DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use to get resin pretty reasonable. Now every place in town has it for 79.99 a gallon. It isn't gold. Anyone else have this issue? I would buy it in bulk but I don't glass as much as I use to and have no need for as much of it. Just sucks when I need short hair, resin, and filler. Everything but income is increasing.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I use to get resin pretty reasonable. Now every place in town has it for 79.99 a gallon. It isn't gold. Anyone else have this issue? I would buy it in bulk but I don't glass as much as I use to and have no need for as much of it. Just sucks when I need short hair, resin, and filler. Everything but income is increasing.
I went to home depot yesterday to buy some bondo glass since walmart was sold out. I think they were selling resin for 35 a gallon. It was 3m brand. Never used it so have no clue if it's good or bad.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to home depot yesterday to buy some bondo glass since walmart was sold out. I think they were selling resin for 35 a gallon. It was 3m brand. Never used it so have no clue if it's good or bad.
I will call them as soon as I get out of class. If they have resin for that price I am getting it there from now on for sure.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What State you in Domo?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is one of the million reasons why I love this site. Combined knowledge. I will head over there after class.

·
Premium Member
6,046 Posts
It's not that the cost of resin has gone up, it's that the value of a dollar has gone DOWN. A subtle difference, but important.

If u really want to see some crazy price increases, look up the cost of copper or neodymium.

If anyone has some creative ideas on how to profit from this, I'm all ears :D

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
It's not that the cost of resin has gone up, it's that the value of a dollar has gone DOWN. A subtle difference, but important.

If u really want to see some crazy price increases, look up the cost of copper or neodymium.

If anyone has some creative ideas on how to profit from this, I'm all ears :D
Yeah I was reading about the neodymium. I forgot the % it's gone up but it was pretty rediculous.

edit: it's gone up 2000%, lol.

Why Are Speakers So Damn Expensive These Days? From HomeTheaterReview.com -

·
jtaudioacc
1,952 Posts
when i started, i used to get 5 gallons of laminating resin for $45.00, now it's like $140 at the same place. :(

the 3m home depot stuff works okay, not my favorite though. it has a consistency i don't like. it works fine though.

copper is definitely ridiculous. wire keeps going up in price or the amount of copper in the wire goes down but the size stamped on the wire stays the same. :(

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Don't get me started on this, if you are not rich enough to have extra money every month (like the majority of people out there) you are getting so hosed yet they refuse to change a thing and years are going by. I hope people are figuring out that economic policy really does matter more than anything as it can cause them to live in a cardboard box like in some other countries. Look at food stamps, who is proud of those stats.

That said you should be able to use cheap resin no problem, try to fill the box with pieces of wood or add bracing or whatever if it helps use less resin. Any core inside the glass will add a lot of strength.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't get me started on this, if you are not rich enough to have extra money every month (like the majority of people out there) you are getting so hosed yet they refuse to change a thing and years are going by. I hope people are figuring out that economic policy really does matter more than anything as it can cause them to live in a cardboard box like in some other countries. Look at food stamps, who is proud of those stats.

That said you should be able to use cheap resin no problem, try to fill the box with pieces of wood or add bracing or whatever if it helps use less resin. Any core inside the glass will add a lot of strength.
Thank you for that. Come to find out HD had the cheapest resin in my part of the state. Not sure what makes everyone else so special. I am making kicks but I will try and fill what I can with other than resin. I will admit things are getting tight here in the hoosier state with the increase in taxes on top of the normal stuff like stupid high fuel, milk, food, etc. Didn't mean to get you started.sorry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts