DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
I set the gains with HU @ 32...I can barley get past 28 when the speakers just SCREAM
Well, then that's your limit.

You can always use your ears to fine tune the gain, set volume to 32 and lower gain till the speakers sound normal again, this way you get the bigger usable volume range on your headunit.

This is the reason I always set gain by ear to my front speakers, and only use some meter for sub where needed.

· Registered
10,773 Posts
Thanks...turned it back just a touch.

Interesting...I set the gains with HU @ 32...I can barley get past 28 when the speakers just SCREAM
Then turn your gains down. What is the max volume of the head unit? Loud listening should use the majority of your head unit’s volume. If it’s 28 out of 40 and it “screams” then your gains should be lower

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
Then turn your gains down. What is the max volume of the head unit? Loud listening should use the majority of your head unit’s volume. If it’s 28 out of 40 and it “screams” then your gains should be lower
This isn’t always 100% true especially when you’re using different types of music sampling rates and bit depth and bitrates which changes the dynamic range and give you different volume listening levels especially when your into high res vinyl rips or dsd stuff.

I’m not trying to go to war with you just stating a point across on my zapco hdsp running thru usb I have a -55 to 0 I usually have gain maybe at 20% at most. I play my music level at -24 usually hitting clips at -22 for 16bit can usually do -18 to - 22 for 24/48 & -14 at 96khz and -4 to - 14 on 192khz depending on the a variety off factors. Then I have YouTube and bt and pandora I have to make sure all my numbers are set accordingly. When I’m playing bt I have my phone at 8-10 notches with 16 being max. but my volume can get down to 0 on my controller. And there is a ton of factors involved between the signal voltage outputting at the phone volume and the dsp volume but I also know my system in and out.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HU (Kenwood Marine) goes to max 35...checked it with the O-Scope and it went to 35 with a clean signal, so I set my gains @ 32 volume. My gains are set based off my O-Scope, so if I was to lower them just to get my HU to play @ 32 would be counter intuitive, no?

When I say the loudest I can get it is 28 and they scream, that's in my garage so it doesn't really count. On the road, with all the road noise, exhaust and wind, I don't know if 28 will get loud enough...so there is still 4 more notches available. With that said, if I go up to 32, I will be pushing way more wattage to my speakers than the manufacturer suggest amount...but it's verified clean so the odds of blowing my speakers should be low...right?

I can always play around with the xover, slops, and other options within the deck to fine tune I suppose?

· Banned
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
2,490 Posts
The HU (Kenwood Marine) goes to max 35...checked it with the O-Scope and it went to 35 with a clean signal, so I set my gains @ 32 volume. My gains are set based off my O-Scope, so if I was to lower them just to get my HU to play @ 32 would be counter intuitive, no?

When I say the loudest I can get it is 28 and they scream, that's in my garage so it doesn't really count. On the road, with all the road noise, exhaust and wind, I don't know if 28 will get loud enough...so there is still 4 more notches available. With that said, if I go up to 32, I will be pushing way more wattage to my speakers than the manufacturer suggest amount...but it's verified clean so the odds of blowing my speakers should be low...right?

I can always play around with the xover, slops, and other options within the deck to fine tune I suppose?
You understand that clipping blows speakers but so does heat and you don’t need to clip to build more heat and heat is generated thru amps volts wattage I’m saying them all to avoids these trolls.

That being said I used to never go past 28 on my kenwood I know what your talking about also but this also all depends on music formats and types of music as well as its recordings there is a lot of factors to play in. personally I never tested if it puts out full rca voltage at 28 or 32 as you say that’s why it’s changing the difference in the rca pre amp is it’s why I play lower and have head room just because it says it can do it doesn’t mean it doesn’t have to clip to do it. All about wording in my opinion.

but if your looking for a base line well use that then get clip indicators to have test then with your oscope make sure it’s accurate the. Use those when your want to have music play louder that night sounds lower than the other songs.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My thoughts were to set gains (clean signal max) @ 32 and never go beyond that...currently I don't think I'll go near 32 volume...it's quite loud @ 28...but a road test will determine that.

I listen to 90% rock (snars/drums/guitars) so the off chance of a heavy rap bass freq to blow will be low.

· Registered
33 Posts
I’m guessing it was 1.12khz as it says it on the scope display
Interesting though since if it was a 1KHz tone being played that his device is showing 1.112KHz. I know it is just off a bit, but the screenshot I posted was taken with just a little DSO nano when I was testing my home speakers, and it is dead nuts on 1KHz.

Does it read somewhat off when testing other tone values?

· Registered
725 Posts
i would not call this "clipping" per se, but it is distortion that could color and effect your sound. i would back the gain down from this level, you have reached the maximum capabilities of the amplifier here. give yourself some margin. I have seen similar effects on other amps. In the end you want output to resemble input exactly, just higher amplitude :)

the frequency math calculation is probably off because the software that calculates it is having trouble doing it accurately.... because of the waveform coloration that is occurring.

one could measure frequency with the cursors in the scope..... if that scope has that feature. so you don't have to rely on scope internal sw calculation of frequency.

Hey guys...setting gains on the 800.4 bridged/bike not running...I get some static before the wavelength "flattens" out...is that considered a clip?

Interesting though since if it was a 1KHz tone being played that his device is showing 1.112KHz. I know it is just off a bit, but the screenshot I posted was taken with just a little DSO nano when I was testing my home speakers, and it is dead nuts on 1KHz.

Does it read somewhat off when testing other tone values?

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after I set my gains with the oscilloscope, I am giving the speaker very clean 225wrms @ 30v with HU @ 32 volume. I cannot for the life of me get past 28 volume without things getting "harsh".

With that said, would it be better to check with the O-Scope what the voltage is when the deck is @ 28 volume and then dial back the amps gains to match that voltage...or should I just leave the gains and only go to 28 volume?

· Registered
372 Posts
No your gains are set correctly so don't touch them now , what you are describing is what happens to lesser quality drivers or amps when being pushed , their sound changes (harsher) as you get near the limits , to me this is a sign of how good a system is when the sound doesn't change when it's turned up loud.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No your gains are set correctly so don't touch them now , what you are describing is what happens to lesser quality drivers or amps when being pushed , their sound changes (harsher) as you get near the limits , to me this is a sign of how good a system is when the sound doesn't change when it's turned up loud.
The speakers are Ground Zero Gzcf & amp is a SounDigital 800.4evox bridged- rated for 150wrms...but guys on the Harley Forums swear the speaker love the 200-250 range so that's where I set them (225)...but I bet @ volume 28 it's going to be significantly less.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Thanks...turned it back just a touch.

Interesting...I set the gains with HU @ 32...I can barley get past 28 when the speakers just SCREAM
That's distortion, both what you see on the o-scope and what you hear (the scream).
Just curious, is that a class D amp? You mentioned a bike, so I'm guessing it is. And, what brand?
Nevermind, just read the whole thread.
Your speakers could also be complaining about all that power.

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's distortion, both what you see on the o-scope and what you hear (the scream).
Just curious, is that a class D amp? You mentioned a bike, so I'm guessing it is. And, what brand?
Nevermind, just read the whole thread.
Your speakers could also be complaining about all that power.
So what you are saying is that even tho volume 32 is not clipping, and is 30v (225w), my speakers are screaming help at volume 28, which is a substantially lower wattage. These Ground Zero Yellow Baskets have a good history of guys throwing 250wrms at them and they sound fantastic...I swear there is a defect with mine from the factory.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.