DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It started out innocently enough- I purchased a used Acura Vigor from my ex wife-- yes you can still be friends --she said she would leave the majority of the stereo system except the McIntosh MC420 that I had bought her. She said the MB Quarts are no longer working (front stage) but the old Rockford Fosgate's (rear deck mount and I forget the model) still work. The Eclipse head unit was giving her problems also. For the low end there is an Eclipse 88015 15" sub and a RF 800a2.
Well I started looking around for some inexpensive component sets to replace the quarts- I went to the car sound discussion forum to see what speakers people thought were good for the money and saw a post by Npdang that lead me to this great site. After a little research I decided to get the Seas CA 18's and the Hiquphon OW2's (or so I thought.) I went on ebay and bid on a 10W7 to replace the Eclipse 88015. I was pretty happy with how things were going untill I got that dreadful email--You've Been Outbid!-- **ck! Ok so what was I going to do now, well I have a pair of Veritas Horn bodies I could put Radian 475pb's on, x-over the top end using either the Max Fidelity or LPG in the sail panel, purchase a set of Image Dynamics 8" V.3 Dual 2 ohm for the kick's, and keep the Eclipse Sub.
Now I am seeing all these rave reviews of ribbon speakers which has peaked my interst because the most realistic system I've ever heard was a pair of Quad Grand's (true full range ribbon driver's) and a Velodyne sub.
some of the questions I have are--will the LCY be able to give you the impact, dynamics and center imaging that is possible with the Horns- what 8" midbass/midrange could keep up with the ribbons transient response. If I use ribbons near the kickpanel should I put the 8"'s on the front floor board's in their own enclosure furthest from the center of the car?

What I have to play with right now are 2 - Xtant 301a's (300 watt mono amps) dedicated for the midbass drivers, a 200ix for either the Radian 475pb compression driver or LCY 130's, Rockford Fosgate 800a2 for the Eclipse 15" sub ( I will change it out later for an Adire or Jl ) a Samson dual 1/3 octave eq, a behringer pro 3 way crossver. I was about to purchase the Sony FX7715 for a headunit.

Music I listen to is Tool, Dj Shadow, Radiohead, Zepplin, Oakenfold, Cure etc etc..

Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

P.S. I hate you Npdang for all the sleepless nights I've had since finding this website!
:D

·
Registered
265 Posts
If I use ribbons near the kickpanel should I put the 8"'s on the front floor board's in their own enclosure furthest from the center of the car?
From my experience, the 8" would really need a large enclosure to sound right. The Vigor has speakers in the doors right? Maybe you can fit the Seas CA18RNX in there (it'll give you plenty of midbass) and put the ribbons in kicks. A well dampened door would really make those Seas shine (check out this guide to dampen your doors if you haven't already: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29). I head those ribbons on Npdang's car and they sound great! If you're on a budget, you can go with the LPG 25NFA, I'm getting those myself too! (I can't wait!)

David

P.S. I started out innocently too!! (didn't we all!) I bought a Honda accord with one working speaker! I put a set of orion components, but didn't like the midbass, now I find myself picking up DIY drivers and making my car audio dream come true. Possible because of this site! Raw drivers are so cheap compare to the branded stuff that I never could afford!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
xDeLiRiOuSx let me know how you like it, my best friend wants to put a small system back in his car( he was just robbed a week ago) those speakers, from what people are saying, seem to be a great value.

--- I used to work for Sensuous Sounds in Tampa we sold Jl, Eclipse, McIntosh, Alpine, Quart. I really had a good time. That was probably 10 years ago. Out of all the system's we installed I think there were only about 2 cars that absolutely blew me away, one was with an all Image Dynamics setup in a honda civic---- we were installing an alarm for him, after it was installed we had the car for a couple days before he came to pick it up, every chance I got I would go listen to it. I would play Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason- I have no words to describe it other than I had chills the whole time. I just couldnt believe it. The car was tuned very well, everything was spot on. He had IDQ 8's in the kicks Comp 2's under dash and 2 15's in the trunk, however they were sealed into the cabin.
I 've been through numerous systems with Audison amps, Mac's, Rockford Fosgates, Scan Speak Revelators, Quart Q's, Rockford comps, Boston pro's, Dynaudios, McIntosh (Vifa's) and a few others--- nothing ever gave me that effect again ( except the home audio system owned by the home audio salesperson , Gary, who had the Apogee Studio Grands, driven by Krells(not that it matters, right Richard :wink: ) with the Velodyne sub.
I then got married, and well, car audio had to take the back seat.
Ive been divorced for a couple years but I never really got back into it untill I found this site which reminded me of how much fun it can be.

So I guess the point of all this is I want that EXCEPTIONAL system now. I will admit that 80% of it is in the install using proper enclosure design, doing everything possible to lower the noise floor in the vehicle.etc etc
I am trying to choose what TYPE of system I am going to run. Will you hear the ribbons ability to produce micro detail in the car enviornment while driving? Do they offer the experience of being enveloped in the performance? That is what I remember about the civic- I could get completely lost in the musical experience. It was the same for the Apogee's.

I know a HLCD setup can be an awsome experience- I am debating on wether or not I might have an even BETTER experience with the ribbons.
As far as the 8"s go I can cut the floor board and have an enclose welded up, the ID's take up only .25 cuft , they will work for the horns but I dont think they will have the response time needed to couple with the ribbons so any suggestions for a driver would be welcome.
hey xDeLiRiOuSx, thanks for you input.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No Problem! Good luck with your system. I am in the process of ordering the LPG + SEAS combo, I will let you know how they install (probably in about 2 or 3 weeks)

David

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
the ID8v3 is strictly a subwoofer unlike the idq's. you need a different set of mids

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kappa funny you should mention that- I talked to Shawn at ID and he said the v.3 ID's would work. Unfortunatly, having seen the spec sheet for myself I think your write. I'll try checking out what Adire has to offer. Maybe one of the Seas will work- I'll have to model a couple speakers out to see what I can come up with.
an other suggestions?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ribbons are very dynamic drivers. Especially the very long ones like the G3's I currently have at ~100dbwm. The LCY's however give improved vertical dispersion and ambiance with their shorter, wider, radiating surface and horn loading.

I also really like the Peerless xls 8". My favorite 8" mid/bass (not subwoofer).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that works for me. Ok---- so I will be purchasing the Fountek neopro 5i and the Peerless xls from npdang. As the equipment comes in and I start gutting the car I will take pictures so you guys can follow along on this ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts