DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

So in the 90’s and early 2000’s car ran passives and PLD where a thing...

These days you have Brax DSP’s even $300 DSPs that compute things in ways a 90’s and 2000’s car cannot do...

With the advent of A-Pillars and the moving away from kicks (due to footwell space getting smaller and smaller due to safety)

So the question is if you had a high end 2 way with passives and a sub with a 3 channel amp can you get a better result than a 2 way and sub with a 5 channel amp and a DSP...

Assuming your a pro in old school design and modern DSP tuning with all the tools at your disposal such as RTA’s etc etc...

Which would get a better result - no holds barred...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
my vote is with DSP. Time Aligning everything, to me, makes the biggest difference....that and being able to use 24dB slopes. Then you have EQ on top. No question, the DSP route.

·
Premium Member
3,803 Posts
Maximize speaker locations to minimize amount of DSP needed

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
IMO install practices, including PLD, still matter !!!

For example, check out the Highlander install of AudioGal...she incorporates a DSP Ultra but still keeps all front speakers in vertical alignment and her system sounded great IIRC before even tuning with the DSP.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
IMO install practices, including PLD, still matter !!!

For example, check out the Highlander install of AudioGal...she incorporates a DSP Ultra but still keeps all front speakers in vertical alignment and her system sounded great IIRC before even tuning with the DSP.

But that’s not using As near to equal length pld’s, that’s using time alignment, granted it’s keeping speakers on the sides similar distances apart, but otherwise it’s the mdoern approach, this op is on about kick panels, getting plds down to a minimum, fitting horns under a dash, old school stuff without time alignment and getting a car to sound good from two seats, there was only one car I’ve heard of that could do the two seat thing with dash mounted speakers

so yes while what she did is a good basic setup, it’s far from the ops question if you see where I’m coming from

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But that’s not using As near to equal length pld’s, that’s using time alignment, granted it’s keeping speakers on the sides similar distances apart, but otherwise it’s the mdoern approach, this op is on about kick panels, getting plds down to a minimum, fitting horns under a dash, old school stuff without time alignment and getting a car to sound good from two seats, there was only one car I’ve heard of that could do the two seat thing with dash mounted speakers

so yes while what she did is a good basic setup, it’s far from the ops question if you see where I’m coming from
The post is that nostalgia plays a role as music is an emotion that emotion is a memory. My 94 setup to my ears sounded better than my friends B&W home system with Mark Levinson amps speakers that cost more than my car... I sat there thinking my car sounded better...

The reality sets in that most of the setups after that they where active actually did sound better but we where chasing a memory that hasn’t been repeated because in your mind you have upgraded everything and are expecting everything to be twice as good but in reality it’s not twice as good - it’s better not twice as good. Your almost disappointed and that memory has not been recreated in your new setup - fast forward 10 setups later when in 94 your using Reference Soundstream amps and MC Soundstream amps with Exact speakers and subs - today your using Multiple Brax MX amps Audison HV Venti and Helix Pro 2 DSP and Focal M and JBLW15GTI subs - you better believe it’s not just better it’s worlds apart and your brain has now come to the realization that should you go back in time and bring that 94 setup side by side to your current setup - you would probably thing WTF was I thinking that 94 setup is no better than a entry setup....

Nostalgia is a bitch... that’s why when I hear guys saying the best car they ever heard was a 3 way passive setup off 3 channels I am already thinking BS... or they haven’t heard a properly sorted active setup...,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts

Yup...times two. Nowhere near as profoundly put as @Elektra ...but the same concept,,,advances in technology have made many things irrelevant (or not as relevant anyway). Not trying to start a barney,,,but I've chatted to a few of the 'older car audio guys' who have been reticent to move forward or have just stuck to the old school stuff they know...it really hasn't been fun.
Everything in it's right place (great song!)...that includes new tech as well as old school install philosophy for mine.
Not having a go at any older guys here either...dam I turn 40 in 12 days and I'm not sure if I can still refer to anyone as 'older guys' anyway....I think I am them....? WTF happened :LOL:
Peace (y)

·
Registered
34 Posts
My point is I'm 50. I just bought my first dsp. I didn't know what I was missing. I used to have ALL the audio control stuff

1 - 10 of 10 Posts