DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HRT has a product called iStreamer
High Resolution Technologies : iStreamer

it connects to your iphone or iPad digitally and uses a superior DAC to convert to 2.25v rms according to their PDF spec sheet.

http://hirestech.com/pdf/HRT-iStreamer.pdf

I've been looking to upgrade my sound from my iPhone which I use for 90% of my music in the car. The DAC was my main focus to improve sound.

originally I was thinking of a digital out dock. I was already researching how to install the inverter to power the PURE i-20 and Musical Fidelity DAC.

PURE i-20 --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> AUX Input on my Clarion HX-D10 deck

But this HRT iStreamer allows me to use my iphone as a pre amp instead and one less component in the data stream (eliminate the Clarion Deck)

iPhone --> HRT iStreamer --> Crystal Line Driver --> Xtant P500 EQ ---> JL 300/4 AMP

only unknown is if the iPhone outputs digital as a true continuous line out or do I actually have volume control on the phone.

I'm from the home audio mindset, Keep it Simple, for the data path. The minimal amount of D/A, A/D conversion, the shortest signal path and using the highest quality components/cables in that signal path.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
HRT has a product called iStreamer
High Resolution Technologies : iStreamer

it connects to your iphone or iPad digitally and uses a superior DAC to convert to 2.25v rms according to their PDF spec sheet.

http://hirestech.com/pdf/HRT-iStreamer.pdf

I've been looking to upgrade my sound from my iPhone which I use for 90% of my music in the car. The DAC was my main focus to improve sound.

originally I was thinking of a digital out dock. I was already researching how to install the inverter to power the PURE i-20 and Musical Fidelity DAC.

PURE i-20 --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> AUX Input on my Clarion HX-D10 deck

But this HRT iStreamer allows me to use my iphone as a pre amp instead and one less component in the data stream (eliminate the Clarion Deck)

iPhone --> HRT iStreamer --> Crystal Line Driver --> Xtant P500 EQ ---> JL 300/4 AMP

only unknown is if the iPhone outputs digital as a true continuous line out or do I actually have volume control on the phone.I'm from the home audio mindset, Keep it Simple, for the data path. The minimal amount of D/A, A/D conversion, the shortest signal path and using the highest quality components/cables in that signal path.
Fixed level out. It puts the devices into lineout mode where the volume slider disappears. The i-20 does the same but it has a digital volume control built into the dock that works post ipod digital input and is functional on both the digital and analog outputs equally. It does seems to be of a lower quality digital attenuation resolution though so there could be a reduced dynamic range potential at very low volume settings.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/77343-iphone-3gs-unloaded-headphone-out-measurements.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/109034-pure-i-20-digital-ipod-dock-analog-output-rmaa-measurements.html

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed level out. It puts the devices into lineout mode where the volume slider disappears. The i-20 does the same but it has a digital volume control built into the dock that works post ipod digital input and is functional on both the digital and analog outputs equally. It does seems to be of a lower quality digital attenuation resolution though so there could be a reduced dynamic range potential at very low volume settings.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/77343-iphone-3gs-unloaded-headphone-out-measurements.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member-reviews-product-comparisons/109034-pure-i-20-digital-ipod-dock-analog-output-rmaa-measurements.html
I guess I'll use the Aux-in on the Clarion deck then...scrap the pre-amp idea...BUT I just looked further into the iStreamer...it uses a standard USB port to power so I don't even need an inverter. That's AWESOME!!! Just hardwire a USB port that has 2A capability or get a cigarette plug.

http://hirestech.com/pdf/iStreamer_setup.pdf

At least it's a cleaner solution than adding an inverter or the PURE i-20 dock + another DAC. It's not the end of the world to use the clarion deck still and just upgrade the sound with a better DAC and Auxilary Input on the Clarion deck.

wow...time to visit my local HRT dealer. this is so worth the $200 TEST....the istreamer is definitely the way to go to upgrade the DAC on older decks that don't have direct USB digital input control or to bypass the crappy DAC's in some head units.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
soundman has been using it with most of their ipad installs with great success

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I guess I'll use the Aux-in on the Clarion deck then...scrap the pre-amp idea...BUT I just looked further into the iStreamer...it uses a standard USB port to power so I don't even need an inverter. That's AWESOME!!! Just hardwire a USB port that has 2A capability or get a cigarette plug.

http://hirestech.com/pdf/iStreamer_setup.pdf

At least it's a cleaner solution than adding an inverter or the PURE i-20 dock + another DAC. It's not the end of the world to use the clarion deck still and just upgrade the sound with a better DAC and Auxilary Input on the Clarion deck.

wow...time to visit my local HRT dealer. this is so worth the $200 TEST....the istreamer is definitely the way to go to upgrade the DAC on older decks that don't have direct USB digital input control or to bypass the crappy DAC's in some head units.
HRT makes an affordable cigarette to usb ~2amp usb plug. Dunno how clean it is but I imagine its good enough if the streamer conditions internally.

also remember that your headunits internal aux input quality (ie the ADC) matters just as much as the DAC of your source. So does how those electrical device interface (ie ground loops from different grounds and stuff).

You might also want to take the unit to an electronics store that can mod and see if they can tap into the ADC chips digital out traces. Then you can use a pure i-20 with a minidsp minidigi and send that signal straight into the DSP of the unit without any conversions. You'll also save money on the power supply for the pure since a generic one will work fine for digital outputs.

http://www.powerstream.com/dc6.htm

Or jsut get a true USB idevice headunit

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have a 2.1A mini plug (to charge iPhone or iPad) so that should power the iStreamer...but I would probably hardwire a USB port near the iStreamer's mounting position (glove box or under the seat).

the Aux-in port on my Clarion is decent I would think. It is a pre-amp model (HX-D10) and I've never had issue with the input sounding decent. Using a new USB deck would put me at the mercy of that deck's DAC and I just think it's wrong to buy a deck with built in power when I don't intend to use it. The iStreamer has gotten me excited about finally improving a weak link (iPhone's internal DAC).

it seems like a simpler install than incorporating a PURE-i20 and another DAC box (need inverter). Although that was the plan until this morning. I even just picked up a Dock Xtender cable to test last week.

HRT makes an affordable cigarette to usb ~2amp usb plug. Dunno how clean it is but I imagine its good enough if the streamer conditions internally.

also remember that your headunits internal aux input quality (ie the ADC) matters just as much as the DAC of your source. So does how those electrical device interface (ie ground loops from different grounds and stuff).

You might also want to take the unit to an electronics store that can mod and see if they can tap into the ADC chips digital out traces. Then you can use a pure i-20 with a minidsp minidigi and send that signal straight into the DSP of the unit without any conversions. You'll also save money on the power supply for the pure since a generic one will work fine for digital outputs.

12 volt to 1.5, 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 volt switching DC/DC converters with 2 amp output car adapter.

Or jsut get a true USB idevice headunit

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I even just picked up a Dock Xtender cable to test last week.
love that cable. it's still the only one on the market that allows full pass-thru on an iphone/ipod.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
I already have a 2.1A mini plug (to charge iPhone or iPad) so that should power the iStreamer...but I would probably hardwire a USB port near the iStreamer's mounting position (glove box or under the seat).

the Aux-in port on my Clarion is decent I would think. It is a pre-amp model (HX-D10) and I've never had issue with the input sounding decent. Using a new USB deck would put me at the mercy of that deck's DAC and I just think it's wrong to buy a deck with built in power when I don't intend to use it. The iStreamer has gotten me excited about finally improving a weak link (iPhone's internal DAC).

it seems like a simpler install than incorporating a PURE-i20 and another DAC box (need inverter). Although that was the plan until this morning. I even just picked up a Dock Xtender cable to test last week.
Yup, seems likethathead unit should have a quality AUX in. Do you know if it can handle the stronger output voltage of the istreamer? If it can't, you'll get clipping for sure. Does it have a source level adjustment.

Edit: Just read in the manual it does have an SLA option. Doesn't say exactly how it works though. ie whether it is an analog voltage divider or a gain only function for unusually low input voltages. I'd check for AUX clipping by running a -1dB 1kHz tone through it and see how it behaves.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, seems likethathead unit should have a quality AUX in. Do you know if it can handle the stronger output voltage of the istreamer? If it can't, you'll get clipping for sure. Does it have a source level adjustment.

Edit: Just read in the manual it does have an SLA option. Doesn't say exactly how it works though. ie whether it is an analog voltage divider or a gain only function for unusually low input voltages. I'd check for AUX clipping by running a -1dB 1kHz tone through it and see how it behaves.
Yes there is a SLA on the deck. They have a choice of low/mid/high for the Aux Sensitivity.

Went by the local dealer for The Istreamer but they closed early. Sign said 8pm but it was only 7:40. I will swing by tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts