DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Is Phoenix Gold still a good solid amp manufacturer

13K views 51 replies 19 participants last post by  rick james 
#1 ·
I am still in the market for a 6-channel amplifier. I almost bought a Gladen XS75C6 but that deal fell through. I, now, have my sights on a Phoenix Gold SX2 1200.6.

I know PG used to be a pretty good amp manufacturer. But, I've read that they may have gone downhill quite a bit over the years. The price of the SX2 1200.6 seems to be too good to be true. I can get it for under $500. But, I don't want to dish out any money for an amp that may die on me a year from now. So, should I trust Phoenix Gold and this SX2 1200.6?

I am, also, looking at the Alpine R-A90S, but it is $600 and a lot less powerful. But, it is Alpine and I think I can trust Alpine to produce a reliable amp. I am not sure I can be so trustful with Phoenix Gold.

What do you guys think of Phoenix Gold and of what do you think of the SX2 1200.6 6-channel amplifier?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Don't know if you saw the video by 5 star on that GZ amp but it didn't make rated power. I lusted for one until then.
That Ground Zero amp looks very, very nice. It's just too much $$$ at $2000. I could not find a bench test video on it. I saw the unboxing of it on YouTube, just not the bench test. Looked all over for the bench test, but to no avail. I could not ind one.

Did I see Burr Brown opamps listed in the unboxing video?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
I dont think PG amps are bad, just part of big partner company now. Not the same amps of old, but probably not bad. From what I have heard, they do rated power, do what they are supposed to do. I think the alpine is just known to be solid with every amp offering. I would also imagine Alpine is just a cleaner sounder better SQ but that would be my guess. Even then you would have to A/B both amps in the same system to pick up any SQ difference.

I think some of this boils down to price and reliability. I wouldnt think that any of their amps have melt downs or issues.
I was, also, wondering if the Alpine would be a cleaner, quieter amp as compared to the PG. That would be a big factor in my book. Power wise, I don't think I will hear a big difference in volume between the two. But, I can get the PG for under $450. The Alpine will be $599. I will get the Alpine R-A90S from an authorized Alpine dealer. I am not sure if the online dealer selling the PG is authorized. I emailed them about that, but have not heard back from them. That's not really a big concern, as long as the PG is a quality-made amplifier. Thus, the title of this thread.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
If you want a big class AB you could look at us acoustics/SSA

same amp

another idea, less power but has some DSP features if you need those.
[/URL]

This guys is pretty sexy, imo
Well, damn, now you got me considering two more amps (not the Sony).

same amp

Well, damn, now you have me considering two more amps (not the Sony). I really like the Individual Gain control for all 6 channels, the docking pads, the opamps and the IC chips, the Tiffany Style RCA connectors, and the no crossover newtwork of the SSA amp. And, that thing is heavy!!! 33 lbs!!!

That US Acoustics amp looks very nice, as well...spec wise.

I had my selection narrowed down to two, now it is four.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Maybe it would have made rated power if they actually measured it to the standard it is rated

CEA-2006 Compliant Standard
Manufacturers are required to:
  • Express output power as watts RMS
  • Measure with 14.4V DC supply
  • Utilize testing under a 4-ohm load
  • Have 1% or less total harmonic distortion in the amplifier’s output.
instead of 13,5V as they tested with.

Too bad if that misleading test made you lose interest in this amp.
I have to go eat with you, haakono. That added voltage would probably have got the app to publish specs. In the test, the amp did not miss the specs by all that much.

Discussion starter · #17 ·
I have to go eat with you, haakono. That added voltage would probably have got the app to publish specs. In the test, the amp did not miss the specs by all that much.
My reply should have said "I have to agree with you, haakono. The added voltage would probably have got the amp to the published specs. In the test, the amp did not miss the specs by all that much."

If I could edit my post, I would, but, there is no "edit" tab to do that. I have to do a better job of proofreading when I use voice recognition to post something on this (or any) site, anyhow.

Discussion starter · #20 ·
View attachment 325749
I own two PG. solid amp. I also own Audison 5.1hk.
I have to admit, that PG SX2 1200.6 looks very enticing.
View attachment 325749
I own two PG. solid amp. I also own Audison 5.1hk.
I have t admit, that PG SX2 1200.6 ;looks very enticing.
The 3 vertical dots to the top right of YOUR post will let you edit.
The amp will run my Morel Tempo Ultra 602 component speakers (these will be run active) that are in the doors. It will also run a couple of Focal Access 690AC 6x9 speakers in the rear deck. No sub. The doors are deadened.

Discussion starter · #23 ·

same amp

Well, Lithium, I ended up purchasing the US Acoustics Lanna. Thanks for the recommendations. I am almost absolutely positive that SSA amp is a Lanna with a different nameplate. Since it was only about $5 less than the Lanna, I chose the Lanna to be on the safe side.

Did a lot of research and a lot of checking. I think I made a very good choice. It's a big and HEAVY amp. But, I have the room for this goliath. I can't wait to get it!!!