DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried this on another forum and no bites. Hoping some people here will have info.
Currently I am using mp3gain set at the default 89db. The problem I have is on some songs it kills the bass as compared to the cd( if gain were properly set to cd db level). I run an ipod, iphone or ipad. All are synced with the same gain leveling. And my amplifier gains are adjusted correctly to the reduced input signal. All I use are the mp3 players, I don't even have CDs in the vehicles.

So what I am looking for is a little insight on what other leveling software you are using? And if you are using mp3 Gain then what db setting are you having the best results with. It is a huge pain in the butt to convert back to mp3, level all the songs, then convert to aac and finally sync to devices to play around with the db setting and after all that it has lowered the bass volumes on several songs. Inevitably I loose a song or two every time. Then I have to rip again off of CD, just getting frustrating and repeat all the steps again.
I listen to rock and metal so in a lot of cases comparatively there isn't much bass as with many other forms of music to begin with. It gets old playing with the remote gain to try to blend the sub. Things were so much simpler 20 years ago.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Are they all ripped/downloaded at the same quality? Different CDs are recorded and play at different levels as well. Usually the turn of the volume dial levels everything out unless you have bass boost, loudness, or custom EQ curves that alter the sound in an artificial way

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This is the BS we have to deal with when we can hear such differences in recordings.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you very much so far guys. Please others continue if you have any input.
As far as setup goes IMHO everything is okay, at least to my taste. The songs are ripped directly to a converter program from cd. I'm not at home so no idea what it is. But it is a very good audio and video converter. They are ripped at the highest mp3 rate. Then through mp3 gain. Then back to the converter for aac at the highest rate. From what I understand the highest rate is not necessary but I have plenty of storage left over so no big deal.
It's really not a component or setup problem. Or even a lack of substage. I have a denon z1 with a good dac converter that bypasses the apple dac. The vehicle is completely sound deadened on the inside along with poly in every space that can hold it. The doors are sealed. Running legatias off of a milbert tube amp. Substage is overkill but I like to listen to it loud every now and then. It's a SSA xcon 18 in a sealed enclosure. The amp is usually an OS Orion hcca 2100. I am currently trying out a sundown saz1500d to see what all of the class d mono amp fuss is about. Subsonic filter is set to just below audible since I don't see a point in playing hz that can't be heard. Low pass is set to 80 hz. No bass boost or other enhancements. I do run an RCA gain control to blend the sub in for SQ or out for SQL. I have no problem at all with actual bass output. There is a ton of headroom. It just has me perturbed that if I were running CDs there would be a small shift in output from disc to disc but not some songs getting cut by half or more just in the lower hz frequency range.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I wouldnt even go through MP3 gain.

If you are ripping from a CD then everything is there. AAC is a lossless codec like FLAC. Once you go through MP3 gain you are taking out parts that should be there to normalize every song. If your going straight from CD like you state then there is no need for MP3 Gain.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
An example I can use is one artist everyone knows and another that is not very mainstream. The Agonist is a female fronted metal band. They use a double pedal kick drum. Pretty well every instrument and the vocals are high output but matched well. In other words the mid range and low range are close enough that mp3 gain reduces them near equal enough that the bass is not cut very much. At full volume the DBs are enough to produce difficulty in breathing due to the pressure on the abdomen.

The other band is The Eagle. Everyone here has heard Hotel California. The bass is significantly higher than the rest of the frequency range. A fellow with a Dayton 10" and 300 watts in a small sealed box will get a hefty kick in the back with each bass note. My 18 with 1600 watts probably has about as much output as a single 10 on that particular song. Since the frequency range is so mismatched it cuts the low frequencies tremendously.
Again thanks for the advise and recommendations.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The problem I had with CDs initially was that some albums are recorded very low. Current material seems to run in the neighborhood of 100 DB. Older remastered vinyl and cassete tape albums now on CD may run as low as 40 DB. When songs are shuffled it seems that you are adjusting the volume to often. If I listened only to music produced in the last 20 years it probably wouldn't be that big of an issue.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I haven't read the thread too closely so I'll just throw this out there.

Replygain, ivolume, Apple soundcheck, etc don't alter the track in any way. They simply add a header (ie like tag info.) that tells the media player built in replygain to adjust its internal digital output level (ie a hidden volume control if you will), so that each song sounds like its the same volume as the next. No different then you playing with the volume control at the beginning of each track. This is why you see media players and devices say they support mp3gain, because it's an internal software feature that reads the that software to read the songs normalization tag.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I tried out the ivolume program. It worked very well. I went ahead and just made a backup of the media library and re-ripped everything to 330 aac then bought the full version of ivolume. There had to be a whole lot of loss with going to mp3 then aac. Now I have no complaints. I made an hour trip with my gain blended in for sq and never had to fiddle with it.
I appreciate the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts