DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 319 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Lots of great insight and food for thought! Thank you for that.

Congratulations! :beerchug:
Thanks!

The fact that they didn't explain this well at the reveal shows just how badly that reveal went. I'm pro-tesla but that reveal was 100% a shitshow and the stock price hit was justified.

Another little detail that kind of ties into the quoted details about "Path #2" is their competition from Rivian. They have their R1T truck which went down "Path #1". Much more traditional and visually appealing. The only issue is that their truck starts at $69k with 230 miles of range (which will be next to nothing if you're towing something).

Now this abomination of a Cybertruck is positioned at $69k for 500+ miles of range and 0-60 in 2.9 sec with the 3-motor powertrain. That's going to really put the squeeze on Rivian.

Again it took me a few days to think it over and figure it all out, but I think this will prove to be a pretty clever move in the long term. Tesla would have saved themselves a lot of trouble had they not royally trainwrecked the reveal.

Reactions: Grinder

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Thanks!

The fact that they didn't explain this well at the reveal shows just how badly that reveal went. I'm pro-tesla but that reveal was 100% a shitshow and the stock price hit was justified.

Another little detail that kind of ties into the quoted details about "Path #2" is their competition from Rivian. They have their R1T truck which went down "Path #1". Much more traditional and visually appealing. The only issue is that their truck starts at $69k with 230 miles of range (which will be next to nothing if you're towing something).

Now this abomination of a Cybertruck is positioned at $69k for 500+ miles of range and 0-60 in 2.9 sec with the 3-motor powertrain. That's going to really put the squeeze on Rivian.

Again it took me a few days to think it over and figure it all out, but I think this will prove to be a pretty clever move in the long term. Tesla would have saved themselves a lot of trouble had they not royally trainwrecked the reveal.
It makes a lot of sense. You make a very compelling case, and I bet you're right.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Positive points:

I think that the built-in T-slots in the bed and bed rails for unlimited tie-downs, the bed cover, along with all of the storage compartments, are ingenious. Then there is the built-in tailgate ramp. And they didn't show it, but there will be a large frunk storage compartment.

The interior space for 6 passengers is completely unimpeded, with no transmission hump or shift knob/center console in the way of legroom. Plus there's plenty of headroom for taller occupants.
The tailgate ramp is great and such a simple idea, still wish the damn sides were lower to put stuff in the bed that way!! I do like a lot of the features and the interior, but that exterior....

Oh, BTW I reserved one today. Roast me. :D :laugh:
Nice. In all honesty if I thought I could afford to one when they are available, I would seriously consider it. The exterior is ugly, no doubt about it, but it has a lot of appealing features, and, like I wrote in my earlier reply, an electric truck with plenty of room inside and decent performance is an ideal vehicle for me. I'm also looking forward to what Ford come up with for an electric F150.

This is a really fair point. Can the cybertruck tow your boat to the lake in the mountains, camp for a weekend, then bring you back? Even the base model out pulls the competition, but if you can't use it for the same things, then it'll be completely pointless.
I think I read something about solar power, now I don't believe the solar is going to be the ultimate solution to some of the scenarios. But, I believe it adds up to 15 extra miles of range per day. It is a good point though, all well and good saying the tri-motor can do 500 miles, but in the real world towing something I'd be very surprised to see that. Similar to how the Model S performs well on a track, for a couple laps.

I am just not ready for electric... Not even close. I'll admit this publicly: at 44 years old I sometimes sit and listen (watch) to those YouTube videos of badass cars arriving at and leaving meets. I LOOOOOVE everything about a high powered gas guzzling engine!
40 here and more than ready for an electric vehicle as a daily driver, but, I'd want to have a classic gas guzzler in the garage as well.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #265
Thanks!

The Rivian is a very nice looking truck...

And btw, it has a built in subwoofer enclosure area! ;)

Yep, that Reveal was hilarious! Maybe they should have tried the ball throwing thing on the glass BEFORE, to make sure it wouldn't break!! :laugh:

To me that reveal was a lot like the way I see Tesla as a company... They sorta wing it and hope it works out.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
I think I am gonna put the Tesla truck with the broken glass, as my background and screensaver. Whenever I feel like I am having a bad day or my wife is ugly, I just look at the picture and it will make me feel better again!!!

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
Yep, that Reveal was hilarious! Maybe they should have tried the ball throwing thing on the glass BEFORE, to make sure it wouldn't break!! :laugh:

To me that reveal was a lot like the way I see Tesla as a company... They sorta wing it and hope it works out.
Pretty amateur if you ask me. Tesla needs to make a few changes professionally if they are to be taken seriously by the people who are still not ready to join their team. I would bet that most of the Tesla owners aren't "car guys" and if they want the business of the "car guys" they need to step some things up and graduate to being more professional.

They could make a sports car that any enthusiast would love to drive, they could make the die hard internal combustion guys change their minds about needing a noisy engine/exhaust in order for a car to be exciting, and they could style a car that is properly good looking. But, so far they've fallen short of expectations in all of those categories. They are still a young company, so we'll see what they can do in 10 years, but right now they are building fast cars for people who don't like to drive, instead of targeting the enthusiasts with a car that will convert even the die hard gear heads.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
Why didn't Tesla do this??

Or this??

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
blah, will stick to my gasoline

Reactions: cmusic

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
GreatLaBronski, I think you made some valid points in your long post. However, so much of what you said could have translated into a GOOD LOOKING truck rather than the abomination that was presented. It is amazing just how accurate the memes are that compare the design to a child's sketch of a truck. Not to mention the fact that the design entirely forgoes safety standards and practicality in favor of what appear to be a laundry list of "functional" gimmicks.

I'm still not 100% sure Musk & team aren't trolling the public. I have no doubt the underpinnings, materials, features, capabilities and production process are all real. I'm still betting that this was all a marketing ploy to grab attention. The press on the reveal is practically unprecedented for modern vehicles, even if the reaction on Wall St wasn't favorable. There is no reason that the team at Tesla can't take all of those aspects I listed above and build a good looking truck where form truly followed function.

If there was a way to easily quantify the differences between what was presented and what hits the road, I would gladly be taking bets that the former will not be the later. Because, let's face it... what was presented was a concept vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less.

And bbfoto, there is a Eureka! Burger in Fresno, as well. I've been many times. My "go to" is the bone marrow burger, but the Fresno Fig burger is awesome, too. I know you're up this way fairly often, so keep that in mind next time you're passing through. ;)

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
When I first saw this monstrosity I thought my eyes were going to pop out. I still think it's fuggly but the idea is really cool. Like with anything it just needs some bugs worked out of it to make it a true winner.

On the range of it while towing, think of how much gas a gas burner uses over several hours of towing and how much gas one of the fuel efficient generators uses over the course of a few hours of charging. HUGE difference. We're talking a gallon of generator gas to charge batteries vs 20-30 gallons of gas towing over the same range with a gas burner. I don't see that as being counterintuitive at all.

And I've grown to love whisper quiet vehicles. I haven't had loud exhaust on anything I've owned since 07ish and that used to be the FIRST thing I'd get done to a truck. My 06 Sierra had loud pipes on it less than 24 hours after signing the papers. Just got tired of hearing them beller. Truth be told the way I use a truck a full electric would make perfect sense for me. The boat ramp I use most is 10 minutes from the house. Would still want at a minimum a hybrid if not a full gas burner for a daily. If I wanna pull an 800 mile day of driving without waiting for batteries to charge I'm gonna do it! Thinking about getting a gently preowned awd CR-V in about 4 years for a daily when my truck is paid off. This hillbilly is getting old and boring.

Reactions: naiku

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
GreatLaBronski, I think you made some valid points in your long post. However, so much of what you said could have translated into a GOOD LOOKING truck rather than the abomination that was presented. It is amazing just how accurate the memes are that compare the design to a child's sketch of a truck. Not to mention the fact that the design entirely forgoes safety standards and practicality in favor of what appear to be a laundry list of "functional" gimmicks.

I'm still not 100% sure Musk & team aren't trolling the public. I have no doubt the underpinnings, materials, features, capabilities and production process are all real. I'm still betting that this was all a marketing ploy to grab attention. The press on the reveal is practically unprecedented for modern vehicles, even if the reaction on Wall St wasn't favorable. There is no reason that the team at Tesla can't take all of those aspects I listed above and build a good looking truck where form truly followed function.

If there was a way to easily quantify the differences between what was presented and what hits the road, I would gladly be taking bets that the former will not be the later. Because, let's face it... what was presented was a concept vehicle. Nothing more, nothing less.
I have no desire to be the only advocate for Tesla here. But I guess I might be.

I see your point for sure, and I agree.

I did mention the "polygon aesthetics" in my long post. The issue, as I understand it, is with the tooling process. Their Space X 30x cold-rolled 3XX series stainless steel alloy is tougher than titanium according to Elon Musk. Complex curved shapes with extremely stiff hardened steel will require larger presses and very frequent tooling die replacement. The harder the material the quicker you're going to run through tooling dies. Those mofos are expensive. The capex for bigger presses is seriously significant. Ideally you want to be able to use the equipment you're already using for the S, 3, X, Y, etc.

This kind of leads back to the whole "Path #1" thing where you now have a truck which is $20k more expensive and you have incoming competition from Rivian at the same price point, plus it's not very compelling against a F-150 or other "normal" truck. For this to be compelling it has to be actually "better" in some ways than the current offerings. It can't just be "an electric version of a truck" but more expensive and with less range.

So they went functionality and cost before traditional aesthetics. I'm absolutely okay with it personally and I'm looking forward to taking delivery at the end of 2021 / beginning of 2022.

As far as safety goes, the panels are 3mm thick. Typical car panels use sheet steel that is 18 gauge or 1.214mm. That means that the Cybertruck has much thicker (and harder) panels. But I'd hardly expect them to be structurally significant in the event of a crash. The door panel, as an example, did bend under the force of the sledgehammer. It just didn't dent/deform.

The structural frame components that crumple in modern cars are much thicker than 3mm and are also comprised of multiple types / grades of metal including hardened steel. So I'd be surprised if the body design creates the need for any significant hoop-jumping to make it safe in a collision versus any other vehicle. But that remains to be seen and is important to me.

Amazon owns a percentage of Rivian and they already placed an order of 100,000 Rivian delivery vans. Not sure how it looks like lol
Ah the Jeff Bezos dick waving contest with Elon Musk lives on. :)

Last one was/is Blue Origin vs Space X. Last one was an "oof" for Bezos, but we'll see how this one works out. Either way, I'm a supporter of electric vehicles and competition only serves to benefit the customer. There are only two people I wouldn't want to compete against in business and that's both Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. It's fun to see what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object.

Reactions: DavidRam

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and call BS on the claim that the low poly design was a necessity based on the simplification of the stamping/manufacturing process. And that was part of the point of my post. You can keep the simplified process and still have a better looking truck that doesn't look like a low poly render.

261 - 280 of 319 Posts