DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, before you shoot me down, I am not an installer and certainly not an enclosure builder, so I got a quote from a reputable local shop. Certainly I want them to make a profit, but this quote really floored me. Tell me what you think please.

Car is a 2000 Sebring Convertible

1. Big 3 upgrade (cost unknown)
2. digital voltmeter on dash $39
3. 4 Arc Audio 12d4 subs $219.00 each
4. 4x12 enclosure fiberglass painted to match car
5. finished trunk as well
6. 2 additional Arc ks300.2 amps $369.00 each
7. Focal Poluglass 6.5 components $339.00
8.Arc Line Driver $109
9. Alpine 9886 Cd $329
10. Kinetic Power Cell Hc2000 $319

Labor, wire, etc?

My quote was $4774 plus tax. Now I added up the equipment and it comes to $2749 so that's $2025 for install, box build, wire, and install. i realize labor is probably $60 an hour or close, so does this seem correct. Please don't tell me to try it myself, as thre is NO WAY I could do it. Thanks

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Yeah, that's about right if you ask me. Shops out here START at $60/hr for labor and go up from there. I've heard of some people being quoted as high as $100/hr! And almost any shop will charge you quite a bit when fiberglass work is involved.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ya the fiberglass is what is going to kill ya. But that really is not to bad for a quality install with all that gear it is a heafty amount of work and power wire is not cheap either so depending on how much your going to need that can easily add a couple hundred to to the parts side and take that off the install and suddenly its not quite as bad.

·
Registered
675 Posts
yeah thats expensive but not off the mark. The FG labor is the KILLER!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
there are a lot of materials involved too.

I'd guess that $500 of that quote is supplies, considering fiberglass supplies, body filler, wires, harnesses are not cheap.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Add to that quote the fact you want to fiberglass prepped and painted to match the exterior of the car. That involves a TON of work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, you've made my day. I am having them do a detailed build log so i will post it for you to see. I can't wait!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sweet can't wait to see it and I am sure you will be extremely happy in the end. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
675 Posts
oh yeah, once you get into finishing the FG for paint...
My FG doors I'm building, I have 200Hrs+ and they still aren't ready for paint if that helps put it into perspective...subtract 100hrs for me being not super FG pro:D...it adds up quick none the less

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Not at all. That's a lot of equipment and the labor for a custom box and trunk build in FG painted to match = lots of time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was expecting an actual quote from someone. :(

"To Be or not to be, That is the question" :D

Seriously, I am so pumped. I can't wait to get started! My one concern is the strong front stage, so I might have to add something up there to keep up. Needless to say cabin gain goes bye bye with the top down on the highway. I will have a total of 3 ks300.2 amps with one running only the Focal door speakers to get them moving and the other two on the subs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Arthurk;726735 Seriously said:
I saw this thread and had to comment on it. I had soundsational design and install a system for me 5 years ago when I lived in Indianapolis. They did an excellent job on the installation and recommended some brands that worked out really well for me. I had never heard of focal before I visited them, and that is the only door speaker I will use now. If bryan is still there, he and the staff should do a great job for you. Make sure that you post some photos when your system is finished.
-Jacob :)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I saw this thread and had to comment on it. I had soundsational design and install a system for me 5 years ago when I lived in Indianapolis. They did an excellent job on the installation and recommended some brands that worked out really well for me. I had never heard of focal before I visited them, and that is the only door speaker I will use now. If bryan is still there, he and the staff should do a great job for you. Make sure that you post some photos when your system is finished.
-Jacob :)
5 years ago Soundsational had a talented staff. There are reasons those guys went off to start their own shop, and they're doing well on their own. Brian is a good salesman but there's nobody there qualified to do quality installations anymore.
Hopefully that's not where the OP is getting his work done. If it is, then fingers are crossed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
5 years ago Soundsational had a talented staff. There are reasons those guys went off to start their own shop, and they're doing well on their own. Brian is a good salesman but there's nobody there qualified to do quality installations anymore.
Hopefully that's not where the OP is getting his work done. If it is, then fingers are crossed.
Actually, I just called Bryan today about trying to see if they can get permission to send me some Focal speakers (as there is no dealer in my area). Two of the guys that put my system in are still at the store (Bryan and Jason). It looks like they are still doing great work if you check out there website. I think your probably getting some bad info from a competitor.

-Peace,
J.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah, they have mad skills with fiberglass, are the nicest guys in the world, totally honest, let you ask a million questions and give good answers. They have been in business for many years while other shops have came and went. Total props for those guys! They also don't try and shove the most expensive stuff down your throat!!

·
142 fastest gun in town
483 Posts
Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts