DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Re: Why no shipping from US ebay, Canadian sources for diyma?

1) Go to usps.com & calculate postage for country of interest. Note that sometimes it is cheaper for the buyer if you use flat rate boxes. Be sure to compare both flate rate & non flat rate prices.

2) After country, package type & weight is slected click continue. This is the level of service screen. Please note that priority mail & parcel post is not availabe to every country. On this screen you will also see the base price of each service. There will be an online price & at the counter price. Select the prefered service. Look at the lower right of the page for "custom forms & extra services". Click on it to advance to the next page. Here you will be able to add insurance & other services. At this point you will have the actual price you quote to the buyer. Also on this page will be the link to the online custom forms. You will see this > PS Form 2976-A, Customs Declaration and Dispatch Note CP 72, inside a PS From 2976-E, Customs Declaration Envelope click on the "online form" link.

3) The next page is the custom form 2976-A page. USPS - Customs Forms 2976-A - Sender recipient Information
Here you will fill out the required areas "red asterisk".

Click continue to package information. Fill out the required areas "red asterisk". On the right side of the form you will see insurance amount & SDR value. Fill in the insured amount & SDR value. To calculate SDR value use this link>> 323 Priority Mail International Insurance It is important to fill in the SDR valve if you want to insure the package.

No need to worry about the other fields unless it applies to you.

Click continue to the add item page. Fill out the required areas "red asterisk". Then select country of origin, tip "always use your country". Unless the item is marked where it is made. If you are shipping more than one type of item, click the add more items option & fill in the information.

Click add & continue to summary. On this page you verify the entered information. Make corrections as needed by clicking on edit. If all is correct then click on Generate Form 2976-A The next page will say thank you along with an instruction tab. Below the instruction tab will be a PDF link! Click on the PDF link. This will open the form with all the information you entered prior. Print this form, there should be about 4 of them. Sign and date all copies, be sure to keep the one that says "senders copy" bottom right of form. At the top of the form there will be a bar code. Below the bar code you will see the tracking number. This tracking will work for almost every country. I know for fact it works for Australia, Canada, Europe, Russia & Japan.

4) Take package to post office with forms "your copy too, it needs to be stamped". The postal worker will put the forms in their special pouch. Be sure to lable your package just like you would for domestic mail.

Thats all to it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would like to add to the information. More on the practical side. Highly advise to ask the buyer to use USPS express mail international compared to priority international as the former will provide tracking code till it reaches the buyer. Also it will show online that the buyer has received the item. Priority mail will only update till it reaches the country customs. After that, there is no update. Dangerous as it gives the chance for buyer to claim non received item on seller

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would like to add to the information. More on the practical side. Highly advise to ask the buyer to use USPS express mail international compared to priority international as the former will provide tracking code till it reaches the buyer. Also it will show online that the buyer has received the item. Priority mail will only update till it reaches the country customs. After that, there is no update. Dangerous as it gives the chance for buyer to claim non received item on seller

Please read the instructions again! Below is two priorty mail international tracking summary to Australia & Italy.

Label/Receipt Number: xxxx 8x6x ###U S
Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels

Your item was delivered in AUSTRALIA at 2:25 pm on November 24

Detailed Results:

Delivered, November 24, 2011, 2:25 pm, AUSTRALIA
Arrival at Post Office, November 24, 2011, 6:27 am, AUSTRALIA
Processed Through Sort Facility, November 22, 2011, 9:18 am, AUSTRALIA
Processed Through Sort Facility, November 16, 2011, 1:25 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, November 16, 2011, 1:01 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Dispatched to Sort Facility, November 14, 2011, 7:52 pm, PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL 33410
Acceptance, November 14, 2011, 12:51 pm, PALM BEACH GARDENS, FL 33410
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 14, 2011

Label/Receipt Number: xxx 8x7x ###U S
Class: Priority Mail International Parcels
Service(s): International Parcels

Your item was delivered in ITALY at 11:04 am on December 05, 2011

Detailed Results:

Delivered, December 05, 2011, 11:04 am, ITALY
Customs Clearance, November 30, 2011, 6:41 pm, ITALY
Customs clearance processing complete, November 30, 2011, 4:27 pm, ITALY
Customs Clearance, November 28, 2011, 5:00 pm, ITALY
Processed Through Sort Facility, November 28, 2011, 4:59 pm, ITALY
Processed Through Sort Facility, November 23, 2011, 9:48 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Arrived at Sort Facility, November 23, 2011, 9:47 pm, ISC MIAMI FL (USPS)
Dispatched to Sort Facility, November 20, 2011, 7:34 pm, WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33416
Acceptance, November 20, 2011, 2:06 pm, WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33416
Electronic Shipping Info Received, November 19, 2011

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
USPS can also provide tracking and supplemental insurance, for parcel post and priority...for a minimal fee.;)

·
Old School Veteran
227 Posts
USPS can also provide tracking and supplemental insurance, for parcel post and priority...for a minimal fee.;)
They can but parcel post is useless & about to be phased out. Almost always it's only a tiny bit cheaper & it's ALWAYS much slower. You can also add ins & tracking to first class as well.

I'd like to add that if you use paypal click & ship that the customs forms are filled out when you print the label so no need to bother with extra forms. It'll print the seller's copy as well.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They can but parcel post is useless & about to be phased out. Almost always it's only a tiny bit cheaper & it's ALWAYS much slower. You can also add ins & tracking to first class as well.

I'd like to add that if you use paypal click & ship that the customs forms are filled out when you print the label so no need to bother with extra forms. It'll print the seller's copy as well

Thanks for adding that info! Sure does make things one step easier.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I am not sure whether they are different for every country. Many times i bought things from US ( here included), whenever i use priority mail, the tracking usually stops at ' Item has arrive at Malaysia Customs'. Even until i receive the parcel, it is still not updated. Just saying...

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am not sure whether they are different for every country. Many times i bought things from US ( here included), whenever i use priority mail, the tracking usually stops at ' Item has arrive at Malaysia Customs'. Even until i receive the parcel, it is still not updated. Just saying...
I think it depends on who you ship with.

If you ship with somebody such as TNT then they have a presence in many countries, so within these you get full information right up to the door.

If you ship with, for instance USPS, then they are only in America so you only get the tracking information up to when they pass the package over to the next company that they have outsourced to take and deliver the package to the next country. In this situation you can normally ring up and request the tracking number for the item for the courier which has taken the product, I wouldn't expect people to do this unless problems arise though, as it is a real PITA.

·
Old School Veteran
227 Posts
If you ship with somebody such as TNT then they have a presence in many countries, so within these you get full information right up to the door.
We don't have TNT over here but I have dealt with them. I used to test motors for rc airplanes for a company in China. He always shipped TNT & when it got to the U.S. it transferred to DHL. It seems like tracking did show all the way to my door.

USPS... not so much. When it leaves our borders it's up to the next company & the tracking usually stops. Personally I don't ever check tracking unless there seems to be an issue like it taking a long time. I've always got so many packages coming & going I don't bother lol.

·
Registered
308 Posts
My point is that IF a seller decides to ship USPS international, do so using express mail. Priority mail just open up a chance for the buyer to get the item free of charge without proper tracking and signature upon delivery.

·
Registered
128 Posts
APO Addresses USPS

Shipping to APO via USPS
I am in the Army and I have been stationed overseas for nearly 6 years straight. I have dealt with explaining the APO system every single time I have bought anything online. Here is a little guide...

The concept of getting mail overseas to and from military personnel stationed overseas dates back many years. In formalizing this activity, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the Department of Defense (DoD) negotiated an agreement called Overseas Military Mail, which exists to this day. In this agreement addressing schemes, delivery mechanisms and nomenclature were hammered out. Here is how Overseas Military Mail really works.

The USPS has formalized a standard addressing scheme for all domestic mail. Many will of course recognize this as:

Name
Street Number
City, State, ZIP
Name
P.O. Box
City, State ZIP
Name
Rural Delivery
City, State ZIP
In order to make Military Mail conform to this scheme, several things were created. These were:

Three Military "States":

AA, which stands for Armed Forces (the) Americas
AE, which stands for Armed Forces Europe
AP, which stands for Armed Forces Pacific
Three "City" equivalents:

APO, which stands for Army Post Office
FPO, which stands for Fleet Post Office
DPO, which stands for Diplomatic Post Office
Based on these constructs, a typical Overseas Military Mail address looks like this:

Name
Postal Service Center + Identifier
APO, AP ZIP
or
Name
FPO, AP ZIP
By having all Overseas Military Mail conform to the domestic mailing addressing scheme, the USPS could easily sort and manage it using their sophisticated sorting and distribution machines, just like regular mail.

But there is more to these constructs than addressing schemes. The Military State designators mean more than "phantom" states. They represent the USPS mail processing facilities that handle the mail traffic to and from each Military State. In an analogous form, they represent the neck part of an hourglass. Picture mail flowing into a "neck" location from all parts of the continental United States, then from this "neck" out to all the Military bases and U.S. Embassies in the region of the world represented by the specific Military State.

These "neck" locations, the USPS mail processing facilities themselves, are located in cities that are conducive to getting mail to and from the overseas region of the respective Military State. These Military State/City pairs are:

AA : Miami, FL
AE : New York, NY
AP : San Francisco, CA

Since these cities already had ZIP codes assigned to them, it was decided to have the ZIP codes of the respective Military State be numerically close to the ZIP code of the city where the mail processing facility is located. This allowed the USPS automated sorting equipment to funnel the Military Mail to the proper city where the respective mail processing facility is located.

Once the Military Mail arrives at the respective mail processing facility, it is further sorted by Postal Service Center, APO/FPO/DPO and ZIP code. After that, the USPS "hands it off" to their Military equivalent in a branch of the Armed Forces after transport via contract air carrier and delivery to the overseas APOs, FPOs, and APOs. For APOs and DPOs, either the Army or Air Force provides personnel. For FPOs, the Navy does the job.

At each APO, FPO, or DPO, there is an equivalent to "a-real-honest-to-goodness-Post Office" staffed by members of the respective branch of service. While the layout of each APO/FPO/DPO varies by location, suffice it to say they look and operate just like a "real" Post Office. In fact, they have to, since we are talking about U.S. Mail. Each APO/FPO/DPO address holder has a mail lock box in which their mail is slotted. Since parcels can't fit in these boxes, delivery or notification slips, just like "real" ones, are put in the boxes whenever a parcel arrives.

Outbound mail from APOs/FPOs/DPOs flows in the reverse of the process described above, with the mail passing through the "neck", the mail processing facility for the respective Military State, to enter into the normal USPS sorting and delivery system.

As can been seen, APOs, FPOs, and DPOs are just like the Post Office (P.O.) boxes one can rent at the local Post Office. The only real difference being is that they are located overseas on Military bases or in U.S. Embassies. So simply put, while valid domestic mailing addresses, APO/FPO/DPO addresses are not street or physical addresses; they never were and never will be.

o, with the establishment of the Overseas Military Mail program, three Military States (AA,AE,AP) and three city equivalents (APO, FPO, DPO) were created, along with a specific set of ZIP codes for each Military State. Once these constructs are understood, as well as the flow of packages to and through the mail processing facilities (located in Miami, New York, and San Francisco) which represent the Military States, it is easy to see how confusing all of this can be.

But now that Military Mail has been explained, it's no longer a mystery. Better yet, now that you understand it, you can get it working for you. Just sign up for a ShipitAPO address and together we can maximize the potential of your APO/FPO/DPO address.

USPS has an APO flat rate box
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10001&productId=10001233&WT.ac=P_MILI-FRB

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: APO Addresses USPS

Shipping to APO via USPS
I am in the Army and I have been stationed overseas for nearly 6 years straight. I have dealt with explaining the APO system every single time I have bought anything online. Here is a little guide...

The concept of getting mail overseas to and from military personnel stationed overseas dates back many years. In formalizing this activity, the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the Department of Defense (DoD) negotiated an agreement called Overseas Military Mail, which exists to this day. In this agreement addressing schemes, delivery mechanisms and nomenclature were hammered out. Here is how Overseas Military Mail really works.

The USPS has formalized a standard addressing scheme for all domestic mail. Many will of course recognize this as:

Name
Street Number
City, State, ZIP
Name
P.O. Box
City, State ZIP
Name
Rural Delivery
City, State ZIP
In order to make Military Mail conform to this scheme, several things were created. These were:

Three Military "States":

AA, which stands for Armed Forces (the) Americas
AE, which stands for Armed Forces Europe
AP, which stands for Armed Forces Pacific
Three "City" equivalents:

APO, which stands for Army Post Office
FPO, which stands for Fleet Post Office
DPO, which stands for Diplomatic Post Office
Based on these constructs, a typical Overseas Military Mail address looks like this:

Name
APO, AP ZIP
or
Name
FPO, AP ZIP
By having all Overseas Military Mail conform to the domestic mailing addressing scheme, the USPS could easily sort and manage it using their sophisticated sorting and distribution machines, just like regular mail.

But there is more to these constructs than addressing schemes. The Military State designators mean more than "phantom" states. They represent the USPS mail processing facilities that handle the mail traffic to and from each Military State. In an analogous form, they represent the neck part of an hourglass. Picture mail flowing into a "neck" location from all parts of the continental United States, then from this "neck" out to all the Military bases and U.S. Embassies in the region of the world represented by the specific Military State.

These "neck" locations, the USPS mail processing facilities themselves, are located in cities that are conducive to getting mail to and from the overseas region of the respective Military State. These Military State/City pairs are:

AA : Miami, FL
AE : New York, NY
AP : San Francisco, CA

Since these cities already had ZIP codes assigned to them, it was decided to have the ZIP codes of the respective Military State be numerically close to the ZIP code of the city where the mail processing facility is located. This allowed the USPS automated sorting equipment to funnel the Military Mail to the proper city where the respective mail processing facility is located.

Once the Military Mail arrives at the respective mail processing facility, it is further sorted by Postal Service Center, APO/FPO/DPO and ZIP code. After that, the USPS "hands it off" to their Military equivalent in a branch of the Armed Forces after transport via contract air carrier and delivery to the overseas APOs, FPOs, and APOs. For APOs and DPOs, either the Army or Air Force provides personnel. For FPOs, the Navy does the job.

At each APO, FPO, or DPO, there is an equivalent to "a-real-honest-to-goodness-Post Office" staffed by members of the respective branch of service. While the layout of each APO/FPO/DPO varies by location, suffice it to say they look and operate just like a "real" Post Office. In fact, they have to, since we are talking about U.S. Mail. Each APO/FPO/DPO address holder has a mail lock box in which their mail is slotted. Since parcels can't fit in these boxes, delivery or notification slips, just like "real" ones, are put in the boxes whenever a parcel arrives.

Outbound mail from APOs/FPOs/DPOs flows in the reverse of the process described above, with the mail passing through the "neck", the mail processing facility for the respective Military State, to enter into the normal USPS sorting and delivery system.

As can been seen, APOs, FPOs, and DPOs are just like the Post Office (P.O.) boxes one can rent at the local Post Office. The only real difference being is that they are located overseas on Military bases or in U.S. Embassies. So simply put, while valid domestic mailing addresses, APO/FPO/DPO addresses are not street or physical addresses; they never were and never will be.

o, with the establishment of the Overseas Military Mail program, three Military States (AA,AE,AP) and three city equivalents (APO, FPO, DPO) were created, along with a specific set of ZIP codes for each Military State. Once these constructs are understood, as well as the flow of packages to and through the mail processing facilities (located in Miami, New York, and San Francisco) which represent the Military States, it is easy to see how confusing all of this can be.

But now that Military Mail has been explained, it's no longer a mystery. Better yet, now that you understand it, you can get it working for you. Just sign up for a ShipitAPO address and together we can maximize the potential of your APO/FPO/DPO address.

USPS has an APO flat rate box
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&catalogId=10001&productId=10001233&WT.ac=P_MILI-FRB

Very good information! No USA memeber should have any excuse to not ship our troops. Their lives are on the line to make us enjoy our way of life.

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
Just to add to some of this excellent information ..

Regardless of carrier if you are trying to save the duties/taxes of the recipient ( some of them are just ridiculous ! ) you can mark off 'other' in the appropriate field. Within the body of description add .. Warranty repair/replacement. I have never had this fail. However this is primarily for general selling/buying. Shipping in large bulk or quantities over time with brand new products I am sure there are some legalities involved.

If you prefer a faster method try FedEx. Using the site is .. Expensive ! They do however have an 800 number ( Great rates) that is generally between 50-85% Off the online estimated price. You simply call in, give the description and ship That day.

Shipping is done as normal, but you get locked into whatever rate they quote you. You can of course not use it, but then you will need to call back when you are ready to ship again. These 'special' rates are used to fill planes and have a daily window.

TNT is fairly good, but once they reach this country they hand off to USPS anyway. Your package can arrive in the U.S. today, but you may not see it for a week or more. I am sure other countries suffer similar situations.

UPS can be good and somewhat aggressive price wise, but I have not followed through shipping with them. Receiving, yes many times and with no major problems. Then again my manufacturers from Europe and such have pretty aggressive rates in place already.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
what is the tariff code for importing an amp to Canada?

This was the start of another thread, what is the tariff code for importing an amp to Canada?, but so people can find this info easy it has been moved to this thread.

I always use USPS but this time guy wanted UPS. well now I am trying to get these forms done so I can send this out.

anyone know what the code is for the tariff?

thx

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Re: what is the tariff code for importing an amp to Canada?

I think they do that at the PO. I've shipped stuff to the states and had lots shipped to me, never had to know a tariff code.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

I am sure they do..and I have done that at the post office too.

this is UPS and I am trying to get the papers filled out online so I can print them and go drop off this box.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Sorry I cannot be of help here, but anyone in Canada that prefers UPS over USPS is in for a nasty surprise when they get the hefty brokerage bill that the crooks at UPS charge. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

hmm. cause the guy told me he had usually done it that way with UPS when I told him I was sending it USPS.

I have never sent an amp UPS to Canada.

if I take the package to UPS are they going to charge me the fee or is it going to get him?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

I don't think you will get nailed, but he will. Case in point, last week I had a Dodge Ram Double Din dash bezel sent out to me from a seller in the U.S., as the first one he sent (Ebay auction) was the wrong colour. He shipped the correct colour one to me, but he sent it via UPS this time. The first one was sent via USPS, no fees charged. ($100 item). The second one he sent, $56 in fees. I cannot stand UPS......

1 - 20 of 54 Posts