DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo

The VW GTI interior door panel ~6" opening has these "teeth" on it. I plan to use Sound Skins speaker rings (CCF) between the GB60 woofer and the door panel, but do I leave the interior door panel as is?

I removed the cheap VW foam that was glued to the opening "teeth".

Would it be better if the thin surround (with the teeth) was made wider with bondo/CLD? Or leave as is (simply stick the Sound Skins speaker rings to the surround teeth)?

tnx

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Unless you’ve added a really thick spacer, I can’t imagine the woofer coming into contact with the backside of the grill. I have 1” spacers, and still have clearance.
15F597C6-2C75-48AA-9696-A85AC83010E8.jpeg

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh yes, it won't contact (but am adding 1 1/4" spacer so the GB60 magnet doesn't hit the window bracing). just wondering if the Sound Skins CCF speaker rings should mount on a thin rail like this or if better to mount on a solid surface (basically make a mirrored-version of the spacer that's on the door side).

I'm guessing that I'm overthinking this one ;) (and just stick the CCF to the thin surround)

·
Registered
30 Posts
oh yes, it won't contact (but am adding 1 1/4" spacer so the GB60 magnet doesn't hit the window bracing). just wondering if the Sound Skins CCF speaker rings should mount on a thin rail like this or if better to mount on a solid surface (basically make a mirrored-version of the spacer that's on the door side).

I'm guessing that I'm overthinking this one ;) (and just stick the CCF to the thin surround)

View attachment 289010
I would use the more surface area around the speaker but it's also what ever you can get the best placement on if the foam is causing any vibration on anything then it's going to hurt sound. Go with your gut it will come out good.
Adding bondo sounds like a good idea but may make it worse.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would use the more surface area around the speaker but it's also what ever you can get the best placement on if the foam is causing any vibration on anything then it's going to hurt sound. Go with your gut it will come out good.
Adding bondo sounds like a good idea but may make it worse.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
so mount the CCF fast ring to the midbass baffle? i'll find a way to recess the speaker mounts flush into the baffle then

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...upon deeper inspection it looks as if the AF GB60 midbass woofer is a larger diameter (+.75") than the OEM woofer (and the corresponding door panel perforated opening, etc.). While the driver excursion isn't much (9mm = .35"), I think the driver cone may hit the inner "teeth" (as I continue to call it) of the door panel opening unless I shave those inside supports off. The space between the AF GB60 and the door panel would only be .35" (after spacing it the necessary 1 1/4" off of the door); same as the stock door speaker (see stock foam in pic for reference)

The fast ring will may now need a slightly larger circumference then the current stock one, so I would need to make a simple receiving baffle on the door panel (for the speaker baffle mounted CCF fast ring to bump into when the door panel is secured) if so.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts