DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Both amps are made by Maxxsonics. While I haven't heard either companies newest products, neither is what they used to be. The parent company also has Autotek and Crunch. I would guess that many parts are shared between all 4 companies especially in the lower priced lines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Newer MB quart and hifonics stuff is both made by the same company, maxxsonics.

What subs are you planning to power with the amp?

EDIT: beat me to it!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I ordered the ONX1.1500D on a black Friday sale for like $140 and then returned it after having read its manual without opening the box. I don't like it that all of new maxxsonics mono amplifiers do no sum their inputs. Since a lot of stereo decks do not necessarily have a mono signal on their sub RCA outs, you need to use a Y-splitter. Besides the fact that you lose the bass signal of one of the channels if they're not recorded the same, I'd personally be suspicious of a company that makes you spend several bucks on a Y-splitter so that IT can has a few pennies on its preamp section.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The original price on the MB Quart amp was $640. For that price it seems like it would have better components than the Hifonics stuff.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I ordered the ONX1.1500D on a black Friday sale for like $140 and then returned it after having read its manual without opening the box. I don't like it that all of new maxxsonics mono amplifiers do no sum their inputs. Since a lot of stereo decks do not necessarily have a mono signal on their sub RCA outs, you need to use a Y-splitter. Besides the fact that you lose the bass signal of one of the channels if they're not recorded the same, I'd personally be suspicious of a company that makes you spend several bucks on a Y-splitter so that IT can has a few pennies on its preamp section.
so what you're saying is the amp has L and R but only uses one of them? or that you when you hook up left and right it maintains stereo usage? because both are literally impossible with a MONO block amplifier. why you would use a y splitter is beyond me. Not sure what manual you read but that doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
so what you're saying is the amp has L and R but only uses one of them? or that you when you hook up left and right it maintains stereo usage? because both are literally impossible with a MONO block amplifier. why you would use a y splitter is beyond me. Not sure what manual you read but that doesn't make much sense to me.
Go take a look at the MB Quart ONX1 manual (As well as MB Quart REF, FX, Q-series, Hifonics, etc). It's a mono block amplifier that has (like most other mono amplifiers) two RCA plugs, left and right. However, the manual goes into great lengths to say that the signal on BOTH connections should be mono. If it's not, then you should take the left one, split it with the Y splitter and then plug into the amplifier's L and R connections. Most other amplifiers do not require you to do this because they sum left and right signal. Not only you have to buy a Y-splitter to use this amplifier with most stereos, you may also take a hit in SQ if it happens that the bass content on the left and right is not merely a copy of each other. In my view, this alone makes MB Quart mono blocks lower grade amplifiers. I would look into something else. Soundstream, Kenwood, PPI, etc.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The original price on the MB Quart amp was $640. For that price it seems like it would have better components than the Hifonics stuff.

Not sure where Sonic got that $640 list price cause even Fry's Electronics sells that amp and only sells it for $139. I find it very hard to believe that that amp has ever been sold anywhere near that $640 price.

I would look into the new PAD1000 from Polk if you want that kind of power. FWIW I am running 1 MM1040 off of the sub channel of an old Soundstream 405 which is rated at 200 watts @2ohms and it gets very loud.

Looked at other online retailers and most list that $640+ for MSRP but none sell them higher then $230 and this one even states normal price is $229 on sale for $149. Makes me think that this amp was a $230 amp before the sales.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_25331_MB_Quart_ONX11000D.aspx

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Not sure where Sonic got that $640 list price cause even Fry's Electronics sells that amp and only sells it for $139. I find it very hard to believe that that amp has ever been sold anywhere near that $640 price.

I would look into the new PAD1000 from Polk if you want that kind of power. FWIW I am running 1 MM1040 off of the sub channel of an old Soundstream 405 which is rated at 200 watts @2ohms and it gets very loud.

Looked at other online retailers and most list that $640+ for MSRP but none sell them higher then $230 and this one even states normal price is $229 on sale for $149. Makes me think that this amp was a $230 amp before the sales.

MB Quart ONX1.1000D Class D Amplifiers at Onlinecarstereo.com
I am also looking at buying the pad1000 but the mb quart looked like a steal. I contacted MB Quart/Maxxsonics and they said it is $640. These low priced ones are coming from Germany either as knock offs or clearance shelves of what used to be the real MB Quart. I read that most likely they are the left over stock of the old MB Quart. why would a high priced amp only have a mono signal for the left and right channels? Maybe some one misread the manual or the language used was misleading. I'm sure either way wouldn't make a difference. For your highs it would. but subs?If I'm wrong please enlighten me.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
why would a high priced amp only have a mono signal for the left and right channels?
MB Quart is not a high priced brand. Their gear available here in the USA (ONX, Q, etc) costs about the same or less than competing products.

Maybe some one misread the manual or the language used was misleading. I'm sure either way wouldn't make a difference. If I'm wrong please enlighten me.
Like I said, the manuals that I read correspond to MB Quart REF, Q, and ONX series. Here is the ONX manual. Scroll to the bottom of page 7

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/mbquart/pdfs/MBQuartOnyxAmplifierManual2010.pdf

Also all or most Hifonics amplifiers have the same issue. Obviously they share parts, as they come from the same company. This seems like a recent change. For example, the manual of the older and now discontinued DSC series (replaced with ONX) does not say anything on this issue. Will this make a big difference? Probably not. But those searching for perfection, should probably skip it.

The way I see it, in the quest for reducing costs, they decided to cut the cost in the area that most people don't understand/care about, and so most won't complain. I'd look into Soundstream, Boston Acoustics, or PPI amplifiers instead.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MB Quart is not a high priced brand. Their gear available here in the USA (ONX, Q, etc) costs about the same or less than competing products.

Like I said, the manuals that I read correspond to MB Quart REF, Q, and ONX series. Here is the ONX manual. Scroll to the bottom of page 7

http://www.maxxsonics.net/manuals/mbquart/pdfs/MBQuartOnyxAmplifierManual2010.pdf

Also all or most Hifonics amplifiers have the same issue. Obviously they share parts, as they come from the same company. This seems like a recent change. For example, the manual of the older and now discontinued DSC series (replaced with ONX) does not say anything on this issue. Will this make a big difference? Probably not. But those searching for perfection, should probably skip it.

The way I see it, in the quest for reducing costs, they decided to cut the cost in the area that most people don't understand/care about, and so most won't complain. I'd look into Soundstream, Boston Acoustics, or PPI amplifiers instead.
I know Boston and PPI is good stuff but MB Quart is a lot more expensive than Soundstream. Please excuse me for using the cost factor but usually that says a lot. Go to this link, scroll to the bottom and play the video. I don't know how to tell a good amp by looking at the inside but give me your thoughts. MB Quart Car Audio -- Onyx Amplifiers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts