DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Infinity Kappa 63.7i as front and Infinity Reference 9613i as rear powered with JBL CS60.4
I recently got Infinity KAPPA 120.3se 12" sub and a pair of small tweeters.
I connected front and tweeters together directly to Alpine CDA-9887 and bridged the ap to power the sub and the rear speakers
the rear becomes better but not balanced as before especially with low sound
I didn't perform Imprint tuning yet.

first I have a concern about connecting the front which is 2 ohm with 4 oh tweeters
second is connecting front directly to the HU is good solution?

Generally I need your comments.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
If you don't play it loud you might run tweeters on a HU, but don't expect much else. You need an amp on all of them really, sub amps are so cheap just pick one up used if you have to. HU is bridged so not good to run under 4 ohms/ch but you might get away with tweeters paralleled since they only play high frequency that take less power. Odds are if you run lower ohms full range it will shut off under hard use or smoke.

If you have to run it that way, then amp the fronts and sub, put only the rears on the HU and HP them if you can...and keep the level turned down on them so they don't distort. If you want you can try the tweeters on the HU too, but I'd run them with the fronts on the amp just use a resistor to tone them down if you need to.

If you want to try it, you can run all four speakers (& tweeters likely) on the amp fronts at 2 ohms and the sub on rear of amp. Your fronts should sound louder because they are closer to you, but it depends on how the rears are mounted maybe fronts too. And you will have no fading front to rear.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How can I run the 4 speakers ans the tweeters on 2 channels? what is the total ohm?

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
How can I run the 4 speakers ans the tweeters on 2 channels? what is the total ohm?
Your 4ch should be able to run 2 ohms a channel not bridged. If you have 4 ohm speakers parallel the front/rear for 2 ohms on fronts of amp. Adding the tweeters parallel likely will not be a big deal. You can put a resistor on the rears or whatever ones you want to cut back the power to, I used to do that years back crude but it works fine and will raise the load a little. Bridge the rear to the sub at 4ohm I assume, all channels of the amp will be at 2 ohms that way. If the tweeters sound funny or something, take them off, but I've run a 2ch like that many times.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after some adjustment I notice distortion in tweeters I can't not describe but it appears when fade is balanced and disappears when fade is to front.

do you know why?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
after some adjustment I notice distortion in tweeters I can't not describe but it appears when fade is balanced and disappears when fade is to front.

do you know why?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I have Infinity Kappa 63.7i as front and Infinity Reference 9613i as rear powered with JBL CS60.4
I recently got Infinity KAPPA 120.3se 12" sub and a pair of small tweeters.
I connected front and tweeters together directly to Alpine CDA-9887 and bridged the ap to power the sub and the rear speakers
the rear becomes better but not balanced as before especially with low sound
I didn't perform Imprint tuning yet.

first I have a concern about connecting the front which is 2 ohm with 4 oh tweeters
second is connecting front directly to the HU is good solution?

Generally I need your comments.
First off, you want to ditch the extra tweeters, they aren't helping you at ALL... If you can't get enough highs out of a Kappa set, something is seriously wrong.. Plus, there is no good way of installing them to make them sound decent (electrically wise)... just take them out till your problems are sorted..

You would also be FAR better off, using the amp to power the FRONT speaker and the sub, rather than the REAR speakers and the sub...

Ever been to a concert..? When you went, did you face the back the whole time? I would guess not, so WHY would you amp the rear speakers??

So, I personally would re-wire so the fronts are amped on ch1-2 of the amp, bridge 3-4 to the sub and run the rear speakers from the HU... FOR NOW...

Get things sounding correct FIRST, then play with add on tweeters and other crap you don't need..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First off, you want to ditch the extra tweeters, they aren't helping you at ALL... If you can't get enough highs out of a Kappa set, something is seriously wrong.. Plus, there is no good way of installing them to make them sound decent (electrically wise)... just take them out till your problems are sorted..

You would also be FAR better off, using the amp to power the FRONT speaker and the sub, rather than the REAR speakers and the sub...

Ever been to a concert..? When you went, did you face the back the whole time? I would guess not, so WHY would you amp the rear speakers??

So, I personally would re-wire so the fronts are amped on ch1-2 of the amp, bridge 3-4 to the sub and run the rear speakers from the HU... FOR NOW...

Get things sounding correct FIRST, then play with add on tweeters and other crap you don't need..
I powered the rear with amp , not the front because the rear are 100 RMS while the front is 75 , I thought that the HU will be very weak for the rear.
but I agree powering the front is so much better.

I added the tweeters because I wanted the HF to come from a higher level rather than the speaker door level.

Any Way I ordered , a pair of Kappa tweeters 2 ohm too, I think this will solve the wiring issue.

But is Kappa 2 ohm or as Infinity claims True-Four ohm?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts