DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from the pics, I have a slight issue with my 4" Precision Port's inner flare actually touching the edge of my Alpine SWR-1243D' magnet. Everything I have read says to keep the inner port opening at least one port diameter away from any inside surface, including the driver.

The thing is, in order to get 4" away from the driver, I'd have to shorten my port about 6", which would take my tune from about 27.5 up to 35hz or so. That isn't exactly a deal-breaker, but I just want to know whether if I left the port as long as it is, what issues if any I might encounter due to its proximity to the back of the driver.

I would of course secure the port's flare to the driver, so there would be no issue with rattling at that intersection. Any other issues *besides* the obvious potential for rattling?

Thanks in advance. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I think you will be fine. you really only want your port opening 1 diameter length away from any side. from the looks of your design, the magnet shouldn't interfere.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you will be fine. you really only want your port opening 1 diameter length away from any side. from the looks of your design, the magnet shouldn't interfere.
Out of curiosity, what happens if the port is too close to an inside wall? :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'd ball up some butyl tape and wedge it between the magnet and the flare to ensure you don't hear it buzzing, aside from that I see no problems.

The port spacing is primarily for unobstructed air flow, although I don't you would hear any difference with it against the floor or back wall.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Out of curiosity, what happens if the port is too close to an inside wall? :)
within reason, most than likely nothing. I mean if it was a 6" diameter port and it was 5" from the wall, you would likely hear nothing different. if it was 2" from the wall, it will restrict airflow and the port will start acting like a smaller diameter port, thus changing the tuning freq.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, just working out the bracing and I'll be able to close it up and start a thumpin. :)

I actually am going to attach the port lip edge to the magnet with some construction adhesive. No buzzin there. :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
then how will you take the woofer out if it needs servicing without damaging the port?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Thanks all, just working out the bracing and I'll be able to close it up and start a thumpin. :)

I actually am going to attach the port lip edge to the magnet with some construction adhesive. No buzzin there. :)
why not make a brace that incorporates the end of the port into it. kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then how will you take the woofer out if it needs servicing without damaging the port?
Good point. I did brace the port into place and just put a little wad of adhesive where the port meets the magnet (I had to clearance it slightly actually.)

I am also going to attach the back of the enclosure with speaker sealing tape (got from PE) and screws so I can take the whole back off if desired.

ignore that loose wire.. havent tacked it down yet. :)

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts