DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

301 - 319 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Definitely different vehicles. Subaru WRX STIs are slow off the line but when they spool up, they’re gone. The Tesla is so fast and effortless off the line that they really don’t feel as fast as they are. You don’t get any of the traditional environmental clues of going fast like the sound of rpm building or shifting. Even something like a Hellcat has a (minimal) lag between pressing the gas and getting a downshift and spool up. No lag with the Tesla. On the flip side, the STI and Hellcat would trounce a Tesla above 60.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
If the base model cyber truck had a 500 mile range, then we are starting to get somewhere. ...

Another major consideration as a truck is the towing capability. While the towing capacity is much better than comparable ICE trucks, AFAIK Tesla did not state how much each of the cyber truck model variations will weigh on their own.

And when towing a travel trailer, vehicle transport trailer, boat, etc, most driving is typically long-haul and to fairly distant and/or remote recreational destinations. What will the actual range be once you add towing weights of 5,000-15,000lbs and are pulling steep grades over mountain passes???

Obviously, a very common use case scenario for owning & buying a truck is for camping/hunting/boating excursions, often while towing some type of trailer. How are you going to charge your cyber truck while out in the boonies camping or hunting, etc?

Are you going to bring along your portable Honda generator & gas cans in the bed of the truck and run the genny all night long to do this? LOL, that seems a bit counter-productive, no?

What if you or one of your family members has a medical emergency, but your EV isn't yet charged enough to get you to a medical facility?
This is a really fair point. Can the cybertruck tow your boat to the lake in the mountains, camp for a weekend, then bring you back? Even the base model out pulls the competition, but if you can't use it for the same things, then it'll be completely pointless.

In Colorado, it's not unlikely to camp 4-5 hours away. Those 4-5 hours are basically all uphill. Can the Tesla pull a proper trailer up 8,000 ft to the offroad campsite, sustain power for Memorial Day weekend, then confidently take you back home?

The answer is, probably. But, if it can't do that comfortably enough to give the driver confidence that if he makes a wrong turn his battery will still get him home, then it will be a failure.
200kwh is a LOT of battery. But your point is why I reserved the tri-motor 500+ mi range one. I want to be able to tow a full trailer to the river. Tesla does have the Tesla Semi project so I'd be surprised if they know nothing about towing mileage losses. But we'll find out as more details come out.

Okay, so as I suspected, this is why the Cybertruck might work for the "Urban Warrior", but not as a true replacement for a "Working/Hauling/Off-Road" ICE truck...

And Dustin/rton20s, I have been to the Fresno Eureka! Burger location once as well. :D I took my Australian B-I-L, sister, nieces, and newphew there for lunch last Christmas holiday while down in Fresno doing some "American" Christmas shopping. :)

I was super stoked to learn that there was one in Fresno, as they are few and far between. They seem to be located in somewhat unusual locations for some reason, but I'm not complaining! :) Yeah, I love most of their burgers and just about everything else, LOL!

We'll have to make it our rendezvous point when I'm up in Oakhurst/Bass Lake over the holidays. ;)

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
9,176 Posts
We'll have to make it our rendezvous point when I'm up in Oakhurst/Bass Lake over the holidays. ;)

Cheers!
Sounds good. I should be around. I might even try to get some mountain bike riding in up around Bass Lake this month if we find the time. Eureka! would be a great spot for a meet up, just message me whenever you'll be in the area.

Reactions: bbfoto

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
People would be better off just buying a spool of 3M wrap and do it themselves, including cutting it to go around the edges. Much cheaper that way.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #306

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don’t know if anyone has commented on the fact that Tesla sells cars for LESS than it costs to make them. Check out this link:

Tesla Losing Money Each Time it Sells a Car

Like David, I also really like Tesla. Considering their loss per unit, there’s a great value in the product they offer. But I don’t know how a company could survive without making a profit, especially considering the massively established players that are already in the field (with huge staff, world class engineers, etc.) But I’ve been wrong about much more trivial things in the past..

For the record - GM (and other manufacturers) lose money on EV’s too, but they also sell profit rich gas guzzlers - pickups, SUV’s (etc.)

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
I don’t know if anyone has commented on the fact that Tesla sells cars for LESS than it costs to make them. Check out this link:

Tesla Losing Money Each Time it Sells a Car

Like David, I also really like Tesla. Considering their loss per unit, here’s a great value in the product they offer. But I don’t know how a company could survive without making a profit, especially considering the massively established players that are already in the field (with huge staff, world class engineers, etc.) But I’ve been wrong about much more trivial things in the past..

For the record - GM (and other manufacturers) lose money on EV’s too, but they also sell profit rich gas guzzlers - pickups, SUV’s (etc.)
Interesting article, thanks for posting. I didn't even realize that their Model S and X sales were on the decline... Did they shoot themselves in the foot by introducing the Model 3?? You can get most of the Model S' allure in the Model 3 for less than half the price.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #312
Elon Musk has allegedly said that he is considering moving Tesla out of California because of the shutdown...

IF he actually goes through with this, I will have a new found respect for him AND Tesla cars. I love it when people put their money where their mouth is... If he doesn't, I'll continue disliking him and them! Lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
Interesting article, thanks for posting. I didn't even realize that their Model S and X sales were on the decline... Did they shoot themselves in the foot by introducing the Model 3?? You can get most of the Model S' allure in the Model 3 for less than half the price.
If you think that a $30,000 car is cannibalizing a $100,000 car's sales you are not thinking very hard

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
If you think that a $30,000 car is cannibalizing a $100,000 car's sales you are not thinking very hard

Where did I say cannibalizing? No need to think hard, this is a very easy thing to understand... When people realize they were overpaying and have an option of similar for less, they take it. Sales of model S went down after the introduction of the 3. What part of this is so hard for YOU to understand?

Reactions: Chris12 and Porsche

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Where did I say cannibalizing? No need to think hard, this is a very easy thing to understand... When people realize they were overpaying and have an option of similar for less, they take it. Sales of model S went down after the introduction of the 3. What part of this is so hard for YOU to understand?
I’m sure they lost some sales to the Model 3 but they’re also losing sales because they haven’t upgraded the Model S/X in a long time. I think we’ll get a better idea of sales AFTER the S/X get updated.

The S is a larger vehicle with more luxury, quiet, and air suspension. It is definitely more luxurious and spacious than a Model 3 but the S doesn’t compete with the S-class Mercedes.

On the other hand, there are people with more money than I that wouldn’t buy a 3/Y since it is an “entry-level” car. I’m personally hoping to buy a Model Y Performance this year since I need a nice commuter car but want a little size, comfort, and performance. Then again I thought I’d have a Model 3 by now but life isn’t cooperating.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
I’m sure they lost some sales to the Model 3 but they’re also losing sales because they haven’t upgraded the Model S/X in a long time. I think we’ll get a better idea of sales AFTER the S/X get updated.

The S is a larger vehicle with more luxury, quiet, and air suspension. It is definitely more luxurious and spacious than a Model 3 but the S doesn’t compete with the S-class Mercedes.

On the other hand, there are people with more money than I that wouldn’t buy a 3/Y since it is an “entry-level” car. I’m personally hoping to buy a Model Y Performance this year since I need a nice commuter car but want a little size, comfort, and performance. Then again I thought I’d have a Model 3 by now but life isn’t cooperating.
And if you buy a Tesla, we'll still remain friends! Lol

Imho, some Model S buyers were buying (leasing) it as a novelty item, and were not necessarily $100k car buyers... The Model 3 was supposed to open up the Tesla market to a demographic that could not afford the Model S, not necessarily taking away from the S's sales.

When the novelty can be had for half the price, then even better. ;)

I hear ya about life not cooperating... I was supposed to have a Trackhawk and be able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds, by now... What I actually have is a 2 door Wrangler that goes 0-60 in 3 minutes.

Reactions: dgage

·
Registered
729 Posts
[QUOTE="DavidRam] I didn't even realize that their Model S and X sales were on the decline... Did they shoot themselves in the foot by introducing the Model 3?? You can get most of the Model S' allure in the Model 3 for less than half the price.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #318

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Guys who ride tesla? what do you think? how was it?
To me it’s the best car I’ve ever driven overall. It isn’t the quietest, didn’t feel the fastest, isn’t the most luxurious, doesn’t have the most features. With that said, it drove completely different, a lot less drama. Using a single pedal for normal driving is nice. Want to go, press the accelerator. Want to slow down or even stop, let your foot off the accelerator. The brake only needs to be used for emergencies. I drove an AWD Model 3, which takes 4.5 sec to get to 60, but it didn’t feel that fast. Part of that is it just goes. No hesitation (or noise) for the engine to spool up. No hesitation for the transmission to downshift. It just goes, almost like an appliance. But it is fun to drive and it is engaging.

I’m a car guy as I’ve always been interested in cars but haven’t had any fast sports cars, I’m more into sporty sedans. I’ve ridden in Corvettes and a Charger Hellcat and a Tesla Model S. I’m a consultant so I’ve driven a lot of cars over the years from Caddys to Infiniti’s, etc.

So as a car, I think it is one of the best cars on the road, at least as a commuter vehicle. And that is before you add the intangibles that other car manufacturers aren't even close to matching such as the ability to update the car with fixes and new features, which Tesla does all the time.

Are there downsides? Sure. A lot point to Musk and his antics but I don’t plan to have him driving with me and if I have to think about the politics of some of our leaders or corporate execs, I’d have a hard time finding anything to buy. Tesla has also removed some features from used vehicles sold to dealers (not private party sales that I’ve ever read), which I think is wrong but I’d expect that to be overturned in court. Tesla quality is given a hard time but it seems the number of people with issues over the last year or two are in line with what I know of the regular automakers. They all do well and they all have many vehicles built on a Friday apparently.

One other thing to think about is that an electric car is less complex so there is less maintenance to do and parts to break down. Some of the parts are more expensive like the battery but there is some impressive technology coming down the pike such as the recently announced Tesla solid state hybrid battery. Maintenance is primarily focused on tires. Electric vehicles with their immense torque will go through tires quicker. (As an aside, look around at the tire shops as I’ve noticed a lot more tire shops popping up and now I understand why.). Brake pads last longer due to regenerative braking. Coolant for the battery system needs to be changed every 2 years or so. And that is about it. So maintenance is a huge advantage for electric vehicles. Also, Total Cost of Ownership over 5 years also favors Tesla over just about every other (comparable) car on the market.

The best thing to do is drive the car for yourself. I’ve driven a ton of cars and I like the Tesla more than all of them and it isn’t even close. I think the next closest with what I’ve driven recently was an Infiniti Q70 I rented last year that was quiet, comfortable, and damn fast; but damn was that infotainment system a hot mess.

301 - 319 of 319 Posts