DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2006 Accord 4 dr Alpine 149BT PG X100.4 X1200.1 (2) JLw6v2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to utilize lossless/hi-res in the car. I know I can plug my phone into the deck USB as "iPod" but the 149bt doesn't support FLAC.
The Amazon app says 24 bit 96khz but I have a hard time believing that. What format is it in? Is iPhone encoding AAC 320kbps in real time or something similar? Is it really getting high res? Not sure if someone at Alpine or Apple would know.
Otherwise, I am considering some sort of USB to coax adapter or an Airport Express for Airplay lossless at least to optical (to my HELIX)
I do NOT want to get a new Touch screen head unit.. I'd get the Sony Gs9 if I had the budget

· Registered
241 Posts
I would stick with 320kbps MP3 or AAC. Here is a good link to help you feel more comfortable using lossy files in the car:
This the answer...I obsessed over this for years until I discovered I couldn't tell the difference between them.

· Registered
2006 Accord 4 dr Alpine 149BT PG X100.4 X1200.1 (2) JLw6v2
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This the answer...I obsessed over this for years until I discovered I couldn't tell the difference between them.
I'll admit, I can't tell MOST of the time. It depends on the song. Another guy thought I was crazy for using Spotify most the time, but it really beats out the others in convenience and ease of use. So I'm not THAT hardcore. But at the same time, if I'm really getting into this as a hobby, there shouldn't be a point where I'm like "oh, yeah that's good enough"

It's kind of just peace of mind that I'm using the highest quality source, sort of eliminating that variable from the system. I just got a DSP.3s, so I will most likely go straight to My DSP with a USB to SPDIF. The DSP will have a better DAC as well.

Either way, I am still curious whether iPhone outputs a PCM signal, or is it down converting in real time to AAC or MP3 or something else entirely

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.