DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Chicago, and I was wondering if maybe places existed where I could rent space out for a weekend or something to get a LOT of work done myself. I was thinking about finding a storage unit or something, but I don't know how feasible that is. I'm more worried about doing this on the street where I live and causing audible harm to the public X-D

·
Registered
866 Posts
I know in my area (florida) some of the self storage places allow people to work out of their bays. A friend of mine did it for a few years while he was going to school (he used to install full time)

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
alot of the OFFICE/WAREHOUSE spaces allow it in areas..

On a side note, we used to have a 3 bay seperate are connected to me, i use to rent out to DIYERS per day, was fully equiped (table saw, routers and lifts, etc.), But our insurance pretty much made us stop because of liabilities..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alot of the OFFICE/WAREHOUSE spaces allow it in areas..

On a side note, we used to have a 3 bay seperate are connected to me, i use to rent out to DIYERS per day, was fully equiped (table saw, routers and lifts, etc.), But our insurance pretty much made us stop because of liabilities..
I thought they might. I guess I'll have to make a few calls around to see what kind of prices I can get. Do those places that rent out usually have a minimum time? It seems like monthly is probably the smallest timeframe.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you are a military vet, most bases have bays that you can reserve. Don't know if you are a vet or even close to a base....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Lol this was actually the idea I pitched at an entrepreneurship competition and took second place. Nothing really like it yet but would be sweet wouldn't it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately, I'm no vet or close to a base :(

It would be a great idea for a business for sure. The biggest hurdle I can see with it though is getting an insurance company on board for it. There are plenty of possible accidents that can arise with this, and while a waiver is great, there is still responsibility with that as well. A fellow coworker might actually have info on a place that would allow me to do exactly this which would be awesome.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Have you tried a high school auto shop? I have heard of this working for some people, maybe your old school?

·
Registered
120 Posts
find one of those 24 hour carwash places and do it at night :)

my old shop didn't have a covered bay, so we'd use the gas station next doors covered car wash bay in really crappy weather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
find one of those 24 hour carwash places and do it at night :)

my old shop didn't have a covered bay, so we'd use the gas station next doors covered car wash bay in really crappy weather.
LOL!

One of my favorite strategies when it's raining and I don't have a covered place to work. It's not like anyone else will be waiting on the car wash bay when it's raining. Of course, it helps if the outside temps are bearable...

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I've heard of places doing that for mechanical auto work, so you could change your oil or put brakes on/etc. But not looked for or seen any around here. I recall them being by the hour. That was back when the U wrench it auto yards started out around here, great places if you have the time. Once I bought brand new looking struts/springs off a car for $30, including other parts, and it took no time and no messing with the spring to slap them on a car I was working on. They still had the tags on them. Naturally also nice for installer parts such as extra fuses and factory wiring, factory parts like door panels and noise deadening, etc., on the cheap.

Some people are hardcore. I used to drive the expressway through downtown years ago and this one house the guy was always changing engines and transmissions right on the street in the middle of DT, in the middle of the winter even, guy had some serious ambition. I had to slow down to 30mph ramp to change e-ways in the middle of town and could look right at the place every day, if you ever done some of that you'll understand the guy deserves a medal for it. Plenty of snow there and it never seemed to stop the guy.

·
Registered
140 Posts
...That was back when the U wrench it auto yards started out around here... ...Naturally also nice for installer parts such as extra fuses and factory wiring, factory parts like door panels and noise deadening, etc., on the cheap...
I'd never thought of that.
Even if it's for factory fuses.
Get whatever you need and pull a few good fuses for just in case situations.
Good idea.
:2thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BINGO this is exactly what I do
That's not a bad idea. I've been doing most of this stuff in my work parking lot on the weekends. I would like a place I could plug in and do some real work though. In fact, I'm heading there today with 3 pairs of subs to do some testing. My system is all installed. I just really need to make it look proper now. It's a rat's nest back there :laugh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts