DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

for the most part, we prefer to work on full projects from start to finish, rarely do we do only part of an install that was completed by another shop.

but this was one of those rare exceptions...the main reason being that the shop that performed the previous installation was Sound Innovations, good friends of ours and an EXTREMELY good and professional outfit that turns out work that i have been gazing at for a very long time :)

The car had an original installation with Audison Thesis amps, they had some issues with thermal protection running in pure A class mode, and a third party shop installed a very big fan system that was very loud. The customer frequently drives his car for over 4-5 hours so this was very important. He also wanted to gain a bit of headroom and run a bit more power to it. we also decided to do a processor change at the same time.

Sound Innovations was undergoing a move to a new location at the time so we took the project on :)

Having said that, i am sure many of you can imagine that doing an amp swap to a fully customized install is anything but simple, the new amps are much larger than before and had to be arranged in a totally different configuration...meaning we had to match the original design and shape of the trunk the best we can...

Though it is only a partial system, it was perhaps one of the more challenging builds from a design standpoint...so here is the result :)

first, a shot of the previous build, nearly flawless execution as SI is known for, with three floating thesis amps upfront and two fully molded and trimmed enclosures housing Focal 8" utopia subs.

the car previously ran an audison bitone, and the controller, along with the display and control unit of a passport 9500CI radar system, was molded into the ashtray assembly:

so first issue that joey got to tackle was somehow integrating the MUCH larger Mosconi DSP controller into the same space, and relocate the radar accessories. here is the finished result.

the mosconi controller was completely molded into the ashtray assembly, and the two radar units were relocated to the factory dash panel above:

this was alot of work, first, joey completely took apart the mosconi controller so that only the board and front fascia (after trimming) was left:

the old ashtray mold was cut apart, and the new fascia was molded in:

the board and knob was then secured back in place, and the covering film was removed from the fascia and reattached, so its a continuous assembly in the ashtray:

so thats it for the interior. moving to the trunk...so in place for the 3 Audison amps, we had to somehow fit these beasts:

that is two Mosconi A-class and two Mosconi Zero 3s...the two A class will power the installed utopia no.7 midrange and tweeter, while the two zero 3s will power the midbass and the two focal subs. quite a lot of gear...and we had to do them in a way that helps with cooling.

so here is what joey came up with, with the trunk open a carpeted top cover is on a vinyled fake floor. it curves downward so the full extent of the subbox can still be scene. the frontal wall of the subbox was extended and the vinyl/alcantara trim theme extended:

pop off the grille and here is what you see, the four mosconi amps are lined up bow to stern with a divider in the middle. not the cosmetic grille at the front of the assembly and the two grilles at the rear corners:

those grilles are not just there for looks but forms a push/pull fan cooling system that joey came up wtih. with in each of the two back corner grille are two ultra quiet fans, they draw air from the front center grille, flows them past the heatsinks of the amps, and pushes them back out at the rear. This circulations helps as A class amps, as you know, are known to run hot.

we are pleased to say that the customer went on a 6 hour drive and the amps did not thermal :D

now lets take a look at some build pics, whcih will be a bit sparse as we werent sure if we were gonna get enough pics to do a build log haha

first, joey built the bottom foundation board, it allows everything else to attach but also hold two key pieces, the mosconi 6ot8v8 on the left, and apreviously installed ipod to optical interface on the right.

here it is test fitted in the car and then with the two trays attached and painted black:

this is the rack that houses the 6to8, with the SP-DIF multi board attached:

due to the complete change in design, we had to come up wtih a way to mount the mobridge unit and the power/ground distribution, these ended up on individual racks that mounted to the front side of the sub enclousres:

here is the front two amps in place showing the ipod adapter and the mosconi dsp:

here is the aforementioned attachment panels for the mobridge and the power/ground distribution:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Joey then turned his attention to the top floor cover, which is a combo MDF/fiberglass piece that flows down to the bottom edges of the sub enclosures it is actually many pieces in one and requires a lot of detailed fabrication to ensure proper fitment. Joey spent quite a bit of time in this :)

i will just let the pictures do the talking:

these are the individual press fit grille pieces, wrapped in vinyl and paintd mesh attached:

and here ist he top cover panel, before and after upholstery:

since the previous design had the amps taking up the space upfront and our design had them in the floor, we had to extend the subenclosure all the way to the backseat, so joey fabricated these pieces, and used of the same material from a panel we removed, and reattached the upholstery back on for a continuous look, the difference in color you see is mostly due to the dust on the subenclsoures:

at the same, we noticed the roof panel had a lil bit of vinyl pealing due to a very drastic shaped curve, so joey took it, smooth it out and rewrapped it:

a final touch showcasing joeys attention to detail is this, and kinda mind boggling to me as i would never consider doing it. the fans we got had logo stickers on the center, joey did not want those to be visible through the grille mesh, so using a socket as a template, he routered out four abs disks that cover the logos on the fans :eek:...

here is all that jazz:

and a final shot of the amps without the floor cover, we were able to reuse most of the speaker wires from the original install:

so thats it..i never really got to hear how it sounded before but it is very nice now. stage is nice and high half way up the windshield with good depth, tonally it has a lot of detail and superb midbass impact. i never really worked with these focal 8s but boy they really impressed me, they are effortless in producing the "big" bass lines that were present on various songs and i really would not have believed that they were 8s...a nod here goes to the awesome work Sound Innovations did on the enclosures.

anyway, pretty unique project...hope yall enjoy it :D

cheers,

Bing

·
Registered
122 Posts
you did an interesting swap, the amps seems more tight than before but hopefully the bigger size of the mosconi is used in more heat dissipation, you also achieve a very functional configuration, now seems totally secure to use the trunk for anything.

thanks again SIS, incredible work and very generous on your part sharing all your work with us!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Once again guys, your combined effort as a TEAM shows outstanding quality and workmanship. If I only had the TIME myself to pull this type of quality work off. You guys are my HERO's !!!!!!!!!

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you guys are amazing. how long does it take to do a install like this?
a lot of times things like this are hard to estimate since we didnt work on it continuously, this was almost all joey, with a lil bit of jesses help. i just did the tuning.

but looking back, i would say easily 60-70hrs went into it if not more...a lot of the detail work, though doesnt seem huge when done, really is time consuming :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
a lot of times things like this are hard to estimate since we didnt work on it continuously, this was almost all joey, with a lil bit of jesses help. i just did the tuning.

but looking back, i would say easily 60-70hrs went into it if not more...a lot of the detail work, though doesnt seem huge when done, really is time consuming :)
cool thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
what do you have controlling the fans? is it temp set or always on?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts