DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I built this to spec for the subs I have, is this legit? Will it work?
Are there downsides to the unorthodox shape?

Interior volumes would be technically ideal but the shape is not a typical rectangular "box" enclosure.

Pic related, its what I want to build, obviously not to scale, obviously not an artist.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
898 Posts
There is no issues. It can be any shape you want it to be.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
if you ran the ports out the front, where the subs are, you'd be better off...

Having the ports close to the subs couples output.. but you obviously couldn't use a proper port in the dept you "show" so you'd either have to turn them 90, or put them on a different serface...

should work fine otherwise..

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
You have enough depth for you ports in that shallow area? What are you putting it in?
same concern here. no way you are gonna get ports to work like that is they are straight. if you got a 90° elbow to turn the port or if you made a L-slot port. it could work.

just remember you port volume and speaker volume take AWAY from box volume. so no matter what port you use, subtract it from your box

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might or might not go with the ports.

I currently have a giant box setting at the bottom of my trunk with 2 15's in it.
The shallow area I depicted would fill a spot in my trunk where the spare tire used to be. It looks something like this:

It's about 12 inches tall.
Above the spare tire space is the rear deck.
I was considering the ports to port through the rear deck into the cabin.

Instead of the box taking up valuable trunk floor space, I would utilize the "air space" for the enclosure. It alone is way too small but using it and the hang-over part, I could still build it to spec.
See attachment(still not to scale).

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
That would be perfectly fine as a sealed enclosure. You could also port it out the face of the box (the same side the subs are on) - that would give you plenty of room for port depth.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I see what your trying to do.... Your trying not to use up all your trunk space,lol. But if your getting 15's (which most require atleast 2cu ft each in ported enclosures) why not just go ahead and take up all your the space and make it flush with the top part of the trunk (the 12" void on the top).

I took it all the way to the back in the picture, but you can leave 6" enought space for the subs to move and the ports to move air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I see what your trying to do.... Your trying not to use up all your trunk space,lol. But if your getting 15's (which most require atleast 2cu ft each in ported enclosures) why not just go ahead and take up all your the space and make it flush with the top part of the trunk (the 12" void).
I was just going to suggest the same thing. I think it would make for a nice clean look. It would also be easier to build.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see what your trying to do.... Your trying not to use up all your trunk space,lol. But if your getting 15's (which most require atleast 2cu ft each in ported enclosures) why not just go ahead and take up all your the space and make it flush with the top part of the trunk (the 12" void).
LoL

Because to that 12" space from the bumper is about 2 feet away.

See attached pics(still obviously not an artist).
Current vs. Projected

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I took it all the way to the back in the picture, but you can leave 6" enought space for the subs to move and the ports to move air.
I was considering that too, actually.

What do I about stuff I put in my trunk that could damage the subs to stop that from happening?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
biuld the top peice right to the edge of the trunk and then route slots in it about 1" apart. this will not impede the subs function, but will keep stuff from falling into the area where the subs are.

you can also use a simple cargo net from the edge of the box to the edge of the trunk.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, I'm going to stick with the original plan.
It's an 11" space and they are 15's so they will sit pretty high in the trunk.
Underneath the subs will be enclosure space to the trunk floor. Same behind to the backseat.
I'll ditch the ports.

Thanks for the help, fellas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts