DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

281 - 300 of 319 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
I'm just going to go ahead and call BS on the claim that the low poly design was a necessity based on the simplification of the stamping/manufacturing process. And that was part of the point of my post. You can keep the simplified process and still have a better looking truck that doesn't look like a low poly render.
I don't know your experience in manufacturing but I did work in injection molding and tooling life was substantially affected by "rougher" thermoplastics such as glass fiber reinforced plastics. The same should apply to steel dies. I'm not sure what your basis is for calling BS.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
The Cybertruck is the new Hummer H2 and Chrysler PT Cruiser. It's a vanity vehicle and useless as a real work truck, not to mention '70's bad space movie ugly. Tesla shot themselves in the foot.

I do like the Model S and the new Model 3 performance really well.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #284
So the title of this thread now means "Is Tesla going to make it?" as in, are they really gonna make this ugly truck?! Lol

Reactions: Grinder

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I'm must glad I'm not the only one that thought "Deloreon" when I first saw the Tesla truck. Let's just how Tesla doesn't meet the same fate.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
That looks shockingly good. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Tesla/SpaceX's engineers know how to design with aerodynamics in mind.
I guess we really shouldn't be surprised at this truck then... It's what we should have expected when you combine an electric car company, a space travel company and a psychedelic drug using CEO! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I guess we really shouldn't be surprised at this truck then... It's what we should have expected when you combine an electric car company, a space travel company and a psychedelic drug using CEO! :laugh:
To be honest as well, he has been saying for years it will look like something from Bladerunner. We all just forgot that Bladerunner was made in the 80's and that we'd get an 80's idea of what a futuristic vehicle will look like.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
The truck is straight up horrendous looking compared to his cars which are quite appealing. What's impressive is the price point which I don't understand why the same was not done for the cars. I'm sure there will be all sorts of explanations given here, but not really acceptable or interested.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
The truck is straight up horrendous looking compared to his cars which are quite appealing. What's impressive is the price point which I don't understand why the same was not done for the cars. I'm sure there will be all sorts of explanations given here, but not really acceptable or interested.

I know it's subjective, but take the badges off of one of the sedans and they are just dull, generic sedans (with uneven chrome around the windows). From the silhouette they look like every other sedan on the road, there is nothing interesting about the way they look, except for the badge.

I love Tesla, and want them to be successful, but so far nothing they've made has been nearly as good as it can be. In 10 years I expect we'll see much better cars from them.

·
Registered
7,739 Posts
I know it's subjective, but take the badges off of one of the sedans and they are just dull, generic sedans (with uneven chrome around the windows). From the silhouette they look like every other sedan on the road, there is nothing interesting about the way they look, except for the badge.

I love Tesla, and want them to be successful, but so far nothing they've made has been nearly as good as it can be. In 10 years I expect we'll see much better cars from them.
I haven't looked at every minor detail of the sedans I've seen (briefly riding alongside on the highway), but the overall shape and stance was appealing enough to be desirable.... just not at what they're asking for one though.

·
Registered
504 Posts
The truck is hideous. Somehow there are 250,000 preorders. People just love this company. As far as Tesla making it...Tesla is already worth (market cap) 60 billion. Ford is worth 35 billion for comparison

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I'm must glad I'm not the only one that thought "Deloreon" when I first saw the Tesla truck. Let's just how Tesla doesn't meet the same fate.
And earlier someone posted something about a child's drawing...
It does have a look about like a child's drawing of a car (that becomes as Lancia Stratos.)
And it also has a look of a Hummer crossed with a Stratos.

The Elise was also somewhat inspired by drawings, so as a concept the truck seems refreshing... and a 0-60 truck significantly under 10 seconds is also somewhat noteworthy.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
And earlier someone posted something about a child's drawing...
It does have a look about like a child's drawing of a car (that becomes as Lancia Stratos.)
And it also has a look of a Hummer crossed with a Stratos.

The Elise was also somewhat inspired by drawings, so as a concept the truck seems refreshing... and a 0-60 truck significantly under 10 seconds is also somewhat noteworthy.

Well, I don't think an electric motor needs to "ramp up" like a combustion engine does so it better shit n git;)

·
Slowpoke
1,361 Posts
that reveal
One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. And I don't mean the truck.

About the truck though - cool idea & all, but how does it crash? He brags about how hard the body is and that all the rigidity is in the outer skin. Modern cars are built to absorb impacts which makes them safer than ever before. So how does one that resists impacts hold up in a crash? Seems it would transfer more force to the occupants in collisions with heavier objects.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #296
One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. And I don't mean the truck.

About the truck though - cool idea & all, but how does it crash? He brags about how hard the body is and that all the rigidity is in the outer skin. Modern cars are built to absorb impacts which makes them safer than ever before. So how does one that resists impacts hold up in a crash? Seems it would transfer more force to the occupants in collisions with heavier objects.
Seems strange to me, too. I didn't know there were weaknesses in the current truck bodies, that we needed a solution for. Is there a serial sledge-hammerer on the loose in America?! :p

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Seems strange to me, too. I didn't know there were weaknesses in the current truck bodies, that we needed a solution for. Is there a serial sledge-hammerer on the loose in America?! :p
They're called crumple zones;)

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Teslas seem popular in Europe. (Jeeps and Cryslers seem rare).
Maybe people have more income, or appreciate the lines of the cars, or have some other attraction.

281 - 300 of 319 Posts