DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a recent auto accident (a guy running from the cops totaled me out), I was able to grab a vehicle I've wanted since I was a kid- a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It's been years since I've had a ride that was worthy of a custom system, or the disposable cash to do it, so I decided to dive in.

It's been 20 yrs or so since I last installed a system. It was a Phoenix Gold Cyclone (I still kick myself for getting rid of it now) powered by a ZX950, with PG components up front (backed up by 8" midbasses in the kickpanels). Alpine HU and processors finished the install.

Imagine my shock when I began researching for THIS system, and I saw what has become of my blessed Phoenix Gold. 馃ぃ I can't even check out the most recent install mags- CA&E, AS&S, etc are ALL gone. I feel like a dinosaur. Heck, THIS site wasn't even around.

So, I'm back again, like I never left. I've got a potential system diagram working itself out-but I have a few questions coming shortly. Let's see where this goes.

Registered
Due to a recent auto accident (a guy running from the cops totaled me out), I was able to grab a vehicle I've wanted since I was a kid- a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. It's been years since I've had a ride that was worthy of a custom system, or the disposable cash to do it, so I decided to dive in.

It's been 20 yrs or so since I last installed a system. It was a Phoenix Gold Cyclone (I still kick myself for getting rid of it now) powered by a ZX950, with PG components up front (backed up by 8" midbasses in the kickpanels). Alpine HU and processors finished the install.

Imagine my shock when I began researching for THIS system, and I saw what has become of my blessed Phoenix Gold. I can't even check out the most recent install mags- CA&E, AS&S, etc are ALL gone. I feel like a dinosaur. Heck, THIS site wasn't even around.

So, I'm back again, like I never left. I've got a potential system diagram working itself out-but I have a few questions coming shortly. Let's see where this goes.
I feel your pain, I'm 50. The great old brands are crap now, but power is dirt cheap and dsp's are freaking amazing. The old standby, Orion is still making amazingly powerful amps, not the greatest quality but rock solid and insanely underrated monoblock subwoofer amps. JL Audio is still awesome, and still expensive, at least for their top tier stuff, their lower tier stuff (RD and XD amps, C3 components) is great and reasonably priced.
Just shop around A LOT, do your research, and you can end up with a system that far surpasses your memory of that old system, for less money.

Registered
I had a Cyclone when they were new, and even used it in my sq competition car back then. it really shines where it is good, it also had it's definitive drawbacks. But it was a financial disaster as a project, I saw a recent interview with one of the founders of PG (was it possibly the 12VT Talk podcast?), and it cost way more to produce than what they could sell them for.

There was another concept/design of rotary subwoofers some years later, but this acted more like a spinning fan that modulated the output.

Registered
I agree it鈥檚 a shame that so many of the great brands from the past are not what they used to be. But there are numerous great options for lower cost amplification and proper use of a DSP can aleviate so many challenges of the past. While car audio has changed drastically, it鈥檚 now much easier to get great sound.

Reactions: bbfoto

Super Moderator
Just a jump to the left...........

WELCOME...!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.