DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought id post this up for others in the future. A big thanks to iMickey for his guidance along the way, after a rocky intro to the forum. It doesn't annoy me when people assume that you haven't searched because you couldn't find something, or that because you've never done something you'll be bad at it. Maybe it's just to mask their annoyance at having done it for years and not being that great at it.

Anyway. I won't go into loads of detail as the i fo is already out there. That and the fact I just winged it most of the time.

Most of this job was born of the fact that i had a couple a seam leaks. So stripped the interior and did some rust proofing with some Eastwoods Rubberised underseal. And then repainted the boot as its a little easier viewed.

Then onto the roof first. CLD and 11mm Tri Laminate.

Next I tackled the doors. CLD on onner and outer followed by foam backed MLV. 3mm foam 3mm MLV.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have started with this. The previous install.

Both door speakers had split rubbers, and someone had covered the backs in clear cavity sealant.

No photos, but the deck was a Gathers Japanese one. Very annoying.and the interior had things stuck allover. Antennas from Toll systems in Japan I believe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So door went back together after a little work, mainly chopping out small sections of MLV so it would fit. Then I added some acoustic foam to the insides.

I didnt take a photo of the replacement speakers, silly for a audio build log i know. I always have the best intentions, then forget to take the pictures! Anyway the doors where replacement with 6.5" Daytons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Next up was the floor pan. CLD down, cabling in, and MLV on top.

I did my best to get.coverage with the MLV, as far up the firewall as I could, removed the gear stick etc to get coverage under there as well.

I struggled.to get anything to stick to the MLV. It was my intent to make this all removable and not stuck the car. In the end I covered over the joins and glued strips of MLV over them with good old superglue.

I remover the lower B pillar brace so I could underneath and then attach the MLV under the rear seats to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next i hit the rear. Same process as before.

I had to leave gaps in the MLV for the rear speaker holes as the quarter panel plastics attach at those points. To help with the gap I replaced the rear.speakers with shaped MLV, them 10mm foam on either side of it.
Also added.foam.to all the the other plastic trim while I was at it.

Excuse the carpet, we are still decorating the new house!

MLV then went down in the rear. I ran out before i got the boot finished. More on order.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I was at it I cleaned the headliner. Then i realised I don't like it. So I had a think and decided to re-trim it in Alcantara to match the seats.

There was a couple of failed attempts along the way. I also had the bright idea yo learn to sew, and add in some classic Type R red stitching, by hand. That caused me a world of pain, but the seed had been planted, so I persevered. Not perfect, but its above my head so I don't see it.

I also had to colour the visors and plastics to match.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So back to the audio.

Space in this car is at a premium, so i didn't want anything excessive. Under the seats seemed like the best plan. Its a small car so I'm it won't matter too much.

So pioneer deck, DA230DAB id already put in when I got the car. I couldn't handle the Japanese sat nav tey to direct me back to Japan for long.

Then pioneer GM-D8704 amp went under one seat, and Pioneer TS-WX130EA sub under the other. They were mounted coated MDF sheet on the floor pan.

Then I made a bracket put of ABS plastic for the fuse holder and wired it all in. I did some initial setting up with my osuper duper brand new up to date scope, just play more than anything. Its not been calibrated for years so this won't be the final job.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next i started on the A pillars. I was a worried at this stage. The first part of the build I couldnt really go back on, actually chopping up bits of my baby.

You all know the process by now. Id read enough posts on here. Speaker rings made out of plastic, moulded to the panel, milkshake? Stuff inside, lots of sanding, cover. Job done.

Wasn't actually as bad.as I thought. Probably took me 8 hrs total. I couldnt angle the speakers any more due to the shape of the dash, and I couldnt move them higher because the pillar covers are quite narrow. However when I was.playi g with the angles, I could barely notice any difference anyway unless they were pointed directly at me, and that wasn't achievable without severely blocking the view.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Next i started on the A pillars. I was a worried at this stage. The first part of the build I couldnt really go back on, actually chopping up bits of my baby.

You all know the process by now. Id read enough posts on here. Speaker rings made out of plastic, moulded to the panel, milkshake? Stuff inside, lots of sanding, cover. Job done.

Wasn't actually as bad.as I thought. Probably took me 8 hrs total. I couldnt angle the speakers any more due to the shape of the dash, and I couldnt move them higher because the pillar covers are quite narrow. However when I was.playi g with the angles, I could barely notice any difference anyway unless they were pointed directly at me, and that wasn't achievable without severely blocking the view.

Nice, what I like most is the first pic here of the mids/highs plates you made and the garage floor is just disgusting and covered in plastic shrapnel. That’s how my garage looks every time I make ****. Goes from clean to disgusting in hours (minutes?) lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice, what I like most is the first pic here of the mids/highs plates you made and the garage floor is just disgusting and covered in plastic shrapnel. That’s how my garage looks every time I make ****. Goes from clean to disgusting in hours (minutes?) lol.
Haha yeah it was an intentional shot. It was a pretty epic mess. At least it doesnt spread as far as paint dust. Sprayed my engine over Xmas, still find random patches of red and white dust.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow I'm surprised this thread didn't get a little more action! Beautiful car and install, very jealous of the headliner and A-pillars, but even more so the awesome job with the doors and the deadening of the rest of the car. Guarantee it's very quiet and solid as a rock!

I'm actually in the early stages of an audio project on an RSX I just bought so came here searching for other RSX builds.

If you ever sell that car I want to be the first to know about it lol! It would look great sitting next to my Civic Type R 🤤

1 - 12 of 12 Posts