DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In your opinion is the 9887 too much for me. I have a jl 12 w6 v2 and I will have either alpine type x's or Polk mobile monitors in front doors. I will probably have something for rear fill too. I have a 600 watt pdx for the sub and will have another pdx for the other speakers. I have never had a active setup and I'm not sure that I will either. I just can't decide on a head unit. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No not really if you're into SQ. Having a good, configurable HU is key to any successful system. A Clarion DRZ or Denon DC-1 might be overkill for you, but I think the 9887 would be a good starting point.

·
Registered
671 Posts
No not really if you're into SQ. Having a good, configurable HU is key to any successful system. A Clarion DRZ or Denon DC-1 might be overkill for you, but I think the 9887 would be a good starting point.
Good advice here. Also, if you at ALL possibly interested in trying out the active thing with your system down the road, and you have the $$ for the 9887, I'd pick one up just so you have a HU that's capable of that option if you decide to try it down the road.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Go with the 9887, I wish I had gotten one from the get go. Down the road you will most likely want more options out of your headunit. You'll also probably wonder what this driver or that driver will sound like instead of what you have, an active deck with make it that much easier.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've got a 9887... and I'm not looking back. Very nice deck with a HUGE improvement over my previous setup (Sony 880 + XDP-210EQ) in SQ.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

My golf r32 comes with RCD500 and it sucks though I added in power subwoofer alpine one the first week I bought the car. Prior to r32, I had Subaru Legacy GT which cames with Mcintosh HU and 14 speakers. I am just addicted to good sound quality.

Having read the messages from different forum, I decide replacement of HU and front speakers and addition of an amp is a way to go.

In terms of look and feel I understand the 2-din hu is good to go, like alpine 505, however, more 2-din hu with good looking also comes with dvd which I do not want. What I want is just good sound quality. I did some research that Alpine 9887 is good. Any folks here have got 9887 and is that any good compared to Mcintosh? Also, I prefer more vocal, not heavy metal music. What speakers shall I put on?

Budget might be USD1K or 1.5K.

Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
If the 9887 has time alignment, then it's worth it because most HU's don't have the feature. Other than that, most HU's have similar features nowadays.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This Alpine seems to be quite good, but are you used to Alpine ?
I know that they are not so easy to tune (I had the 9855 or 9835).
I always loved Pioneer h u, but I have to admit Alpine hu sound really good if you know how to play with them !
For a starting setup, the 9887 is very, very good!!! (maybe overkill !!!)
You will not need any better hu for years!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have had alpine's in the past but i'm not totally sold on this one. I found some good deals on pioneer's but again i don't know which one is for me. I have a real hard time making decisions when it comes to my car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks man.

Also, how is the W404, a new model of Alpine. I heard that it has similar sound as 305. I look at it accidentially and think that it will fit my 2-din space well in my R32.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
warranty for $100? i like Crutchfield because they send you a wiring kit and an installation kit. Good service too IMO. That's a tough call for me.
Only reason why i wouldn't do it is it'll give me another excuse to buy anothe HU.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts