DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HD radio sound is leaps and bounds better than cd and standard fm. So what cd file will sound the same as hd radio, will wav file? I dont think wav is considered hires at 16bit

·
Registered
175 Posts
I believe HD Radio is up to 300 kbps of AAC/MP4 compressed audio per FM station. It is very good, but lossy, and designed to be broadcast over the air, so it just doesn't have the bandwidth to be lossless. Should be similar to standard CD quality once your rolling down the road, but has some additional capabilities like surround sound (by dividing the bandwidth into 5.1 or whatever rather CD's 2.0 channels).

FLAC is a compression and audio channel management suite that is capable of up to 8 channels of fully lossless high-res audio. Maxed out, that would exceed 300 kbps by an order of magnitude I'm guessing. Even 2.0 is about 10 MB/min of song (which is equal to 1300 kbps if I did my math right).

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
I'm curious of your seeming obsession with audio formats. Your first post in this thread, for example, is contrary to what you should percieve. HD radio is inferior to the lossless version, like FLAC. There is no reason that HD Radio should sound better, unless the source you are playing it from is different than the source you're playing the FLAC file from. FLAC is objectively superior, and your perception that HD radio is better is a strong indication that some bias is playing a role in your decision making. I see you making posts about FLAC versus DSD, but if you think HD radio is superior to FLAC, then I wouldn't trust your ability to distiguiss a hi-res file like DSD from FLAC. And, based on your observations, DSD will sound even worse than FLAC bcause you seem to rank objectively infereior (HD radio) as better than objectively superior (FLAC) formats.

What this all should tell you is that the differences in good quality music files are so difficult to tell apart that your perceptual bias is changing the way a song sounds more than the file itself. Did you ever do the test I posted from NPR?

This hobby is full of snake oil, bias, and over confidence in one's abiltiy to perceive incredibly subtle detail. Obsessing over lossless vs. hi-res in a car is a fools errang. If you can even here the difference in the first place, which is questionable, you won't hear the difference in a car. And if you claim to hear a difference, then either there is something going on with the playback of each format (not the format itself) or the only difference you hear is psychological. Don't under estimate the power bias has on your perceptions.

CD is superior to HD Radio, and far superior to FM Radio.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually the question was what file is hd radio quality. Which is leaps and bounds far better sounding than fm radio. CD quality doesnt sound as good hd radio it doesnt have the bandwidth

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
You don't know what you're talking about. FLAC is simply a lossless format like WAV, WMA, and Apple lossless. All of those formats are lossless, and will be an exact representation of the original source, the CD, they will all sound the same, because they are the same. In most cases, the 320kbps mp3 is indistinguishable from the original, lossless version (the CD).
"Lossless" flac is hi res . Wav isnt ,mp3 isn't there all at 320kbps
Flac is 1100 to 1400 kbps

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 1000$ set of diamond hex mids and tweets a dsp and I'm trying to get flac up and running which my flagship dsp kenwood x996 didnt support flac in 2012 . So l have to buy a x702

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You don't know what you're talking about. FLAC is simply a lossless format like WAV, WMA, and Apple lossless. All of those formats are lossless, and will be an exact representation of the original source, the CD, they will all sound the same, because they are the same. In most cases, the 320kbps mp3 is indistinguishable from the original, lossless version (the CD).
Flac still losses when its compressed

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Oh dear God. Yes, FM is inferior to HD radio, I've already said that. But, HD Radio is inferior to lossless. Lossless is the standard of each file, it is without loss, bit for bit perfect to the original. HD Radio is not lossless, it is inferior. FLAC, WMA, WAV, and Apple lossless are all examples of lossless formats, these formats are all bit for bit as good as the CD.

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
A 320kbps mp3 seems super inferior, if you're just reading the number, but it is perceptually indistinguishable with most recordings. On paper, it's objectively inferior, but we can't hear the difference particularly well, if at all.

Take that test and let me know if you can consistently rank the files correctly. Use the best headphones you have, in the quietest room of the house and you still won't be able to tell the difference between the 320kbps file and the lossless consistently with each song.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1st dude get yourself a kenwood kdc x702 . It has dsp and plays wav and flac files . Then get some decant top of the line 5 years ago boston acoustics in a 5.4" and separate tweeter and get the amp that goes 2 them

·
Premium Member
8,858 Posts
What in the actual...?

I think I'm actually kind of glad there aren't that many people around here anymore to see this garbage.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just want to chime in for a second.... none of the formats, Flac. Wav. MP3. DSD. or whatever are going to be "better sounding" than the other if the source is crap. If your source file is a 128kbps mp3 and it has been converted to Flac., it is still going to sound like crap. Most likely it will have more noise. If you want the music to be "Hi Def" or "Hires" start with the source and make sure the original source was or is of a higher quality than CD or DVD. Now you can pick what file type you want to use... Flac. Wav. DSD... and so on. Most of what I listen to is 24/96 Flac or Wav files.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have recently purchased a Ford Fusion with OEM Sony/Ford Sync 3 HD radio tuner in it (Chicagoland area). I agree, the HD radio broadcasts do sound pretty awesome in comparison to regular non-HD radio broadcasts.

Have any of you noticed a roll-off in the low frequency response on your HD radio channels (below 100Hz)? I swear (very subjective) I have listened to songs on HD radio & then immediately listened to the same song on Spotify and the low frequency response is much higher on Spotify (with HQ streaming feature always enabled, vol. normalization off, no eq's applied in Spotify app). Bass doesn't sound as loud/present on the HD radio broadcast. Any thoughts or experiences on that?

It's a little hard to tell original post/question exactly. I think OP was saying he was generally impressed with the audio quality of HD radio & he is asking how good is it exactly (is it as good as FLAC? WAV?). It looks like "JMikeK" & "gijoe" had pretty good concise answers there. HD radio broadcast audio quality is in the compressed 300kbps neighborhood of audio quality. That is below CD quality & below FLAC/WAV quality.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts