DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please indulge me fellas.... was just curious if there was anybody running rather inexpensive subs in their rides with desirable results? you know the ones im talking about, $50 or less a piece. could be any brand, or size. personally, for me, im looking at 10's.

or, has anybody tried this route, failed miserably and gone back to reputable brands with much higher price tags and been justifiably satisfied?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not a true SQ guy but I know what I like so take this for what it's worth lol. I picked a pair of Polk DXI10s from Best Buy for $33 each on clearance. I am using a single one right now with 300rms going to it and I am very pleased. I have seen them online for below $50 easily.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Parts express had bazooka 10"s on clearance for 20 bucks a pop. Combine that with a Goldwood box, and you get dual 10s ready to go, delivered for around 100 bucks. Haven't heard em though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I remember replacing some $200+ brand name subs with $40 - $50 American made Geffco home closeout drivers and heard absolutely no difference in sound quality.

Now using a Voodoo 15" sub I got off ebay a few years ago for $75, that's pretty cheap for a 15.

It's hard to find something I trust, but if I were buying a sub tomorrow, the first thing I would look at is Orion or Powerbass. But I'm sure there are many other good bang for the buck subs out there.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I got a pair of ID CTX108's for $125, they're currently running IB in my rear deck and besides the rattles, they sound excellent, deep bass.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
My 15s were only $150 each and are my favorite sub so far or at least tied with the JL W6/7 series. I think one of the keys to successfully running a cheap sub is lots of cone area to keep excursion down.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I picked up an Ascendant Audio Assassin 10 during their release promo about 5 years ago. For $70 shipped, it sounds good to me in my pickup with 350ish watts in a .7 ft^ sealed box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Might get blasted for this one but I had a set of alpine type E 10" and those things really surprised me, had them in a ported box, sounded great and were loud, pushing with a alpine mrp500 amp, very cheap combo with great results
Was going to show links but not enough post haha

Subs 60ish
amp less than 200

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I've used alpine type e's, they're ok. there are plenty of subs in a sub $50 category that would suffice, assuming you find the same deal that someone else get on clearance at the shady lane electronics store back in '93 when they were closing shop for good on their last day in business on dec 31st. so many variables. What I would recommend is researching subs at different places; madisound, parts-express, google-ing it, sonic, etc. find some you like and ask questions about them. like has anyone used them. or if they sound good. does the real life performance match the paper documentation? things like that, which will in turn help someone learn something and prevent you from chasing speakers that you can't get now.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I think the key here is why are they inexpensive. I typically try to stick with either a non marketed, non name brand or a name brand that is a few years out of production. I wouldn't buy the latest and greatest lower priced brand cheap, just because it was cheap. Dayton (Parts Express) is a great example of a well made driver that comes in several levels of different options that is affordably priced. They are not cheaper because they are poorly made, they are cheaper because they do not spend money on marketing and looks and they buy in larger quantity and keep the same line for many years. A company like JL spends alot of money on marketing and asthetics and changes the look of their products frequently, you as the consumer pay for that. The other option is to buy from an online retailer who sells products that have been out of production for a few years but is still new. If your true goal is SQ and not to have the newest and latest stuff it is easy to find good prices on quality equipment. I am currently running a pair of 90s era Pro Tech subs (PJ's Auto Sound house brand) that I bought off of eBay for $100 and they look and play like they are new. I put them in place of my Image Dynamics IDQ-15s and like the way they sound better. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The low frequency stuff is the easiest to get right. A well designed and placed enclosure with an inferior driver will always sound much better than a superior driver without an optimal enclosure or placement. You are much better of spending your money on the tweets, mids, and install (the most important part, IMHO).

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I believe someone in the past had mentioned obtaining good results running Infinity Reference subwoofers in IB setup. I could take that route because I trust Harman Kardon's experience in car audio.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
I got a deal on infinity 12s, the 1252 and 1262w iirc, which were the same aside from color. They have the motor inside the basket. I ran one in a box it did not dig low in a 1.25. Later I put quads in IB into the seat. It came out later because it was so heavy, but it did work well I could shake the roof no problem. They were strong at 50Hz had to low pass 24dB and cut 50 on the EQ, but they pumped out lots of 30Hz then and sounded pretty flat. That was all with only 420rms from a kicker 700.5. Put a PEQ on them and that really worked nice could make them sound any way I wanted. Without EQ they certainly sounded spl to me.

I looked a long time for a lighter setup with more amp room, that would still get low. Liked the first AE IB15s at what 125 each? Then found these pyle 15s for <$50 each with the same specs. I'm thinking hey pair of 15s is overkill for me anyway should be low xmax, so I gambled and bought. They work great and will get loud and rattle the roof. Not quite as much as the 12s but still more than I need. Really the idea was to get low, not to get loud.

In the past I ran quad 10 pyramids, cheap ones, and they were amazing given the low power on them. I had to replace them every 2yr they fell apart lol, even they don't use that cheap foam anymore for surrounds. For $15 each I didn't care. These 15s barely move at SQ volumes, I have to start shaking things to get some xmax out of them. And really I don't care so much about SQ at high volumes I'm just screwing off up there anyway. They will tighten up some when I lay most of 500rms into them, or it might be clipping hard to tell. Can hardly hear the highs if I do that its kind of a joke.

But note these are IB spec subs, I think they would need a large box to work enclosed. I really want to get another one and do a single into the deck of another car, with a manifold of sorts, but no time to do it yet. Why hassle with a 15, because they have a great tune I don't use much EQ on them.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
A friend of mine bought two 10" subs from parts-express blowout, Something like $12 each. Was blown away by their output and SQ in a bandpass box. Loud and low and sounded very good. Off brand, don't recall what.

So yes, you can get great results for cheap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did a sls 8 in 1.5 cubes ported per peerless guidlines(see madisound) on 200 watts in my wifes car and its output blew me away. definitly have to ensure the power is clean to itough.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm running a Polk SR10 that I got new for real cheap bridged off the rear channels on a PPI 5440 and love it.

I've heard a few sony xpod's in my day priced about the same as what I paid and they sounded horrid, with much more power.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Sony lol, maybe 4yr ago I scored a sony 300rms P5 12" (that hexagon shape one) and a new sealed for like <25 total on epay. It was 1cf or maybe little more and was spec for the sub. It had a tiny crack in the cone I stuck some glue on, only wanted it for testing amps anyway. So I tried it in my car once on a old school soundstream 300rms, it sounded ok but didn't dig deep that well. Then I turned it up loud and wow it went all spl on me. The louder it went the more one note it got. Even stuffed the box and not much help, but hey it was very loud just sounded like crap to me.

I had a bazooka dual 10 ported box for a while, it came complete from them in some cheap package but the amp was junky. It worked nice for what it was, on a better amp. It would perform better than a dual 12 box I also tried. In the end even a 1cf single box was more than I wanted in my trunk. 1cf destroyed about 25% of my trunk room and dual 15s IB I have about 95% of my trunk open, and have just plain stupid bottom end in comparison.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts