DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
That's what I thought. Fortunately I only have to worry about the passenger seat in an upgraded system.

I was told that because my 2 seater coupe has a small cabin, to not worry about DSP or tuning. Just concern myself with stereo. And be content with passive crossovers. I'm not educated enough to know who's right. I've read that tuning is very important in most systems...

If I was installing, I could do sky's the limit. But since I'm not I have to keep a modest cap on costs. Or at least spend wisely in each area as I do want sweet, accurate sound.

Anyone have a preference of 6.5/3/1" components- Audison or Hertz(or another company recommendation)? The shop I may deal with has Kenwood and Hybrid Audio Technologies too. But H.A.T.'s component speakers sizes seem a bit big for my car.

Amps are another story.......

Thanks.
@SLicK55 AMG I would suggest starting your own new thread in the forum section linked below. Even if it just a copy and past of what you posted here. You're likely to get better responses without derailing the discussion here.

System Design: Help Me Choose Equipment For My Car

·
Premium Member
8,895 Posts
I think most are overlooking the fact that well done OEM systems concentrate more on multiple seat while most here are basically speaking on one seat optimized systems. Many have yearned for Andy to come out with his DSP that accomplishes the same thing because they have yet to been able to attain the same level with any other kit. On the other hand, it wasn't that many years ago where complex outboard DSP units capable of what we have today were out of reach for many. Up to now, how many are able to do what Bose and other manufacturers have done for years? The H800 never gained high popularity, Helix is just now entering the center realm, the MS-8 is long gone...

So this topic is one of apples vs oranges.... sure you can outdo an OEM setup for one seat tunes very easily because they simply aren't interested in such, so there's no comparison there.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!
Denis nailed it. It seems this same topic comes up every so often. And you have all these people coming out of the woodwork claiming that their "basic system" kicks the ass of what some of the most talented engineers on the planet put together as an OE package. Keep in mind that many of the people making these claims have never and will never compete with their system to have some sort of metric by which to judge their claim. And in many cases, no one else on the forum, or facebook group, or wherever has ever heard their system to confirm their claim.

And comparing a OE system, even the highest cost options, to an aftermarket system trully is apples and oranges as Denis stated. They typically have two completely different sets of goals and constraints. For most of the general public the engineers hit their target and satisfy their customer (automotive brands) and their customer's customer (auto buyer). Most aftermarket installs, even the really good ones, probably wouldn't satisfy either of them. Give most aftermarket guys the same constraints as what OEs have to deal with and they would throw in the towel before they even got started.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I disagree completely.

While audio has improved in cars, it still does not offer what I am looking for. Even the upgraded sound systems I have heard.

What I do really dislike is the fact that it is now becoming more and more difficult to customize your sound / entertainment system as the new cars are coming out with better options built in - but lot of other functionality is now on the integrated systems.

So changing a headunit is not as simple as it use to be, I am now looking at keeping the stock one and adding a 2nd headunit which will be used for music.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Simple answer to that is get the base version. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Manufacturers can't afford to offer packages that suit very few to one person and still make money. The majority of people rarely upgrade stereos in cars these days. I still see vehicles from the early 2000's with well over 100k miles on the dash that are all stock from basic setups to full blown Nav Mark Levinson. Surely they've had enough time to replace or upgrade, but obviously decided not to because it was simply good enough.

Don't want those problems, don't buy the cars with such... get base models and install what you want with the caveat you can't use everything the premium models have.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Those fancy OE systems somehow have resale value even after their caps and cones have dried after 10 or 20 years and just doesn't sound right any more. New/recent fancy OE improved over the fancy OE from 10 or 20 years ago. As for our aftermarket gear... we want to think it has some resale value but not much really... we all have to be prepared to write it off as a hobby expense even before buying the first item, or just move it to the next vehicle/project. But while we have it now, we can certainly cherish and enjoy it since it's good.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My Audi was purchased with the B&O system. Did it sound great? Yep, it sounded very good for 95% of the people who would ever buy the car. However, after, tearing it all out, and installing aftermarket amps/speakers/dsp, it is a significant improvement. Not even same league. Now, most people don't need to have the upgraded level of sound and would be perfectly happy with the B&O stock. But just as OEM is getting better, the capabilities of Aftermarket have continued to improve as well. ***Also, I didn't intentionally pay extra for the B&O, it was included with the upgraded tech package on the car which included the Virtual Cockpit that I did want.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think many base systems can be improved upon greatly. I bought a chevy volt 2016 with base sound system. Didn't sound very great to me. Got worse as I turned the volume up.

I decided to put in a LC7i, 4 channel alpine amp, some silver flute mids, peerless tweeters, and an alpine dsp and it sounds great. even better when I toss the sub in there.

Night and day difference in quality. For a budget system I am very impressed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I feel like I always scour the bottom of the bargain basement pile for decent sounding aftermarket gear, but I still have no regrets about choosing what I do over a factory OEM amplified system or newer multimedia systems. I feel like the blame for all the newer tech and difficulty in proper sounding aftermarket systems rests SQUARELY on the shoulders of HOMOCO and TOMOCO motor company, SPECIFICALLY, the ACURA and LEXUS brands, who had a multimedia/navigation systems standard as early as the mid 90's in the second generation TL and LS and that generation RL couldn't even commandeer an aftermarket supplier to make an aftermarket dash- kit with a NON-NAVIGATION system!
My honest advice to all audiophiles is just to get an older car, restore it, and outfit with gear thtlat suits YOUR taste. NOT what these corporate pencil pushers at the car brands THINK you should be listening to....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts