DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my humble opinion they won't make it as a car manufacturing company... I also think they shouldn't be making cars, because of their lack of experience and lack of existing infrastructure.

I think Tesla should focus on building the electric car "platform" for other mfgs to put in their own cars.

Tesla's fit and finish is the worst of any car I have seen. Take a look at the body panels - none of them line up. Some of the joints are so bad they look like a shitty body shop did a shoddy repair after the car was totalled in an accident! Lol

If their own massive problems don't finish them off, competition will at some point. Tesla set the bar high, but the German and Japanese mfgs can/will easily build a better e-car...

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I've said for years that I don't think Telsa's end game is cars. They needed a way to make their name known so they can proliferate their technology and probably more importantly sell batteries.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've said for years that I don't think Telsa's end game is cars. They needed a way to make their name known so they can proliferate their technology and probably more importantly sell batteries.
Agree 100%.

It'll be unfortunate for the investors and for the car owners once the inevitable happens...

I am a huge Porsche fan... Once this car is for sale, Tesla doesn't stand a chance. https://www.google.com/search?q=porsche+mission+e&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlprSeqqvaAhUKRKwKHVsAA_UQ_AUICygC&biw=1242&bih=579

Not to mention all the other luxury brands that will introduce their own...

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I somewhat disagree - my mom drives a Model S ... while i do agree with the fit and finish statement, i think they more than make up for it with the supercharger network and the one thing they excel at more than any other car company I’ve ever dealt with: customer service. In any event they are disrupting the indistry in some very interesting ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Interesting... I guess I'm pretty much out of the loop anymore (or maybe under a rock, LOL); I didn't know they're having such major QC issues. I do hope they get their processes sorted out, although it seems to be more a matter of "wiil they" than "can they;" after all, Quality Assurance is not Rocket Science, LOL.

Good point about the batteries. Back when I was a bit more in the automotive loop, that did seem to be their primary focus.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Btw, I am not a Tesla hater... I DO think they paved the way for some bad ass electric cars to be made.
Plus, their acceleration is mind blowing!!!

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
Me too. Tesla is big around here. Refueling stations everywhere. Solar City built a huge plant and brought 6000+ jobs with it. Tesla's are sweet. Don't forget Ford had 19 models before 1 got "right and caught on. Chevy had to buy other companies technology before they built a car that really caught on. Takes a while but theu should be here to stay.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
155 Posts
another thing to consider is the limited amount of lithium available, the price will skyrocket soon (unless deposits are plentiful and are mined in mass). when/if this happens i predict if no other solution is found for high density batteries, we'll be SOL

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm actually sitting at the Hawthorne CA industrial park that houses both Spacex and the Tesla engineering campus....What I find interesting is the lack of Tesla cars in the parking area....With the exception of a few test cars....
I have two friends who work at SpaceX... You are minutes from my home. :D

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have two friends who work at SpaceX... You are minutes from my home. :D
Lol, you should have said something. I sat in the Lowe's parking lot for a couple of hours to let traffic die down. Lol, no way your friends missed me, hard to miss a guy bringing in four trucks stacked on each other. That, and they were all outside at one point or another for those walking coffee breaks....Wtf is up with that?

And does any of them know that that big assed pipeline taking up what used to be the right lane is for?

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
Tesla's fit and finish is the worst of any car I have seen. Take a look at the body panels - none of them line up. Some of the joints are so bad they look like a shitty body shop did a shoddy repair after the car was totalled in an accident! Lol
I thought they were built on a Lotus chassis, so is the fit-n-finish worse?

depends if they make it without the massive deductions they get from the govt
If it is in the government preview to have some DARPA like influence on R&D to improve the US automotive competitiveness, then any money in subsidies will only be wasted if the patents and intellectual property are squandered for profit from to overseas companies buying it out.

They are at least pushing the technology.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
another thing to consider is the limited amount of lithium available, the price will skyrocket soon (unless deposits are plentiful and are mined in mass). when/if this happens i predict if no other solution is found for high density batteries, we'll be SOL
There are enough known deposits at this time to support production until roughly 2100, give or take a few years depending on growth. Like oil, when price goes up, R&D into harder extraction methods also goes up in order to get the more difficult to recover material, so that 2100 could go out even further.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I thought they were built on a Lotus chassis, so is the fit-n-finish worse?
That was the old "Tesla Roadster," produced from 2008 - 2012.

I'm pretty sure the comments in this thread pertain to models "S" and/or "X" (and possibly "3").

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That, and they were all outside at one point or another for those walking coffee breaks....Wtf is up with that?
It's California, who knows... Everything out here is weird and border line gay! :laugh:

Reactions: leepersc

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Expensive, and questionable longevity from internal and external materials.

Most of tesla's owners wouldn't buy one to park it outside every night, in 10 years we will know how they hold up and may judge the high price tag that is based on saving gas or have 0 emissions.

1 - 20 of 319 Posts