DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Is it even possible?

1K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  OnYrMrk 
#1 ·
I got to thinking after selling all my new stuff. Is it possible for me to get a significant level of SPL from a pair of drivers mounted in a door? Now, don't get me wrong here I am not looking for a deafening set of speakers that can play in a door, that is just silly. I have a single 12 right now in a 1 cubic foot box in the cargo area of my truck. I dont like the amount of space it takes up. So, I wondered, can I put a set in the back doors and still "feel" my bass notes.

i was thinking something along the lines of some older model mw180s, or another larger midbass driver. I understand that it cannot play as low as my sub, and I am not going to get the SAME feeling, but surely, I can get something. I came to realize that NOBODY wants my celestra amps. So I am thinking of putting the setup I have for the sub stage in my little brothers truck, and use the other two amps to power my dyns, it's going to be rather tough, as they really make their power at a 2ohm load, and I doubt I am going to find something that will play in a door that has that impedance. but, lets give it a shot.:)

#4 ·
As long as you can get a decent amount of depth and airspace in your door and you can properly seal that space, getting decent bass out of a door speaker is very possible. There are more than a handful of guys who have done it with 8, 9 or 10 inch drivers. The Peerless SLS drivers are great for that but if you don't have that kind of depth, Dynaudio and Morel are also popular choices. You could also look into the Earthquake SWS-8. You seem to be in a similar situation as me but instead of in the door I'm looking at an application under the front seats. The limitations are very similar. Not a lot of airspace and limited depth. I haven't chosen a driver yet but the SWS and Morel drivers are pretty much what I've narrowed it down to at this point. You can also look at the Pioneer shallow subs and Memphis S class if your depth limitation is under 3". If you have 4" to work with you're open to so much more options but I haven't looked that far into it since my mounting depth has to be less than 3".

#5 ·
I will have to tear apart the door before I can say for certain. I know that Don fit the MW182's in the front and he said they were rather simple to fit. I don't know if the back door is TOO much different.

When mentioning sealing of the door, are you referring to lots of deadener and some covering of some holes? or something more extensive?

#6 ·
When mentioning sealing of the door, are you referring to lots of deadener and some covering of some holes? or something more extensive?
I would think that's pretty much the best you can do without going crazy and fiberglassing an enclosure into the door. There are a few guys here that have done 8s and 10s in the door so maybe you can search and see what comes up. I haven't done it myself so I really can't say what specifically is required to make it work.

#9 ·
Just an FYI, I've done modeling of the Pioneer 841D and the Earthquake SWS-8 in both a small sealed and IB configuration and the response of the Earthquake looks much better. The Pioneer rolls off very high and very fast. I know that doesn't tell you how it sounds in the real world but it is useful information. I've also done models of various Morel drivers including the ADMW9, CAW930, MW265, MW266 and MW267. The response of the SWS-8 and all the Morel drivers are very close (within 1-2 db between 30Hz and 150Hz).

#11 ·
Cool :thumbsup: I'm interested to see what he ends up recommending. Since he's a Morel and Dynaudio dealer, he should have extensive knowledge of the drivers. I might have to start talking to him myself.

#12 ·
I'd try a pair of 8" subwoofers in the back doors if you can fit them. Make sure you deaden the F out of the door, door panel, and any other vibration-sensitive parts nearby. You probably don't want to use midbass drivers, which I think is part of the allure of the Peerless drivers. Probably long throw subs with hefty voice coils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.