DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed no sound coming from the tweeter, and I took the door apart and started inspecting. Take a look at this, does this mean I need to replace the entire crossover?

·
ROCKY TOP
1,750 Posts
Definately does not look good..have u tested the tweeter without xover? Just get rid of those xover’s and get a dsp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Swap channels on the crossover and see if the tweeter plays. And gumbeelee us right... get a dsp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Swap channels on the crossover and see if the tweeter plays. And gumbeelee us right... get a dsp.
I wired it up directly to another audio source and the tweeter is working fine. The other channel going to the 6.5" speaker also works. I'm a newbie here, what's a DSP? Would I have to replace the crossover in the other door as well with a DSP? These wires are coming from an amplifier so it's already powered.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If the tweeter works when off the crossover, then yes the tweeter section of the crossover is damaged. You could replace the components on the tweeter side, replace the entire crossover, or go active with a digital signal processor (dsp) running before your amplifier. The dsp would provide crossover, equalizer, and time alignment duties before the amplifier

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the tweeter works when off the crossover, then yes the tweeter section of the crossover is damaged. You could replace the components on the tweeter side, replace the entire crossover, or go active with a digital signal processor (dsp) running before your amplifier. The dsp would provide crossover, equalizer, and time alignment duties before the amplifier
Thank you, that was helpful. I don't think I want to take on that task of all that rewiring. In this case, it'll be a lot simpler to just replace the crossover. Any recommendations? If I did replace the damaged crossover with a new one, should I replace the working one in the other door as well?

·
Registered
391 Posts
No need to replace the other crossover if it's working correctly. I would try to figure out what in the crossover is damaged before replacing though. If your amplifier has a fault it's just going to blow the the next crossover

Reactions: Deepak

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No need to replace the other crossover if it's working correctly. I would try to figure out what in the crossover is damaged before replacing though. If your amplifier has a fault it's just going to blow the the next crossover
How would you determine what happened to the crossover? I can take it but not sure how to figure out what went wrong with it. I'd assume that if it was something with the amp, that the other crossover would have an issue as well - right?

If you were going to replace this crossover, what would you replace it with? I'm ok with used stuff...was looking at this --> Crossover on Ebay , but not sure if I need to look at anything specific to make sure it'll work properly - thoughts?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well i could be just one bad amp channel. You have it wired with separate channels powering the woofer and tweeter of that component set. If replacing the crossover i would get the same model. I would start looking for any components on the crossover board with signs of damage.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Looks like it got a little water on it. Could just be the terminal is corroded unless you see damage on the board inside. I doubt a tweeter would handle enough power to cause heat damage there. Sure it could be an amp issue, test that. If its the terminal not sure how to repair other than cleaning it. Maybe acid and qtip or something not sure, google it maybe. Solder a wire inside before the terminal, etc.

Personally I like passive xovers for tweets especially. If you have good ones they can work really well, its one less amp and settings to mess with, one less set of wires in the car, I rather run midbass with an extra set of wires/amp. But if you want active go for it, or maybe you need it for tuning that is fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts