. lol..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you asking?

Evan
+100

It's spray foam, not sound deadener, what are you wanting to use it for?

240... Evan is my brothers name, brotha.. lol..
Sorry if I was not clear... I figured since it stated it was closed cell spray foam, would it work in the same way as a sheet of closed cell foam attached to the door for dampening purposes?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hah! Yeah it is kind of uncommon and certainly was when I was younger!

As for foam behind the door panels, it would fill voids which I would consider a good thing. I have considered this approach before and am curious to see what everyone says.

Evan

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Maybe for filling gaps and holes in some areas, sure. BUt I woul dnot use it as a replacement for a good MLV/CCF sheet. Too tough to work with in that respect.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Sorry if I was not clear... I figured since it stated it was closed cell spray foam, would it work in the same way as a sheet of closed cell foam attached to the door for dampening purposes?
How do you plan on spreading it evenly?

Not worth the trouble.....not to mention spread out thin it's likely to not have any redeeming qualities other than making a HUGE MESS!!!;)

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Yeah, that stuff makes one helluva mess. It could fill voids, since that's whats it's for, but the density characteristics would probably not make for very effective dampening material, even if you could work with it.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
As has been said - for filling voids yeah. For anything else you have to realize it cures to a hard non-resilient state. To use between the interior door skin and the trim panel you want something that will compress slightly and continue to resist the compression applying pressure to both surfaces.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I have thought of using something similar - expanding packaging foam (i.e. instapak) - to fill in the back of door panels & such. It is softer and has more give to it than the "great stuff" type of foam. One of these days I may even get around to trying it...

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Just fill the doors with shipping peanuts and bubble wrap.

Bonus= Your pretty much invincible in a deadly car crash scenario

·
Registered
439 Posts
search "Great Stuff"

this is just a more environmentally friendly formulation.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I've "great stuffed" all over my car... The rockers, along the B-pilars, where I couldn't get deadener, over the rear wheel wells.. lower corners of the trunk... ect... but, it's more for stiffening the panels than actually deadening anything..

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
I've used it to seal up the baffle for my subs, and to fill a few cavities. If I ever decide to re-do the baffle I'm going to make sure my cuts are a little more precise, this expanding foam is messy! It's messy in a very sneaky way too. It doesn't look like you have any on your hands or anywhere else, then after a while this invisible layer starts to become a yellow mess. This stuff is more difficult to get off of skin than superglue! If you decide to use this stuff be careful, wear old clothes and gloves and cover everything that you don't want to get messy. It's not going to serve as a great deadener, but it can seal up holes and fill cavities that can cause reflections.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
I've used it to seal up the baffle for my subs, and to fill a few cavities. If I ever decide to re-do the baffle I'm going to make sure my cuts are a little more precise, this expanding foam is messy! It's messy in a very sneaky way too. It doesn't look like you have any on your hands or anywhere else, then after a while this invisible layer starts to become a yellow mess. This stuff is more difficult to get off of skin than superglue! If you decide to use this stuff be careful, wear old clothes and gloves and cover everything that you don't want to get messy. It's not going to serve as a great deadener, but it can seal up holes and fill cavities that can cause reflections.
Acetone or brake cleaner, should take it right off... brake cleaner...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts