DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

intends to run/play around a bunch of my spare car audio stuffs including a couple of 12 and 15 incher woofer at home

now at the power planing stage, after looking around for a couple of days, find that computer atx PSUs would be the most cost effective watt for watt

I already have a spare soundstream 20 farad hybrid capacitor, I am planing to buy 2x corsair 850watt atx PSUs (corsair 850TX V2) and run them paralle to the capacitor bank

by parallel I means all the +12volt lines from both the PSUs will goes to the positive terminal of the capacitor bank and all the -12volt lines from both the PSUs will goes to the negative terminal of the capacitor bank

it is safe to do this? I have seen two pro audio shop in my area do this with some really old atx psu connected to normal car battery to power their soundboard, the question is, is it totally safe? I don't want to burn down my house..

pls advise, or advise me where I can seek advise, thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
I know you can many of the big Astrons they have a parallel terminal to tie them together. They also have very low ripple so you don't really need a cap bank but it won't hurt.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
hi all,

intends to run/play around a bunch of my spare car audio stuffs including a couple of 12 and 15 incher woofer at home

now at the power planing stage, after looking around for a couple of days, find that computer atx PSUs would be the most cost effective watt for watt

I already have a spare soundstream 20 farad hybrid capacitor, I am planing to buy 2x corsair 850watt atx PSUs (corsair 850TX V2) and run them paralle to the capacitor bank

by parallel I means all the +12volt lines from both the PSUs will goes to the positive terminal of the capacitor bank and all the -12volt lines from both the PSUs will goes to the negative terminal of the capacitor bank

it is safe to do this? I have seen two pro audio shop in my area do this with some really old atx psu connected to normal car battery to power their soundboard, the question is, is it totally safe? I don't want to burn down my house..

pls advise, or advise me where I can seek advise, thanks
Keep in mind that computer PSUs don't output all their power through a single output lead. Most have 2 or 3 different outputs. There are usually multiple +12V rails as well as +5V rails.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know you can many of the big Astrons they have a parallel terminal to tie them together. They also have very low ripple so you don't really need a cap bank but it won't hurt.
thanks for the info bro, the cap bank is for the transient surge :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that computer PSUs don't output all their power through a single output lead. Most have 2 or 3 different outputs. There are usually multiple +12V rails as well as +5V rails.
yes, that's why I chose the Corsair 850TX V2, single rail 12volt output

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Current...he basically said that. 850W / 12V = 70.83A, x 80% (subtract for efficiency) = 56.66A

Now is that all on one output wire, I doubt it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One supply may be enough. Unless you're having all-night parties, you'll probably be running the amps at a small fraction of maximum power. I've noticed there's not as much road and wind noise and vibration to drown out at home.

Or, run different amps or groups of amps off the different supplies.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
With that type of wire's size, looks more like max power and not continous....
Just think it based on a PC's perspective, only running stress test will use more power and having the CPU and GPU heated up... So, it may end up on thermal shutdown on that both..
For me, I'll just get a decent AC-DC that can do 50-75A continously which will be better, beware it won't be cheap....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts