DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

Iso Sub Question/Input Needed

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Cancerkazoo 
#1 ·
Hey peeps,

I'm revamping my hatch layout on my car and I don't have room to run both of my 12" PPI Art SQ's and still have any space. Curious to get input on whether running them clamshell iso would be of any benefit at all versus just running a single one? Looking for SQ first, with the ability to crank it up on occasion, but I'm not a basshead by any means (very little rap, r&b, etc, in my music library, predominately rock, metal, some country, and some 80's keyboard-y stuff.)

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

-Ben

#2 ·
Unless you need an enclosure half the volume of that required for a single driver, I don't see the point in running isobaric. It would require twice the power compared to a single driver due to the 3db loss in efficiency, without any increase in acoustic output.

If you have room for one driver in an appropriate enclosure, then just run one driver.

There aren't really any benefits to isobaric other than the reduction in required enclosure volume. It's claimed the clamshell isobaric reduces distortion, but according to this article that isn't necessarily the case.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies so far peeps!

Stills, on the "hearing is believing comment" what did you notice as far as a difference?

As some background, what I'm looking for is the cleanest, most musical sub-stage I can get w/the space I have. Right now, I can fit about a 2 cube box in the space I have. Running the t/s specs in Linear Term ported seems to be slightly better than sealed for that space right now, but I was curious as to the possibility of running 2 of the subs (I already have them both) iso, if I would gain sq with it.

Any more input from anyone?

-Ben

#6 ·
One of the cleanest hardest hitting systems I ever heard was an isobaric. Mind you this was several years ago with a guy I worked with. He had 6 solobaric 10's in a iso set up. This by no means was a sq system, but his low end sounded incredible. I was very clean and musical, but hit very,very hard. I have heard one or two other iso set ups and couple and each time I heard them I was impressed. The smaller box being a side benefit.

#7 ·
ISO- subs will handle twice the rated power of one, half box size needed

cons- cost more for 2 subs.

IMHO. Iso is excellent, you will not blow a sub, as they push pull. One of the best setups i every did in 90's was a pair of Boston Pro 12LF's in ISO.

:thumbsup:

#8 · (Edited)
Since it sounds like you already have them, go ISO. Also if your amp will handle the load in parallel you will incur no loss in SPL over 1 sub off the same amp.

I've run ISO twice. once a single ISO pair of 8s in a dash/center console, and once in a hatch back with 8 ISO pairs (or 16) 8s.

Both sounded great. Although the in dash one didn't have a ton of output, it added some bottom end when I had to pull my 2 18s out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.