DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about inverting a sub to lower box height and not deal with sub displacement. Does it matter how tall the enclosure is as long as the sub sees the correct amount of cubic space? My example would be lets say I have a sub that needs 2 cubic feet. If I built a box that was 2" tall but 40" wide x 40" long and the box came to 2 cubic feet, does the sub care if it's inverted? If sub excursion is taken into account and not an issue, is there a minimum amount of height that a sub needs even though it is inverted.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Nope, cubes is cubes. The correct amount of air will cause the acoustic spring to act the way it was designed to. Unless you make it from a bunch of small chambers linked together, then you may get colored results.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
You can get a restriction, but odds are 2" would still flow enough air. This is talked about a lot with down fire subs and you need more clearance with a high xmax sub that flows more air. They are around 1/3 to 1/4 of diameter, but they have a formula for it. Note that if the air can not flow out all the way around the sub you can get more restriction, such as if you mount the sub right at the end or corner of the box instead of the center.

The other problem you can run into is your box will be weak with those large panels (the 40x40 sides), likely will have to brace them together where a square-ish 2cf you would not.

The sub does not care about being inverted and you add the sub mass to your box volume if you accounted for that, in fact add a little more if the sub has a deep cone and count that air in the sub if you get that detailed. So the box will be that much smaller to be equal tuning to a normal box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts