DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends,

My installer made this enclosure for me out of 18mm (roughly 0.7inch) MDF but he trimmed the area that the sub fits by 0.6mm and the end result in that area (the center of the front wall,please view photos) is 12mm so roughly 0.5inch.

would it be a problem for it to be 0.5inch just in that area? will it cause any undersirable results?
the subwoofer btw is a DLS Nordica 10i to be powered off a Alpine pdx v9 with 500rms.

Attachments

·
Registered
341 Posts
He should have made the motor board at lest 1.5” thick. That sub will pound it’s self out in no time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
No need to double baffle, but i am not sure what you are refering to as being done wrong. Does the sub recess into that opening? If so and it sits flat on the baffle you are fine.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
No need to double baffle, but i am not sure what you are refering to as being done wrong. Does the sub recess into that opening? If so and it sits flat on the baffle you are fine.
He's worried about mounting the subwoofer to a 0.5" piece of MDF, since about 0.25" was shaved off to help the sub sit flush. And you are right, it's not a problem. Looking at the picture of that box, if built with 0.75" MDF, it is plenty sturdy that mounting the sub to the slightly thinner part of MDF won't be an issue.

Theslaking makes a good point though. If you can install threaded inserts into the 0.5" portion, then you'll retain its structural integrity even if you remove the sub several times. It's not necessary if you don't ever remove the sub from the box, but if you can install good inserts accurately, then it does help ensure the box will retain it's integrity over time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If it’s going to be in a car. You have to be concerned with humidity. MDF is like a sponge and will start to loosen up . The glue and saw dust will start to come apart , unless he paints or stains the mdf and seals it 100% . And that will be very difficult to do
That’s way us speaker builders will mix water and wood glue and cover 100% of the wood before it’s painted . I live in Florida and have used mdf for over 30 plus years. Also if that driver has any high output and putts out any heavy amounts of pressure. It will start to break apart. First place will be where the mdf has been made thinner . That’s the weakest spot

·
Registered
767 Posts
If it’s going to be in a car. You have to be concerned with humidity. MDF is like a sponge and will start to loosen up . The glue and saw dust will start to come apart , unless he paints or stains the mdf and seals it 100% . And that will be very difficult to do
That’s way us speaker builders will mix water and wood glue and cover 100% of the wood before it’s painted . I live in Florida and have used mdf for over 30 plus years. Also if that driver has any high output and putts out any heavy amounts of pressure. It will start to break apart. First place will be where the mdf has been made thinner . That’s the weakest spot

Depends on where one lives. Here in Cali, our humidity is typically like 8-15% in the Summer. LOVE our dry air, for so many reasons besides MDF subwoofer enclosures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts