DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

what's the exact model of this guys?
a friend of mine is actually selling me this midbass for $40...
any reviews? t/s parameters would be nice too :)

and also what tweets will these be best paired with?

thanks
margel

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Are those alpine DD Drive mids?

·
Registered
267 Posts
No, they suck.

j/k, I say listen to them. They are a friend's after all. Then you'll know for sure. Model may be posted on them somewhere. $40, worth rollin the dice

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jimbno1
yup those were alpine dddrive mids

@releasedtruth
yeah he's a friend... sad thing is i can't audition it, cause he's just too far from me right now...

did some research and it's the "F17C" with neo magnets... but i still need some t/s parameters and some good reviews that i know you guys can offer :D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I remember listening to some Alpine DD Drive speakers on sound boards years ago. I was really impressed. But I am not sure which version they were. The DD Drive have a pretty good reputation so I would say to go for it. I believe they were better known for midrange than midbass so playing with the highpass crossover frequency and using them with a sub that has extended response is probably a good idea. Might try searching for DD Drive or DDDrive to find more information.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@jimbno1

thanks man! that's what i'm looking for exactly right now! i'm planning to do a 2 way active set-up with this... do you know what brand/model i can compare these "F17C" midbass... i've searched all bout dddrives but, i'm afraid they're all bs marketing... so i wanna know some inputs from you guys to save me some time and gas money auditioning these set...

btw, what tweets will these dddrives love to be paired with? what would be an ideal cutoff? i think i'm going bandpass mid these drivers....
TIA!

·
Registered
45 Posts
For $40 getting their flagship speaker? You should go for it. Even if you think most of the initial retail cost was... how did you put it? BS marketing, at $40 you've eliminated that, plus the packaging cost, etc. I say go for it, it's like getting MB Quart Q's for $40, whatever anyone else may say about them it's still at the end of the day probably pretty good, and who knows, may end up being really good. And only $40!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
If you weren't in the Philippines I would suggest the LPG or Morel tweeters I have been trying to sell. Self interest on my part but I think they would be a nice pairing. Probably the Morels, the LPGs might be a bit bright. But shipping would be pretty expensive I would think.

I do have a suggestion though. Check the hot deals section there are vifa tweeters being blown out on ebay. Here is an example
M &K D26NC-55-06 6 Ohms TWEETERS PAIR - eBay (item 320348325092 end time Mar-12-09 07:17:35 PDT)
I do not know if this guy ships outside of the US but you could contact him and find out. I bought a pair for $11 including shipping, just to putz around with. Check out Zaph audio Zaph|Audio The tweeter tested well and has low distortion. And it has a small flange to boot which will make installation easier.

As for the mid I believe they were Vifa based drivers, coated paper I think. When I heard them they were very smooth, a little dark sounding. More towards the Morel or Dynaudio end of the sound spectum than a brighter speaker like Focal or Seas. I really thought they sounded better than the Boston Pros and MB Quarts that were also on the sound board at the time. And the DDs cost hundreds less.

If you want to spend a lot more money, then a Morel. Dynaudio, or Scanspeak tweeter would likely be a great match also.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
By the way the cutoff would be mostly driven by the tweeters you choose. Also on or off axxis for the mid, many other factors. I forget the math for determining where a 6.5 starts beaming but you can search here or google beaming to find out.

For instance if you were using the LPGs I would cross them no lower than 3KHz. 4KHz would be better. But if your mids are off axis you could get into beaming issues at those freqs. If you used a Scanspeak 2904/6000 for instance then you could cross at 2.5KHz or lower. But you spend 4 times the $$ for the Scans. It is all a trade off.

But bottom line is buy those DD mids immediately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@jimbno1

thanks man! you're really a big help to me on this one!
you are one of the reasons why i love lurkering this forum!

and about those vifa and LPG tweets, the first time i've listened to them, i deeply fall in love with them! (love at first sight eh?) lol
i also wish someone could bring vifa and LPG tweets in here!...
but i'm tryin to cantact some relatives/friends over there, if they can buy me and ship some tweets here in the Philippines... i'll probably try those D26, XT25, LPG, some TB etc...

anyways thanks jimbno1 and also to everyone! i'll get em dddrives this weekend!

·
Human (not a robot)
2,443 Posts
I had the cheap version and liked them. My install sucked so they didn't go low enough for me. NOT A FAULT OF THE DRIVER. I would jump on that for $40

1 - 13 of 13 Posts