DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate are they?
Specifically the JL Audio app's SPL meter and RTA
And the various tone generators for setting gains.
Are they close enough to get you in the ballpark or a waste of time ?

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are correction filters built in to account for the adjusted frequency response as heard from the iPhone mic. Should be enough to get in the ballpark

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I remember running into a thread re. this topic and if i remember correctly the iphone3g works better then the iphone4. If ya search for it you'll find it. ;)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are only as accurate as the iPhone's mic and speaker
Hence the reason for the questions...I imagine the mic's on high dollar equipment are substantially better.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remember running into a thread re. this topic and if i remember correctly the iphone3g works better then the iphone4. If ya search for it you'll find it. ;)
Unfortunately iPhone, tuning and app are such common terms here the search pulled up everything BUT what I was looking for.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
iAudioInterface2 | Studio Six Digital

Expensive, but from the looks of it you get a high quality digital ipod dock with balanced outputs and toslink digital output. Also has a regulated DC input that will work straight off the cars electrical without the need for an external high quality PS (fuse needed of course). That right there is a $200+ value.

·
Registered
866 Posts
The JL app is make by studi six
I have both of them and upgraded
They will get u ballpark but if y have a shop that will let u rent time on theirs rta I would do that to fine tune

·
2,103 Posts
The spl meter is only good to like 90db, so yeah; however, the RTA is not bad for quick tune. I use it on initial fire and before break in on installs that have an external EQ or processor. For what it is, and what you pay, it works great. With a 3 dollar external mic, it only gets better. I plan on picking up the new audiotools interface for my iPad2.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell I can raise my voice and shoot the SPL meter over 100.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts