DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being tight on cash, but wanting more power for my new DIYMA sub i just installed yesterday, is it possible to run 2 amp to the sub? Right now im running a kicker zx700.5 channel to run everything, but the sub channel only puts out 250-300rms watts at 4ohms, and the sub is craving more power!!! I was thinking about just buying another kicker zx400.1 or something and throwing that power to the sub as well? Didnt know if it was possible to run both amps to the sub? and if so how??

THANKS

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
You can run two amps to one sub so long as they are each powering separate voice coils, or the amps are externally bridged feeding one signal to the sub. However, I wouldn't recommend running two 'different' amps to a sub. You're better off buying a larger mono amp for the sub. Usually when people are running more than one amp to a single sub, it is because they already had one amp and bought a second to match, or because there wasn't a powerful enough amp available for the sub. Those ZX amps usually do over rated power, so it's possible a 400.1 would do close to 600w or so, which would be perfect for what you're wanting. Either that or pick up a 750.1. Just be careful with the gains- I've seen them bench at close to 1kw. ;)

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
You cannot do it , your way :(

your sub is a single 4 ohm vc

You can search strapping amps [ but this is for SPL ]

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
ditto to the above...add to it...its a DIYMA Sub!...I can see maybe having lots of headroom for some quick dynamic sequences...but strapping amps onto a non-spl sub????? Facepalm....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok guys, thanks. i think ill just sell my amp, and buy new.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Well maybe another way of going about this is...what are you wanted from your sub? Because the "typical" idea is lots of snap, tight, impact, etc and if you thought about strapping, lots of boom boom to boot...the DIYMA really isn't any of this...tight and accurate yes...snap and impact...not really.. I would just hate to see you buy a new amp and all thinking you're going to get "X" out of the DIYMA when really the DIYMA does "Y" and its going to die trying to achieve "X" sound for you. So again maybe the better question is..what am I wanting to achieve for sound....

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So. Even ported 300w is not enough?! Other than not enough power, how do you like it ported?
so far, i really like it ported. i wanna give it some playing time to break in and go from there.

New amp will help spur the economy too. Thank you for doing your part :)
no problem! just gotta figure out which amps i wanna run.

Well maybe another way of going about this is...what are you wanted from your sub? Because the "typical" idea is lots of snap, tight, impact, etc and if you thought about strapping, lots of boom boom to boot...the DIYMA really isn't any of this...tight and accurate yes...snap and impact...not really.. I would just hate to see you buy a new amp and all thinking you're going to get "X" out of the DIYMA when really the DIYMA does "Y" and its going to die trying to achieve "X" sound for you. So again maybe the better question is..what am I wanting to achieve for sound....
Well let me think. I really listen to pretty much every type of music, depending on my mood etc. Mostly i listen to rap, but i wouldent consider myself a bass head. I do enjoy when i can pull up to a young punk in a civic or something that sounds horrible with 2 15s or whatever and shut him up! haha, but i really wanted a SQ setup, that looks good, and can hit when needed. I wish i had another amp around to throw more power at it and see how i like it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i just figured out which amps im gonna run. since i cant afford alpine pdx like i really want, but know alpine amps are the ****! im gonna run a MRP-M1000 for the sub...600rms at 4ohms should be perfect, and im gonna run the MRP-F300 for my mids/highs. anybody got anything good or bad to say about those amps??

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
i just figured out which amps im gonna run. since i cant afford alpine pdx like i really want, but know alpine amps are the ****! im gonna run a MRP-M1000 for the sub...600rms at 4ohms should be perfect, and im gonna run the MRP-F300 for my mids/highs. anybody got anything good or bad to say about those amps??
As long as they fit your budget, tuning and footprint needs and they make rated power, go for it. ;)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but how do they sound sq wise?? as much as i want to buy new amps, i wanna make sure if im spending the money, im getting amps worth it! are alpine amps known for making the rated power etc? i know enough to know alpine, but ive never looked into the MRP amps?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Or buy another sub so you can run 2ohms on the 700.5 like mine is. I have all the output I need, but that is up to you. Sure I like the alpines, I doubt the sound will change but I like alpines at the limit better. I may end up with alpines of some kind but not new, have some waiting to try. I want to try some other stuff to compare to the 700.5...but I don't have an issue with the sub channel on it.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks guys, just decided to buy new amps....actually got one today!!! $300 at bestbuy brand new. i went there planning on finding a 600.1 cause someone said they had them for $250, they were sold out, but i grabbed this. gonna sell ym kicker 5 channel, put that money and some cash toward the 600.1 and call it good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts