DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 3 (maybe 4) drivers that are very dear to me that all have rubbing VC's when you push on the cone. Some are worse than other (as far as friction and the point at which they begin to rub). Also, at least two of them seem to go through their entire stroke without rubbing if i push at a specific (off center) point on the cone so i'm guessing the VC has shifted. Honestly I've been trying to contact driver manufacturers to see if they have any recones for this driver or have a kit similar enough so i can experiment and make some frankenwoofers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
152 Posts
quit pushing the coils off center and get some low bass tones. play them just enuff to get some decent excursion and listen for coil rub. if you hear the coil rubbing come here for the next phase.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after testing with tones and music there is indeed rubbing and noise.

One of the woofers rubs almost immediately with very little input. At the lowest of volumes and little motion, it still sounds clean with my ear up to it but as soon as i turn it up even just a little and the cone begins to move more than a few mm's then it begins to distort.

The other two can actually get quite a bit louder before any noise sets in. one is moving roughly 11-12mm before noise (so a bit over half it's linear stroke) and the other is clean to about 7-8mm.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
What is the former material? I tried to find someone that would make a VC for one of my PX subs, but I eventually gave up. Richard So (adspeakers) tried to have some made also, but they didn't meet specs. Even if you can find the right size, the chances that it will be anywhere near the original specs seem to be slim. :( If it's a popular driver, there are lots of places that stock old stock or remanufactured VCs. I would also contact FI. I think they will sometimes do custom VC work, but I have no idea how much they would charge.

I always thought if you were VERY careful, you might be able to replace the spider and surround on the existing VC, but you would need to be exceedingly careful. At least your VC is probably fine so it might work.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea drivers are discontinued. I never expected to have drivers that measured the same (that's if i were to rebuild them with other parts) but imo it's the motor that outshines the soft parts in this driver. we'll see, I might take apart the one that's the worst off to see what the former looks like and reassemble. before that tho i might try to moisten the spider and play some 30hz tones thru it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If it's an aluminum former, I would think you could put some solvent on the spider glue to get it to come off cleanly. I don't know what solvent would do to kapton former though. A surround would also come off metal cone much easier too. Aligning the new coil would be a ***** too, but anything could be done with time and effort.

You know, every rubbing driver I've had was caused by the spider being off. Maybe you wouldn't even need to mess with the surround. If you can get to the spider, pull it loose and see if you can reglue it in the proper alignment. What are the drivers? Obviously this is much easier with a sub than a tiny mid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.