DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if any of you guys have encountered any issues with your dc-dc converters in your electric cars/hybrids when using high power amplifiers.

If so, please let me know what cars of this type have issues/malfunctions as a result.

Crutchfield mentions limiting aftermarket audio in hybrids to 350 watts to be safe. I'm sure a lot of you guys are running much more.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I’m in the middle of an install in a plug in Prius and everything has been going well. Hooked up 600W to midbass and tweeters, plan on using around 800 in the end. I’ve been trying to use more efficient amps and will end up using the VX 800.8 from JL that has a 80 A current draw. I may put in an XD500 as well, which would add another 30A.
If you go on the Prius forums, there’s a ton of evidence of people going with some decently high power. A few installers I talked to hadn’t ever had any problems either, but figured it wasn’t a bad thing to try to keep the current draw reasonable while doing the system.
The Prius forums have more of the technical data about the converters, but at least anecdotally, you don’t have to be as conservative as Crutchfield suggests

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Christian brauneis is a multi time Emma European champion in master with a Tesla, he has a boot full of brax amps, brax 8” in the kicks, pioneer Prs mids and rainbow tweeters on the a pillars and a brax sub, he definitely has a good chunk of power to use and has no issues I know of

·
Registered
806 Posts
I had a setup in an Accord Hybrid, and currently using the same setup in a Nissan Leaf with no discernible change in capacity, range or voltage fluctuations. I've got two PG 5 channel amps, processor and a few extra parts/pieces.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Don’t buy cheap amplifiers with low efficiency. My Rockford is around 85% efficient but I’ve seen amp dyno videos with taramps(and other cheap amplifiers) class D amps in the 50-60% range :(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts